Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Which old school carb thumper?  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Hardy de Kock

• Vendors
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • De Rust Outdoor
Re: Which old school carb thumper?
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2019, 08:18:25 pm »
Hardy,

I have owened a few bikes. Enjoied them and sold them again. My 2007 Fugly KLR is the one that will remain with me.

It is not the best thumper I think, but the best allrounder which I still enjoy most.

Show it on the poll DE!

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2019, 10:06:29 pm »
I think it all depends on who will be riding it. If it is going to be clients (aka backup bike or such) then I would go DR. I think the DR is just a little gentler and lower than the XR and possibly a bit more hardy (see what I did there  :deal: ).

If it was for myself I would go XR. I reckon the XR is the best all rounder by far, great offroad as well all things considered. Simplicity and functionality wins it for me.
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline Sabre

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2019, 10:26:00 pm »
What amount of oil does the fugly use over a 1000k ride?
You and @Vintage Mania do not seem to share the oil user opinion?
I have a 2008 model. It started using oil at around 8000 km, got progressively worse until it used a liter of oil per 1000 km at 14000 km. Had it re-bored and a new piston fitted.(Despite me showing the e-mail that I sent to the dealership, inside the warranty period, telling them that the bike used oil, they only gave me a small discount on spares, and I had to carry the cost of them fixing a well known problem because the job was done outside the warranty period) I then ran it in the same way as when I bought it, and it now sits at 77000 km. It uses about a 100 ml between 5000 km services.

When I bought the KLR, I seriously considered the DR, but that small petrol tank swung the deal towards the KLR

As has been said many times before, the KLR is not the best in a specific area, but is extremely good as an overall adventure bike. As long as you don't pillion.....
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline Neo_za

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2019, 10:48:52 pm »

Did the Shnitz 685 and oil burn gone plus smoother and pulls better.
I bought it - and I am now happier than I was 5 minutes ago. Thanks
Congratulations.  Do you plan to use the KLR for your trips?

Yes, I was impressed with Oubones's KLR on a trip we did together, despite the oil usuage.
For 30k it seems like a serious bargain - and I can rent it to the guys that only have big machines, but want to come on a trip with us.

Was due to accidental dust ingress. Busy rebuilding it and all will be good again.

Offline Hardy de Kock

• Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2019, 05:03:14 am »

Did the Shnitz 685 and oil burn gone plus smoother and pulls better.
I bought it - and I am now happier than I was 5 minutes ago. Thanks
Congratulations.  Do you plan to use the KLR for your trips?

Yes, I was impressed with Oubones's KLR on a trip we did together, despite the oil usuage.
For 30k it seems like a serious bargain - and I can rent it to the guys that only have big machines, but want to come on a trip with us.

Was due to accidental dust ingress. Busy rebuilding it and all will be good again.

What I found interesting was the fact that Oubones prior to the trip (by his own admission) had very little sand riding experience. In fact, on the first day he struggled hugely. After some roadside one on one time with @Dirtrat he suddenly emerged as someone who had been riding sand for yonks.
The bike smoked and puffed, and riding behind it was a nightmare, but it just kept on riding.
The sandy sections in the Marienfluss was the great test for Hennie (Oubones), yet he and the bike made it look easy.
I know Craig (Dirtrat) is a good teacher, and I believe Hennie did what he was told to do, but I also believe that he had the right bike, which aided his confidence.

The following users thanked this post: Oubones

Offline Hardy de Kock

• Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2019, 05:08:38 am »
As far as fuel consumption is concerned, I do believe the KLR and the DR has the upper hand over the XR.
I used to get at least 20km per liter on the DR's and some of our staff who rode KLR's got even more.
I do not get that with the XR's - not by a long shot. Have to admit though, I ride the XR a lot harder. Zero experience on the XT's or the 640's.

