Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Ben 10 meets MacGyver  (Read 964 times)

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
Re: Ben 10 meets MacGyver
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2019, 07:20:15 am »
A snakebite at 1.1bar? He must've hit something really hard! Lekker RR so far! :thumleft:

well, he forgot to actually check the pressures that morning but the previous day it was at 1.1bar.
On the 640 Pieter was at 1.4bar and on the 1190 after a lot of snake bite issues recently I was leaving it at 2.2bar on the front and back tyre.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2019, 07:27:54 am »
Bastervoetpad pass, a favourite of mine. I get the feeling it better known for being a difficult pass (when wet). For me this is a particularly scenic pass, imho it has the best views off all of the Ben 10 passes. We again had good weather and enjoyed taking a break at the top, just absorbing the scenery.

Not particularly technical, we enjoyed this before going down. I find the descent tedious though, you cant really get some speed up and its rather long to the tar.

I was disappointed with my photos in general for the trip, the lens cover is broken so there is dust on the lens screwing up a lot of photos. Coupled with that the veld wasn't really green so there wasn't a lot of colour to work with. a pity.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 07:33:30 am by m0lt3n »

Offline OomD

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2019, 07:36:57 am »
A snakebite at 1.1bar? He must've hit something really hard! Lekker RR so far! :thumleft:

well, he forgot to actually check the pressures that morning but the previous day it was at 1.1bar.
On the 640 Pieter was at 1.4bar and on the 1190 after a lot of snake bite issues recently I was leaving it at 2.2bar on the front and back tyre.
Some good info for us of little experience. :thumleft: Doing our Ben10 in 2 weeks, also 3 days, coincidentally the same route planned as you guys. So, reading your report with anticipation and enjoyment. :thumleft:

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2019, 09:36:12 am »
Ek hoor 'n mens moet Bastrvoet van die ONDERKANT doen anders is hy nie gedoen nie. :laughing4:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2019, 09:55:47 am »
Ek hoor 'n mens moet Bastrvoet van die ONDERKANT doen anders is hy nie gedoen nie. :laughing4:
Aag nee wat, teensy dit reen of sneeu is dit nou nie so rof nie, makisaak van waste kant. TTT en Ben Macdhui erger. Dalk Wartrail ook.

After finishing up on Bastervoetpad pass there was a bit of tar to do, refuel and Naudesnek.

Somewhere I read that Ugie wasn't a nice town and one should go to Maclear. And while we had no choice wrt fuel to fill up as late as possible, (more on this later) we did not enjoy Maclear at all. it was busy and frustrating. Ugie we passed a very nice Spar where we could have gotten a nice dinner/breakfast as we were not getting any at Rhodes that night - or so we thought. The KFC in Maclear did not have lettuce or icecream.

Anyhow, Naudesnek was fun. Fast roads where I could make some sand graffiti with my rear tyre. We made good progress and were having a great day.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 09:58:14 am by m0lt3n »

Online Noneking

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2019, 11:24:43 am »
Aag nee wat, teensy dit reen of sneeu is dit nou nie so rof nie, makisaak van waste kant. TTT en Ben Macdhui erger. Dalk Wartrail ook.

Stem saam, TTT was rofste op ons trip en Ben Mac was intimiderend. Volunteershoek was baie rof, maar ons is teen hom af so nie te erg op die dag
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2019, 11:27:23 am »
Wartrail / Volunteershoek hoort in toekoms bekend te staan as Jumping pass!!  daai was vet pret, kon die 1190 suspensie mooi saggies tot op limit vat daar af!

Online trevo

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2019, 11:35:24 am »
Wartrail / Volunteershoek hoort in toekoms bekend te staan as Jumping pass!!  daai was vet pret, kon die 1190 suspensie mooi saggies tot op limit vat daar af!

Was 2 up met n vol gelaaide 1150 teen Volunteershoek uit net na dit met n dozer verniel was, hier by die 10de hek het my vrou begin opgee, lol, haar darem bederf met n oorslaap by Tiffendale vir haar deursettings vermoe
As jy onderkant van Volunteershoekpas kom net na die boom gate draai links so kilometer hou weer links dan kom jy by die "rock pool " uit
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 11:42:34 am by trevo »

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2019, 11:53:32 am »
nou se jy ons van die rock pool!

