Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Ben 10 meets MacGyver  (Read 1355 times)

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
Re: Ben 10 meets MacGyver
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2019, 07:37:30 am »
Nice ride m0lt3n, enjoyed the virtual ride along with you, that really is a special are for riding bikes.   :thumleft:

Glad to hear they have fixed up the road leading to Lundeans Nek, when I did it in January this year it was terrible.

How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2019, 09:49:20 am »
We had some time left after finishing all, so on suggestion from @171steve we did Dangers hoek after finishing Lundeans. We actually though we missed it but then saw the sign. It was a nice typical scenic Lesotho type route, well maintained with some small villages. There is a small waterfall we were to lazy to photograph but just enjoyed the ride.

After this we set off to Zastron where I ran out of fuel 3km from town. I didn't exactly ride soft on the throttle, blasting ahead to take pics and then gunning it again to catch up. My fuel Guage was also not working along with all of the other errors on the dash.

From Zastron we took a gravel road to Rouxville which was also great. Very well maintained and I was doing speeds on the wrong side of 140 most of the time. There was some lion farm on the road also, not every day you get to see a lion from the back of your bike. Neither an Emu which I almost ran over. It must have escaped from somewhere and was in the road in the middle of nowhere.

Rouxville we had a shower while giving Theo time to catch up with old friends before setting off at 6pm. Not a lot of coffee opportunities on the road but we did manage to rustle some in Kimberley.

I got home at 2:30am,had to get up again at 6 to help prep children for creche, only now starting to feel like I caught up on sleep.

All in all a great trip, I would gladly do it again, maybe just time it with some rain to make it a new experience.

That's my RR. I like to give some opinions at the end of an RR... Coming soon
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 10:05:41 am by m0lt3n »
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2019, 10:21:36 am »
opinions:

1190 electrical issues makes it a better bike
250 is good enough for this trip, or Theo is just a machine. I think there will be a big fun factor missing, but if you have a 250 its not an excuse not to do a proper trip
640 surprised me, I rode it a little and the suspension just felt bottomless. a great all rounder.

I got a KLIM jacket and pants just before the trip and I just cant decide if I want to keep or sell them again. You can feel its a premium kit, but I compare it to my BMW rally suit which is also premium and its tough to choose. The black is definitely not a good choice, but the setup of the pockets I also didn't particularly like. So I am very confused on this.

This was the first time I trailered to a trip, and it worked lekker. I always believe a dual purpose must drive to the trip and back as well, but there is no denying how much nicer the logistics work out if you trailer. From chatting amongst ourselves to just not really being worried if it is getting dark, or being tired when you get to your destination. Either way, no offence, if there was no trailer I would definitely prefer not to share the tar road with these two companions and rather get them at the destination.

This is also the first time I did a trip with hard-ish tyres. Always deflating to 1.8 for gravel this time I kept to 2.2bar and it was perfectly fine. I think if I just keep it like that and never feel the 1.8 again I will be fine, not knowing what I am missing anymore. I am just super tired of punctures so this is just a sacrifice to make.

And then, you will remember I took the MotoZ of for this trip as it was leaking. I will now fit it with the tube and confirm this opinion...but I seriously think this half worn E07 gave me better grip on gravel and loose gravel than that MotoZ does. I am not impressed, so lets hope it will change my mind when I do the swop.

On the punctures, it was definitely a highlight to me that we did not have to remove the front wheel to fix the puncture on the 250. Will this work with the 1190 and excel rims as well? Normally the tough part is to break the bead, and then also that my patches don't last very well. Very intrigued by this. The new front rim is tubed and I will now fit a tubed tyre as well so bead should break easy. Will be interesting.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2019, 11:47:19 am »
Lekker RR - thank you for making the time to write it all up...

I am too old to worry if people have issues with me trailering to the start of the ride - I just don't care.....  :imaposer:  We quite often trailer to a point and ride a few days from there, and unless the point is the ride (like a 2-week Namibia tour) then I am happy to load a few extra cold beers in the fridge in the 4x4 and be relaxed when I get there...

Cheers!

www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Online Monkey#13

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2019, 02:12:40 pm »
Either way, no offence, if there was no trailer I would definitely prefer not to share the tar road with these two companions and rather get them at the destination. - None taken. I would also not subject myself to a 600 odd km tar journey on the 250. It's in fact the trailer part that made the trip possible for me.

I think the 250 will flatter anyone's abilities - I was very happy not to be on a big bike. However, there are long stretches of excellent gravel roads and quite a bit of tar as well. For those sections I would have preferred a LITTLE bit more oomph.

I would definitely do this trip again. Not necessarily all the passes but the area has stunning scenery and the riding is fabulous! Coming from the Kalahari, I often found myself just staring at the landscape, going slower and slower and just enjoying being in the moment.

Thanks for making this trip possible Martin!
KLR for work,
CRF for play!

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2019, 04:36:20 pm »
My pleasure!
If you guys didn't join I would have stayed home as well. It was a great weekend

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2019, 05:23:38 pm »
Thank you for taking the time out and making the effort to take us with!
I have done some of Lesotho and a trip around Lesotho, but still want to do those passes.
There is a time to ride the whole trip and a time to trailer, it does not matter as long as you enjoy yourself and have a safe trip!
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Sheepman

« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2019, 05:32:11 pm »
Great RR, thanks. Interesting mix of bikes in age, capacity and make.Clearly, from your trip experience, such a diverse group of bikes makes for a good recipe for fun, as is expected  :thumleft:

Offline Pietsjiet

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Ry net teerpad tot by volgende grondpad.
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2019, 08:17:15 am »
This was a new experience for me, as I am normally a solo rider. And when my other mates join in, I am normally the leader, taking up the navigation responsibilities.
The fact that we trailered closer to the area, suited me well. 640's does not like tar road. Also the knobbly tyres I'm using would not last the trip.
At one stadge on the trìp, Martin and I swopped bikes for a while...and boy old boy, what a power difference..what a big mistake.
I am putting my 640 up for sale now.
I am an old school carburettor junkey. Holding on to these older bikes, in the process keeping myself out of the new bike market.

Thanks for the trip Martin. It was an epic experience!
Ek raak aan die slaap op die saal as ek teerpad ry.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2019, 12:08:34 pm »
thanks for all the good feedback on the RR and on the trip. appreciate it

Online Noneking

« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2019, 12:15:26 pm »
Nice RR
One of those trips I wouldn’t mind doing again
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline mtr89

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • one grateful dude
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2019, 03:06:39 pm »
Lekker RR
Looks like you okes had a blast
KX125-sold;DT 175-sold;XT660R-sold;VFR 800-sold;SR250-soldt;2006 YZ 250 2t sold;2009 YZ 250 2t sold; 2013 XT 660Z Tenere-current