Online 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2019, 06:34:40 am »
As far as fuel consumption is concerned, I do believe the KLR and the DR has the upper hand over the XR.
I used to get at least 20km per liter on the DR's and some of our staff who rode KLR's got even more.
I do not get that with the XR's - not by a long shot. Have to admit though, I ride the XR a lot harder. Zero experience on the XT's or the 640's.

One will have to ride the Xt600 with a stingy throttle hand to make 21km/lt, usually around 18/19.

The following users thanked this post: Hardy de Kock

Offline the ruffian

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2019, 10:48:28 am »
I own both a DR and a KLR ( more recently).

Both have bigger aftermarket tanks.

I love them both. Neither uses any oil at all. The Fugly (used to be Piet’s , on this forum, before he emigrated to Oz) is now at 90,000 ks. Was sorted with the Schnitz 685 kit by Groenie, and has Wilber’s springs front and back. My DR has 30,000 ks and is stock, apart from the tank.

Mostly I ride backcountry dirt with the most technical riding being the side entry to the Baviaanskloof, or the Antoniesberg/Grootrivierpoort iteration.... so mostly ‘gravel highway’ (often a misnomer!).

On recent trips to the Northern Cape I averaged 23ks/l on the DR and, I kid you not, 27ks/l on the Groenie-sorted KLR. Yes, triple checked it : over 2000ks, mostly gravel and admittedly windless or with a tailwind, and at 4000rpm (which is 90-100kph)!!!

I was going to choose between the two, but I’m a ballie, and what the hell, why not keep both and just rotate?!

Hardy, I know you were always a DR man (in fact you inspired me to get one), but you are not going to be disappointed by that KLR that you you’ve just bought.

Online capeklr

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2019, 11:06:35 am »
KLR all the way.
I have one of the rare C models with upgraded suspension front and rear.
Easily did Van Zyls pass on her.
Great I sand.
Only problem with the C model is the small fuel tank, as a result of which I've twice had to be towed.

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2019, 11:26:32 am »
Pity the Honda XL 600 LMF was / is not available.
I just love my old 1984 tractor.
Electric and kick start
Tubeless rims
28 liter fuel tank
Carb

Everything can be fixed on this bike anywhere in the bundu

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Hardy de Kock

• Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2019, 01:21:43 pm »
Electric and kick start
Tubeless rims
28 liter fuel tank
Carb

Stunning bike that :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Online Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2019, 01:30:52 pm »
Electric and kick start
Tubeless rims
28 liter fuel tank
Carb

Stunning bike that :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

And in the same breath... the DR750. Such a pity they were never put into our market. Even though mine was farked, it was still the best thumper I ever had.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

…, I wish I could own them all, and until I can afford to own them all at once, I will own them one at a time... 

Offline Rooivark

• Bike: Honda XR650R
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2019, 09:15:40 am »
2004 Honda XR650R

Offline raphaeltube

« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2019, 10:04:40 am »
My vote is the KLR followed closely by the DR.

The only one I've actually owned is the XR650L, and while I really enjoyed riding it, it gave me endless hassles.
My brother has the DR, and I borrowed it for a longish trip, and really liked it.

When I was looking for one of these bikes, I discounted the KLR because it's water cooled. My thinking at the time was simpler is better. But I've changed my mind. I now think the water cooled engine is a pro not a con. *on that note, I would call the DR oil cooled, not air cooled. The KLR also seems to be tho most affordable to buy, run & maintain.
I have been quite impressed by friends' KLRs on trips.

I rode a friends XT once, and was really unimpressed.

I think that because the XR has such great handling off road, peolpe forget something very important: it's the 'L' version, or 'road' version, and was never meant to be ridden hard or for long trips off road. The guys who swaer by them, and say they are bullet proof and last for ever, are the same guys who ride them mostly on roads (or gravel highways) and only do the occasional weekend rampage off road.
But although they feel great off road, they can't actually take much of it, and importantly: they were never meant to.

-R
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 10:14:22 am by raphaeltube »
!