Die hekke was redelik oop gewees toe ons gery het, nooit regtig veel gekry nie, ook meer op TTT. nie juis op Wartrail nie.

Lekker styl pas daai, ons het nogal ernstig oorweeg om hom weer op te ry net vir die pret, maar tyd dit nie toegelaat nie en die lywe het ook maar begin moeg raak. Goeie werk daar op met pillion.

Ek moet seker focus en volgende hopie fotos filter

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2019, 12:06:45 pm »

Ek sal sÍ op is verseker harder maar nogsteeds nie super erg nie. Die enigste rede hoekom ek gesukkel het was nul fiksheid en gebrek aan TITS.
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline Monkey#13

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2019, 12:13:12 pm »
I had my second tumble of the trip right at the start of Bastervoetpad.. Still a bit flustered after the morning's tyre troubles, I approached the first loose steep section with too little speed.  The road was quite washed out with lots of loose rocks in the tracks. I decided that the middelmannetjie presented the most traction but when the mighty 250 eventually ran out of revs, it unfortunately coincided with the point at which I ran out of skill / common sense / both. My feet were left dangling in mid air and I took a tumble resembling a cyclist not getting his cleats out of the pedal at a red traffic light. :imaposer:

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2019, 12:17:21 pm »
After Naudesnek it was time for the Tenahead Tiffendel Traverse and to continue working on my selfie game. Immediately we came across Tenahead and stopped for "koek en tee'. Pieter only shaked his head at this though, hardcore bikers that we are, he was very concerned with the turn of events. Knowing I would be paying the most I have ever for not-fresh brownee I would propably also have passed, but I do believe if you want the local economy to survive you have to support them.

The dude receiving us said people take up to 3hrs to do the route, this we naturally wiped off as he must know some softy 4x4 guys then. Little did we know....

Turns out this was one of the tougher roads, not for any specific reason other than there being big rocks and little upkeep of the road. By now we were also tired after a long day in the saddle and the sun going down, reflecting on dirty visors so you couldn't see a thing. The TTT route also started off with a bang, we were used to good roads of Naudesnek, so gunned it, saw the good road dipping and the good road coming out on the other side of a little water stream so it had to be fine, turns out it wasn't and I had to brake hard and hang on through a water crossing with rocks. The 640 bought another smiley here as well so it wasn't only me.

It was still a very nice route, the views were exceptional as is the norm on Ben 10 and we still enjoyed it. For the first time I struggled to keep up with the others on my fat bike, but they didn't have to wait to long when stopping.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 12:20:11 pm by m0lt3n »

Offline Monkey#13

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2019, 12:50:09 pm »
@OomD - I struggled on two sections of the entire trip. The first being the approach to Bastervoetpad from the top of Barkley Pass. The road is very "skurf" with fist sized rocks embedded in the road surface. It is on this section where I got the snake-bite.

The other section was the approach to Naudesnek via the Potrivier Pass. There are some off-camber corners on this section with loose gravel and stones ranging in size from grapes to grapefruit.  Maybe it wasn't so bad but I was running high tyre pressures - not wantingr another tyre incident. I was also getting a bit tired at this stage and I don't think my concentration was what it should have been.

I won't comment on the passes - all are rideable but all should be approached with caution. Even the easy ones might surprise you if not alert.

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2019, 12:50:48 pm »
 :sip: this was a good time waster at the office... one of the best! :thumleft:

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2019, 01:55:19 pm »
:sip: this was a good time waster at the office... one of the best! :thumleft:

The problem with writing a RR at work is that you cant share it with anyone at work...

After TTT we gunned it to Rhodes where we were booked in some self catering guesthouse a.k.a. big empty house. You really get the feeling that Rhodes is suffering, lots of houses for sale. It was getting late and we were tired and hungry. After unpcacking we struggled a bit to find Walkerbouts for a pizza, very worried that it wont be open on a Sunday late afternoon but we should not have worried. I also did not have to cry over the chicken burger that somehow disintegrated the box and turned into a much in my topbag anymore.

