Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bike repair shops- theft / fraud / bad work  (Read 918 times)

Offline Meteor

Bike repair shops- theft / fraud / bad work
« on: September 10, 2019, 07:36:59 pm »
I am feeling depressed again today. It seems like there is some snake in the grass that just doesn't want me to be a happy bike owner.

I have only had one bike in my life, my father recently got his favourite bike after about 30 years of placing family before himself. Both are lekker but it just isn't possible to love them like we'd like to because people keep on getting in the way. Every time a bike needs a service or repair in our family we get done in. It ranges from theft, fraud to just plain bad work and there is nothing that we can do about the shops. The best I can do it switch shops but that is probably why I have 4 stories about 4 shops. They where all recommended, they all did me in and they all got away with it. Now it just feels like seeing the wreck of the car you had a terrible accident in every morning.
Some charged me for parts they ordered wrong, one charged me for ten's of hours for a clutch swap, another stole parts of my bike and the list goes on. The only pain free help I've ever received is from the visit I had with Foxy. 

SO, how do you ous deal with kind of stuff? IOW vertel my asb hoe kak julle lewens is dat ek beter kan voel. ATM it just feels like there is no pleasure in owning a bike unless you have no care for money or no pride in your bike.

I am not planning on naming any shops in this post so please try to do the same, naming and shaming is not the point of this post. All of these places were recommended and all of them will be recommended again, regardless of naming&shaming. I am merely asking how YOU dealt with it, especially knowing that the shops will never change. 

Online 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
Re: Bike repair shops- theft / fraud / bad work
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 07:44:06 pm »
How can a shop that actually STOLE parts off your bike not get named and shamed??

How can such a shop ever be recommended again?

No wonder service is so kak.

Offline katana

• One day when I grow up, I want to be a
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 07:44:52 pm »
Learn to work on your bike.  It is easy and everything you break, is repairable and school fees.  There are only 2 mechanics I trust, but I still prefer doing it myself.  We all have our stories.  But then again, I could tell you stories about insurance, medical aid, car dealers.........
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

The following users thanked this post: RobC, Ortos

Offline Hardy de Kock

• Vendors
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 07:47:44 pm »
I am feeling depressed again today. It seems like there is some snake in the grass that just doesn't want me to be a happy bike owner.

I have only had one bike in my life, my father recently got his favourite bike after about 30 years of placing family before himself. Both are lekker but it just isn't possible to love them like we'd like to because people keep on getting in the way. Every time a bike needs a service or repair in our family we get done in. It ranges from theft, fraud to just plain bad work and there is nothing that we can do about the shops. The best I can do it switch shops but that is probably why I have 4 stories about 4 shops. They where all recommended, they all did me in and they all got away with it. Now it just feels like seeing the wreck of the car you had a terrible accident in every morning.
Some charged me for parts they ordered wrong, one charged me for ten's of hours for a clutch swap, another stole parts of my bike and the list goes on. The only pain free help I've ever received is from the visit I had with Foxy. 

SO, how do you ous deal with kind of stuff? IOW vertel my asb hoe kak julle lewens is dat ek beter kan voel. ATM it just feels like there is no pleasure in owning a bike unless you have no care for money or no pride in your bike.

I am not planning on naming any shops in this post so please try to do the same, naming and shaming is not the point of this post. All of these places were recommended and all of them will be recommended again, regardless of naming&shaming. I am merely asking how YOU dealt with it, especially knowing that the shops will never change.

Ja boet - you will have to name them if you want help on this.

Offline allan.cawood

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 08:26:55 pm »
I can do most things myself and for the stuff I cannot ... I have one mechanic I go to ... your experiences is exactly why I learnt to do things myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 BMW R1150GS Adventure (Bumblebee)
2004 Yamaha XT660X (Barker)
1993 Honda CB1000 Super Four (Thunder)

"You can take my heart, you can take my breath  When you pry it from my cold, dead chest"  Skillet - The Resistance (Unleashed 2016)

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 09:01:01 pm »
Unfortunately the best solution by far in most cases is, as stated, to learn to work on your own bike. With help from people on this forum. That is what it will come to. What is the difference between a landmine and a mechanic?

A landmine fucks your car up only once.
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Online 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 09:17:30 pm »
Unfortunately the best solution by far in most cases is, as stated, to learn to work on your own bike. With help from people on this forum. That is what it will come to. What is the difference between a landmine and a mechanic?

A landmine fucks your car up only once.

Don't stereotype. :pot: :ricky:

Offline katana

• Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 09:20:19 pm »

A landmine fucks your car up only once.  While a certain mechanic from Stellenbosch, fucks up your BMW thread 99% of the time   :pot:

"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

The following users thanked this post: TheBear

Offline katana

• Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 09:21:22 pm »

A landmine fucks your car up only once.   While a certain mechanic from Stellenbosch, fucks up your BMW thread 99% of the time   :pot:

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 09:23:06 pm »
I am not stereotyping the people on this forum. I am stereotype.

(I haven't been in Skelmbosch for around 20 years)
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline Juan27

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 09:24:21 pm »
The problem with not naming and shaming is that this thread sheds a bad light on all bike shops.
There are a lot of good and honest shops out there, run by families trying to make a living, that will be affected through something like this.