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2019, 10:11:34 am »
I have never owned a 650L but have always heard about oil usage and sub frames breaking not sure how many of them this affects. Plenty of riders swear by them. DR's I have only heard of Ganjoras breaking  :peepwall: All round pretty solid. KLr's I have ridden, they have a great motor with nice low down torque. Suspension needs work. Never ridden a XT600 but again reliable as a DR but slower. I would say the 640 is actually a generation newer than the Japanese thumpers mentioned.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 10:13:20 am by sidetrack »
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2019, 10:17:14 am »
I voted DR and XT 600.

They are the two old school thumpers on the list I like the most.

If there were a list that included water cooled thumpers I would have listed a Dakar top of my list.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2019, 10:45:55 am »
If there were a list that included water cooled thumpers I would have listed a Dakar top of my list.

KLR is water cooled....
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2019, 10:46:21 am »
DR 650 - besides its suspension shortfalls after upgrades done its the first choice for a long African trip due to reliability and ease of repair.
KTM 640 - Besides the vibration at a certain rev range a bike with top notch suspension to take anything thrown at it. Fun at every twist.

Difficult decision had to be made as I have 4 of the 5 in my garage. As stated above all very good bikes that will always have loving followers.
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline Hardy de Kock

• Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2019, 11:06:48 am »
My vote is the KLR followed closely by the DR.

The only one I've actually owned is the XR650L, and while I really enjoyed riding it, it gave me endless hassles.
My brother has the DR, and I borrowed it for a longish trip, and really liked it.

When I was looking for one of these bikes, I discounted the KLR because it's water cooled. My thinking at the time was simpler is better. But I've changed my mind. I now think the water cooled engine is a pro not a con. *on that note, I would call the DR oil cooled, not air cooled. The KLR also seems to be tho most affordable to buy, run & maintain.
I have been quite impressed by friends' KLRs on trips.

I rode a friends XT once, and was really unimpressed.

I think that because the XR has such great handling off road, peolpe forget something very important: it's the 'L' version, or 'road' version, and was never meant to be ridden hard or for long trips off road. The guys who swaer by them, and say they are bullet proof and last for ever, are the same guys who ride them mostly on roads (or gravel highways) and only do the occasional weekend rampage off road.
But although they feel great off road, they can't actually take much of it, and importantly: they were never meant to.

-R

I disagree

What problems did you have with your XR?
Ask any of the guys or girls that did Namibia trips with us what they thought of the XR's on the trips.
These bikes work really hard and I have never had a problem with them.
As far as cost of ownership is concerned, what makes the KLR cheaper than the XR or DR?
Your assumption and stereotyping of XR owners is a joke :imaposer:

Offline raphaeltube

« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2019, 12:05:12 pm »
What problems did you have with your XR?
Multiple cracks in frame (not sub frame).
 -stripped & had welded as well as added extra reinforcing, then powder coated etc...
Years later: More cracks in different areas of frame (not sub frame).

Valve seat dropped out, causing major engine damage.
 -rebore, repair etc. After careful ride-in, engine seize.
 -rebore, etc. Years later different valve seat dropped.

I had to repair the stator coil at one stage.
I had multiple spokes snap.
Clutch plates didn't seem to last very long.
Idling issues.
fuel line issues.
etc, etc.

The point is, it was out cold too often when I wanted to use it.
I ended up riding my brothers DR, a friends XR250, my wifes DR250. -I even did a trip on my Ninja (to Beverlac).

As far as cost of ownership is concerned, what makes the KLR cheaper than the XR or DR?
Cheaper to buy the bike (was the main thing that made me consier a KLR when I was loooking)
More efficient (certainly than the XR).
Cheaper and more readily available parts.

I stand by my coments, but note: it's not all XR owners. -just the ones who say how bullet proof they are.
I have 2 other friends who own or have owned an XR (and who loved riding them, or at least had a love/hate thing going like me), but who will never call them bullet proof.

-R
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 12:09:23 pm by raphaeltube »
!