Walkerbouts was exactly as always, with some random other bike group and we had a great chat. Turns out it was the group we saw on Jouberts pass, lead by an ex country trax guy on an LC, and for some strange reason they did TTT twice that day, doing the whole Ben 10 in two days. Respect.
We like to call ourselves adventure riders but I have found there is a small group of riders that did this thing before the 500 was cool, before tubeless was spelled tubliss even before the 990 was cool, these guys also always seem to know each other and with the slightest provocation will have the funniest and best adventure stories. I enjoyed a lekker whiskey while chatting with one of these true veterans.

Back at the house we found the geyser was never on and it was pretty cold. I should have had more whiskey. Waiting for the water to just not be cold, it was also a great time to catch up with my new riding buddies, it sounded like they were really also enjoying the trip so I was well pleased. The next day would be the last, and while we were tired, it was awesome and a pity it could not go on for longer.

Ben Macdhui was due the next day, a pass that has eluded me for a while so I was really looking forward to doing it
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 01:57:31 pm by m0lt3n »

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2019, 08:10:01 pm »
The previous night we didn't get much chance to take pictures of Volunteershoek pass. It's another beaut and extra nice in the morning air. Seeing as we got an extra early start with no breakfast there was time. It's a very nice ride as well with the well maintained road and good visibility through the corners.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 08:16:23 pm by m0lt3n »

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2019, 08:37:32 pm »
Arriving at Tiffindell we went straight up Ben Macdhui. Or at least I tried to. I was having a good trip, not one fall, not even much of a close call so far but had to underestimate this pass. The first switchback had very loose ground, propably where every one has a hard time before either going for it or quiting. I came to a halt and struggled to get going again. Spun out a few times until I tipped. Breathing hard I dropped my backpack and took a second before attempting a go again.

Then it was fine, some steep step ups, some rough moments but not black route level stuff. It was a lot of fun, pitty we didn't take a lot of pics, I am adding some Pieter took. At the top we took a moment to take in the moment and ate a breakfast bar while taking in the scenery.

Going down Theo had a little stage fright when I took a video but nothing major and after a quick coffee at the coffee shop we were off again
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 08:54:08 pm by m0lt3n »

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2019, 09:19:39 pm »
I mentioned this earlier, but have to say it again.,wartrail pass should be called jumping pass. It was massive fun! Last time I did it was from the other side! Bottom to top and it was reasonably tough, I remembered it as Neverending steepness.... This time we were going down so I was a little bummed at that at first, but soon realise there was advantages. They have been working in the pass, threw most of the erosion prevention tyres out and buldozed the road and added a lot of berms to prevent flood damage (I am guessing). These berms were perfect for jumping.

There was so many of them you could practice and work your way up to jumping harder and further. I have progressive springs front and back! But by the end I was bottoming both out softly. After the trip, loading the bike on the trailer I could see the rear tyre touched the panels.

At the bottom of the pass we had a break, but no kit kats. All of us thought about going back up at least for a second. All of us were bottoming out, 2 of us intentionally... Sounded like the 250 would like some stiffer springs as well.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 09:25:38 pm by m0lt3n »

Offline windswept

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2019, 09:45:24 pm »
Nice one, keep it coming. :sip:

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2019, 07:06:50 am »
Lundeans nek is the last pass of the Ben 10 challenge, but we did have a little add on, little on that later.

The road to Lundeans and the pass itself was very good, well maintained and a lot better than what it was 2 years ago last I rode it. I really had a blissful experience here, standing up, riding fast but not racing with music blaring in the ears, it was awesome with the sweeping corners and good grip riding next to the river and I found myself hoping it could just go on and on. I really enjoyed this as well, maybe because I had the more road focussed bike. But normally at day 3 of a trip I am agitated as I had something to fix, this time the bike was behaving very well, no issues, as long as I didn't look at my dashboard...

I now believe electrical issues makes the 1190 better! hehe
I also realised on Lundeans road time is running out, and put in renewed effort to get some tax out of my rear. It was also a decent road, not overly technical, good condition but not a gravel highway. Again, of course, with awesome views. I took a pic of my rear tyre here, still need to go check and take another pic at home, before throwing it away.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 07:09:40 am by m0lt3n »