The following users thanked this post: RobC, eberhard

Online 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 09:27:33 pm »

A landmine fucks your car up only once.  While a certain mechanic from Stellenbosch, fucks up your BMW thread 99% of the time   :pot:

Now that I have a lot of free time, I'll be watching these BMW fanboys.

I will however give them some mourning time over the loss to HD of Charles and Eweone. :thumleft:

Offline katana

• Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 09:37:04 pm »

Now that I have a lot of free time, I'll be watching these BMW fanboys.

I will however give them some mourning time over the loss to HD of Charles and Eweone. :thumleft:
Use your other secret power and host a newbie tech day.  I know of two candidates already.   :laughing4:   :ricky:

Offline Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 09:49:18 pm »

IOW vertel my asb hoe kak julle lewens is dat ek beter kan voel.

Wil jy rerig weet? Ok.....

So I decided to built a custom bakkie.
Paid R25000 for a complete bakkie but with busted engine. Never received the papers from owner. Been up and down story since day one. TODAY I will sort it out, became almost 12 months now. I heard that TODAY story about 100 times.

Builder charges me R300 000 for the conversion. So I tell him to start. He flies away stripping and going on like crazy, then calls me up to say I must come look. Go there, like what I see, get asked for a R80 000 payment to go source parts. I do payment. Well that is almost 12 months later, so far nothing happened, and the parts he keeps on showing me that he bought with the money looks like its not mine and wont fit in my bakkie anyway so agh what the F ever...
So R105 000 into this build and I have nothing.

And to top it off, I took my bakkie in to Agents for a service this morning. Mecanic never tightens the sump plug properly, 30km away from Dealership the engine seizes solid. No sump plug in sight, not a drop of oil in engine.

Have a breakdown next to the road on a truck in Bloemfontein. Mecanic goes out, tells me what parts he will need, with labour etc. R13 000. Asks for the money to go buy parts. Takes the money and never returns back to truck.

Voel jy nou beter  :imaposer:   :imaposer:   :imaposer:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 09:56:37 pm by Manic »
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 09:50:31 pm »
You're in WC, send your bikes to Dux and sleep easy.

Offline Worsbeer

• Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2019, 11:11:37 pm »

IOW vertel my asb hoe kak julle lewens is dat ek beter kan voel.

Wil jy rerig weet? Ok.....

So I decided to built a custom bakkie.
Paid R25000 for a complete bakkie but with busted engine. Never received the papers from owner. Been up and down story since day one. TODAY I will sort it out, became almost 12 months now. I heard that TODAY story about 100 times.

Builder charges me R300 000 for the conversion. So I tell him to start. He flies away stripping and going on like crazy, then calls me up to say I must come look. Go there, like what I see, get asked for a R80 000 payment to go source parts. I do payment. Well that is almost 12 months later, so far nothing happened, and the parts he keeps on showing me that he bought with the money looks like its not mine and wont fit in my bakkie anyway so agh what the F ever...
So R105 000 into this build and I have nothing.

And to top it off, I took my bakkie in to Agents for a service this morning. Mecanic never tightens the sump plug properly, 30km away from Dealership the engine seizes solid. No sump plug in sight, not a drop of oil in engine.

Have a breakdown next to the road on a truck in Bloemfontein. Mecanic goes out, tells me what parts he will need, with labour etc. R13 000. Asks for the money to go buy parts. Takes the money and never returns back to truck.

Voel jy nou beter  :imaposer:   :imaposer:   :imaposer:

Ek voel beter. Dankie Manic.
Jy is harder gen@! as ek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KTM 1290 SAR, 950S adventure
Honda AfricaTwin RD04, CRF450, XR500, Kinetic DX
BMW K1200LT
Yamaha WR450

Offline Buff

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2019, 06:54:38 am »
Sorry to hear of your grief, never a lekka experience. Just for interest sake, what bike are you trying to get spares for that's such an issue?
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Ganjora

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2019, 07:19:22 am »
unreal.
is the bike a suzuki or bmw?
both those brands are kak.

Offline Rufus115

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2019, 07:45:49 am »
Ok, I am going to say the dick thing here (Sorry Dan, I am elbowing you out the way)..Meteor, you have been to four shops and all four shops are kaků.in some way, your judgement needs serious work. Either your judgement of the references you get, or your judgement of the people you are handing your bike to. By the time you had been screwed over twice, you should have the suss to figure this out.
I'm sorry to hear you feel you got nobbed over in this process, but since you asked how do folks do this type of selection - you need to hear that they apply some common sense and don't repeat the same moves hoping for a different outcome.
An to increase the level of dickness from my side...you say they have done these things, a reasonable man has to ask "Is this guy repeating facts or opinions or worse?"

Sorry bud, but you asked.
"To live, you gotta lose some sleep"

Offline stcomza

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Bazinga!
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2019, 07:54:36 am »

Jirre, EINA!

Touch sprockets, I've only had good to great service...
Where in the republic of wc are you?
Have you hugged your motorcycle today?
Twitter : @steynw76