Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Ben 10 meets MacGyver  (Read 965 times)

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
Ben 10 meets MacGyver
« on: September 10, 2019, 07:19:50 pm »
In the middle of normal day to day rush I finally got a gap to get away on the bike. This time we were going to be just 3,myself on the 1190, Pieter on a 640 and Theo on a Honda 250L. Come to think of it, all of our riding experiece was equal to the age of our bikes as well.

This time we were going to do the Ben 10 challenge in 3 days. I have done most of the passes except for Ben Macdhui which have been eluding me. For the others this was either the first proper adventure trip or first time in the area.

So yes, this is another Ben10  ride report
And as for MacGyver... See pic for a clue...
A bad side wall cut spotted on the second morning, what options are there for situations like this? Some of you would have seen what we did on Facebook already..
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 07:21:02 pm by m0lt3n »
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

The following users thanked this post: Monkey#13

Offline katana

• One day when I grow up, I want to be a
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
Re: Ben 10 meets MacGyver
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 07:26:59 pm »
Subbed for the rest.

Is that a D606?
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Online Noneking

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 07:40:42 pm »
Sub
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 08:29:21 pm »
Yes D606.

The plan was to leave Friday after work, trailer to Rouxville (I had to have that name repeated, thought it's a joke) where Theo arranged for the car and trailer to stay.

Normally I can't take the bike to work, but this Friday I could/did and immediately found two issues. Murphy determined this morning as the right time to add some flavor.
I have been struggling badly with punctures lately, and bending rims, so got two new wheels for a good price with the intention of replacing the front which I did a weekend prior. The rims came with some well used tyres so I was planning to finish my new rear MotoZ first before sopping the rear wheel as well but for some reason this Motoz would leak on the bead at the slightest of smileys. I was not impressed, and had to make a quick plan to swop the wheels.

Yes, in the picture I had to take of that nice new aggressive Motoz and settle for a well used e07 for the trip.

The second issue was error warnings. Normal with a flat battery which I had a week prior, but this time it was not going away, though the bike started. Nothing I could do about that at such short notice so I was pretty worried as I loaded the bike on the trailer...
This was more than the 'normal' errors. MTC failure, General failure, Abs failure, ECU failure, no dongle, TPMS failure (understandable without my OEM rims), low oil pressure. I also had no rev counter, speed indication or gear indicator,no heat guage or fuel guage. Yes, I had nothing.
Not nice, but more on this later...

Third worry was if all three bikes would fit on the trailer, fortunately we could squeeze them in... Barely.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 08:31:03 pm by m0lt3n »

Offline katana

• Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 08:33:53 pm »
Looking forward to that MacGyver...

I am not surprised about it being a D606.  A great tire, but soft as marshmallows.
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 08:53:32 pm »
We were loaded up, set of from Kathu just after 3, slept over in Kimberley at my parents, got up again at 4:30 to set off for Rouxville where we were on the bikes a bit late at around 11:30 am only.

The route we were going to take was a shameless copy of the route the Country Trax guys did. Except they did it all in one day.
https://youtu.be/ki2W6w2Vy_4
During the course of the trip we discussed this a lot, they must be immensely bike fit to manage this all in one go, I consider myself fitter than average and wouldn't manage this in one go, at least not on the big bike.

I like these nice churches in the small towns which Lady Gray also had, where after Joubert's pass was first on the list. A nice intro to the trip of which I now can't remember much. Oeps.
The road condition was fairly good, we quickly got into a rhythm and also had to exercise a lot of restraint not to stop a lot to take photos, knowing it will just get better and better.

Halfway through we had a moment where we had to wait for Theo which pitched just when we wanted to go look for him. Turns out the 250 can also slide a bit, or a bit to much. A quick corrective bend of his rear brake and we were off again.

Good times with good views, it was good to be in the area again
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 08:56:00 pm by m0lt3n »

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 03:11:40 am »
Sub
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline Highsider

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I find your lack of faith disturbing - Darth Vadar
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 03:11:41 am »
Looking forward to your report.  Each Ben 10 adventure is unique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not what you ride, it's how you ride...
KTM 990 Adventure '08
BMW R850R '95
KTM 525 EXC '04

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 07:36:18 am »
Next up was Otto du Plessis pass. Not much to say, nice pass. Good views. Decent speeds could be maintained and I think also almost possible in a car, just not my car. We were making good time and the views were getting better and better. Also met another bike group on the roads but no real other traffic. A calm ride with nice snack time on a low water bridge, nice quiet recharge time.

I was still worried about all the warnings on my dash though, thinking and trying to figure out what it could be, thinking what I should check when we are done for the day. In the meantime I was enjoying the bike, full power and no nanny aids. The rear tyre was surprising me also with the amount of grip I had and my confidence was growing.

We were booked at Intaba lodge for the night. Just before Barkley pass we were done with still almost an hours daylight left, so the schedule worked very well, maybe to well, nothing hardcore 'adventurish' at all. I spent some time checking battery connections and leaving the battery disconnected for a while.

Dinner was a Pizza steak and it was awesome. Steak was done perfect and pizza topping on it tasted great. Picture doesn't do it justice, I will go back there just for that!

Going on about food, don't know if I am getting old or lazy, or both
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 07:42:43 am by m0lt3n »

Offline Monkey#13

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 08:10:21 am »
You forgot to mention the other traffic we met just below Otto du Plessis. A young girl (probably 12 / 13 yo) was driving a big old Land Cruiser with her two younger siblings as passengers. Must be one of the biggest joys of growing up on a farm. I'm sure that I would have been a much better driver, rider, tinkerer etc. if I had the same exposure as a kid!

It was also on Otto du Plessis where the penny dropped for me and the ride became more than just another ride but rather a ride where I can find some traction within myself. I grew up in Zastron and coming back to the area stirred up some emotions I was not quite prepared for. Being alone in my own helmet for a couple of hours every day made it all the better!

Offline Dirt Junkie

• I talk less and ride more than a
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 08:20:02 am »
sub
Something to think about...
When you complain, you make yourself a victim. Leave the situation, change the situation, or accept your it. All else is madness.

KTM 640 adv,  Aprilia RS 250, Yamaha YZ450F, 2014 KTM 690, 2010 KTM 690R, 2011 BMW F800GS, Yamaha XT600E , 2012 KTM 250 SX-F , KTM 400 EXC, Kawasaki  KLR650, Honda 125 estorm, 2012 KTM 300 XCW

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 08:58:09 am »
You forgot to mention the other traffic we met just below Otto du Plessis. A young girl (probably 12 / 13 yo) was driving a big old Land Cruiser with her two younger siblings as passengers. Must be one of the biggest joys of growing up on a farm. I'm sure that I would have been a much better driver, rider, tinkerer etc. if I had the same exposure as a kid!

I forgot this!
I also did not grow up in a farm, she was driving better than I did at 16!
I

Offline Lem

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 09:19:06 am »
sub :drif:
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 11:34:39 am »
The MacGyver instalment!

One thing you should never do on a trip is make a face when told earliest time for breakfast is at 8am. Things may change that you need to find out what is latest time...

In the morning while kitting up Theo noticed a large sidewall cut. A very large one. No clue as to how he got it we just eyed the 250 with new respect, ripping a tyre like that!
This was a potential DNF for the 250 so we were very worried, fortunately Pieter is quite handy and has also watched a few of Lyndon Poskitts vids, good guy to have along! He suggested wire stitches and we set about it.
He put the 'stitches' in with some wire he fortunately carried with. It was reasonably smooth on the inside but we went ahead and put a big tractor patch on the new tube as well to prevent the stitches from chafing through the tube. we then also put duc tape on the inside of the tube for extra measure and prevent grit from entering the wheel. Happy with our work we increased pressure from a previous 1.4 bar on the light bike to 2bar to help the tyre to flex less.

All good, the tyre lasted till the end of the trip, but did start to open up slightly.

We used the compressor on my bike to inflate that tyre and an hour later when we wanted to leave my bike was dead. Which explained my errors, the battery was fubar. The 640 had a hard time pulling me on the loose gravel before I successfully started in 3rd. I didn't struggle again after this, but did have a few close calls where you could hear that the starter laboured a little. I did have my warnings and basically no dash to the end of the trip.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 11:37:02 am by m0lt3n »

Offline Grunder

• Muscles can't buy mad dog!
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2019, 11:41:28 am »
wow!! nice stitching  :thumleft: :thumleft:
honda nc700x; bmw f800gs

Offline katana

• Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2019, 01:39:44 pm »
Nice trick  :thumleft:

Offline Monkey#13

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2019, 01:47:43 pm »
All credit here needs to go to Pieter. When I saw that gash on the side of the tyre I was convinced that it is trip over for me. Where do you source a bike tyre in Elliot, on a Sunday no less. Well you make do with what you have - lesson learned! It's supposed to be an adventure after all!

Offline Pietsjiet

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Ry net teerpad tot by volgende grondpad.
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2019, 04:49:10 pm »
Seen as there are so many ride reports done on the Ben 10 challenge, I would like to see someone reporting on the best direction to do each pass. That is for best challenge. And for best views. Because I think personally one have better views going down, but more of a challenge going up... 
Ek raak aan die slaap op die saal as ek teerpad ry.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2019, 08:48:24 pm »
Next up was Barkley pass. Iirc the only tar pass of the 10. Some more nice views and awesome to open up the 1190 a bit. Stopped for some pics and were off again.

Got on the route to Bastervoetpad pass where I could gun it a little more.  The first bit of gravel before hitting the pass is quick and fast. At the turn off we waited for the 250, which was not pitching. We went searching for him and found him in a ditch,unpacking tools. My first words were that I don't want to be an idiot but I hope he fell rather than that the rear tyre fix didn't hold. Turns out the front had a snake bite. The tyre wasn't hard enough, was around 1.1bar,normally fine on the lighter bike.

Anyhow, new for me was that we didn't take off the tyre but took the tube out and patched it. 10minutes later the tyre was patched and inflated. 20min after that Theo was packed up again and we could leave for Bastervoetpad pass which I was really looking forward to, I have done it previously.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 09:01:26 pm by m0lt3n »

Offline OomD

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2019, 06:38:07 am »
A snakebite at 1.1bar? He must've hit something really hard! Lekker RR so far! :thumleft: