Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Pussy Fever in Pretoria - a short Ride-along Report  (Read 921 times)

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
Pussy Fever in Pretoria - a short Ride-along Report
« on: September 11, 2019, 10:30:28 am »
Prologue:

Wanna stroke some pussy. Where...? (http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=240413.0)

After a semi-insomniac night, I wake up early on Saturday morning and just make it to breakfast, served between unappetising hours of 6 - 8 am. Afterwards I wonder whether to crawl back into bed or try to do something productive with my day. I recall my recent pussy-fever and decide to head over to @Runner 's workshop, Offroad Cycles, in the back of beyond of Pretoria from swishy Sandton where I'm staying.

I arrive at about 10am, and when I spot @Hondsekierie leaning into the big bakkie next to me, I know I'm at the right place, despite the dilapidated and dodgy surrounds. I walk into what seems to be the back of the shop, and look around to see many KTMs all around the clean inner yard. I pass two guys chatting, and when one queries what I'm looking for, I ask whether I'm at the right entrance. One guy, who later turns out to be @Runner, points me towards the shop door and continues his discussion with his client.

I walk into the shop and immediately recognise @Minxy talking to someone, but since I have no expectation that she'll know who I am, I give her a careful friendly look and walk up to the counter, where the amiable and very helpful Sirk offers his assistance. A bit at a loss, I ask for earplugs which I need for my upcoming trip, as my current Alpines are shedding wings like fallen angels. I also ask about their range of Bluetooth comms sets, as I like to listen to music while I ride, but my Spirit has long given up the ghost.

Sirk quickly helps me to replacement earplugs and then shows me their very good looking range of Sena's, but my budget won't bite. Then he shows me a newcomer, a comms set that doesn't have the big outside control pod because the Bluetooth is built into the earpieces. No need to stick anything onto my Desert Fox, which I plan to replace at some point, and it is a good 50% less pricey than the Sena's. Budget gives a careful nod and my purchases are made quickly.

Now what? I did, after all, come here for pussies.

I ask Sirk whether they currently have any cats at the shop, but they just recently handed over 2 ferals to Onderstepoort for sterilisation, and were planning to fetch them only on Tuesday, after which they'd be released again. They do have a rehabilitated feral who lives in the shop, but a quick look around doesn't deliver the feral and Sirk calls Conrad.

Conrad starts looking all over, but can't see the shop cat anywhere. He takes me to shade-netted shelves in the courtyard where two sterilised young ferals with clipped ears sit side-by-side, staring us down disdainfully. They've made their home at the back of the shelf and Conrad feeds them there. They are too old to tame, but accept human proximity for food and shelter.

He shows me the wire traps he got from Cape Town, because the ones he found in Gauteng allowed the ferals to rip the the handlers apart when releasing them. He shows me the top-to-bottom wire-clad door he installed in the Feral Kittie Rehab Area a.k.a the bathroom, because the kittens defeat any lesser security measures. He shows me a video of the most beautiful little kitten, white with pitch black tail and ears, crawling up the wired door like a feisty little demon. A client who was in the workshop at the time insisted on adopting the kitten right then and there. I'm not surprised.

He spots the white shop cat, Slick, reclining in splendour on the couch in the office. I sit down and start stroking Slick, a little heartsore, having lost my two feral rehab kittens about ten years ago due to the ex. I haven't had the heart to adopt new kittens yet. Soon, maybe.

Conrad leaves to attend to customers and I look around the clean and well-organised offices and the neat and clean work areas for the mechanics. The place looks immaculate, clean and well-lit, in contrast to the dingy surrounds and the faded and peeling name sign out front. There is even a neat waiting area with a coffee machine...!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 10:39:25 am by Ri »
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

The following users thanked this post: Runner, RobC

Offline ktmmer

Re: Pussy Fever in Pretoria - a short Ride-along Report
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 11:16:42 am »
Did you get discount?

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 11:22:31 am »
Fun read, Ri!  :biggrin:

Offline Daffyd

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 11:41:13 am »
what comms unit is it?

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 11:49:59 am »
 :thumleft: where are the pics?!!

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 11:52:53 am »
Did you get discount?

Yes...! They didn't charge me for the coffee :sip:

what comms unit is it?

The invoice says it's a Twiins Bluetooth 2.0 for Helmet. Cost of R980. Smallest unit I've ever seen, although the speakers look a bit thicker than normal. Hope it fits into the helmet, or it's me and a hot knife >:D
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 12:05:28 pm »
Slick shop cat :biggrin:

I chat with Sirk for a moment, getting ready to leave, when Conrad and Minxy walk into the shop and Minxy asks me, "You are Ri, aren't you? You’re smaller than I thought.” I laugh and confirm this, and we start chatting. Eventually Hondsekierie, waiting patiently outside the door, suggests that if I don't have plans, Minxy and I should meet for coffee later, and we agree. They leave to run another errand, and I wander about the workshop and chat to clients in the shop.

Later Minxy calls and suggests I come to their house to see two of Conrad's now-tamed kittens that she had adopted, and from there we can go for lunch. I happily agree, and with a little time to kill, ask Sirk whether they have any helmets for me to try on. I have been reading up on helmets, specifically Arai and Shoei, and have decided to buy a Shoei when the budget is less uptight. While I have a bit of time to kill, it was probably a good idea to see if it would be a good fit.

We walk to the back of the shop and I look at the array of beautiful helmets in dismay. They are all Mediums. Sirk finds an XS Shoei Hornet, but at sizes 53 - 54 it is probably too small for me. Then I notice the price… :eek:

In trepidation  I try it on and it fits like a … well, a helmet should. It sits snugly but not uncomfortably, pushing my cheeks into a slight pout, not moving when I shake my head vigorously. My eyes start to shine. Sirk finds a S Shoei Hornet that I try on for comparison, but it is a tad too wide and wiggles when I shake my head. I pull the XS onto my head again and it is snug and comfortable. My face splits into a huge grin. What are the odds!! And at that price, how can I pass the opportunity!

Sirk laughs at my obvious delight and goes to check whether he still has its box. Conrad joins me and points out that it is the previous model Shoei Hornet, and when I ask him what is the difference with the current Hornet, he gestures at the visor’s fastening mechanism and explains the changes in Klingon. I pull up my shoulders, it makes no difference to me. I’ve never owned a Hornet, current or previous model, and I’m very excited to take one home at for me a budget-busting but almost-affordable price.

I joke with Sirk that they should pay me to take the helmet off their hands, since no one else is going to buy it, but I am very happy. I was expecting to pay much closer to R10k for a new helmet. Sirk finds a box and we make arrangements for it to be sent to Cape Town. He kindly also makes me a great cup of coffee, and I while away the last few minutes chatting to Sirk, Conrad and another customer.

I am so grateful I made the effort to come - I met all these lovely people, and I found my future helmet waiting for me :biggrin:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 12:13:57 pm by Ri »

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Niks ry so lekker soos my rice crispy bike nie.
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 12:08:08 pm »
"Pussy Fever in Pretoria"  :eek7:

I demand this toxic headline be changed immediately! We have no place for that type of talk on this forum!!!1!

Oh... Ri posted it...

OK, nevermind. Carry on.

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 12:41:37 pm »

I demand this toxic headline be changed immediately! We have no place for that type of talk on this forum!!!1!

Oh... Ri posted it...

OK, nevermind. Carry on.

:imaposer:   :imaposer:   :imaposer:
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Minxy

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 01:23:58 pm »
Yay! Looking forward to reading this ride report :D :D :D  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: Was so good to meet you  ;D ;D ;D
*              ★.`.★   "I'm in love with a strict machine"  ★.`.★               *
www.facebook.com/barbara.muszynski/ Hit follow!
Current: KTM 950SE, Husqvarna 701, KTM 500, Honda LS 125 Previous: Honda Africa Twin CRF 1000 DCT, KTM 950 SE, KTM 950 Adv, Aprilia 650 Pegaso Trail, BMW G450X, Husqvarna 350FE, KTM 690RFR
Ride Reports:
Xmas Xtreme - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=233018.0 Old Mill Drift -  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=234804.0

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 01:33:02 pm »
Yay! Looking forward to reading this ride report :D :D :D  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: Was so good to meet you  ;D ;D ;D

Ditto! Highlight of my weekend and my trip :lol8: ;D

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 02:10:34 pm »
Driving to Minxy and HSK's possie is a trip down memory lane: the roads of my youth and early working career. I feel a touch of nostalgia - everything is the same but different, familiar yet somehow alien. More buildings, more dust, more potholes. I cross familiar roads like Duxbury and Garsfontein Drive.

There is the Little Company of Mary hospital where my mom assisted in many an operation. There is the park we used to picnic at while I or one of my siblings engaged in cultural activities at the nearby Pro Arte school: ballet lessons, violin lessons, piano lessons. We were more interested in the tadpoles in the pond, frankly, but I can't deny all that ivory hammering and string pulling made me a more rounded person.

Then Minxy opens the gate for me and I go in to meet her kitties.

On the crazy cat lady scale, Minxy is about a level 3

I don't own any cats right now, because I don't have anyone to take care of them when I go on bike trips, but I'm pretty sure this is my future:

NOTE: Last meme also applies to DR650's, in my case :ricky:

I can't remember all the names, but these cats are all Afrikaners :imaposer:

Spot the cat...

KTM Kittie - beautiful and temperamental, like any proper beauty

Minxy with minx

The Squad. There are 4 cats in this picture ... can you find them all?  ;D

The cats are all very chilled and get along surprisingly well, considering their large number. Except of course for the crazy KTM marmalade.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 02:12:59 pm by Ri »

Offline Minxy

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 06:28:07 pm »
Such lovely photos :D :D :D
*              ★.`.★   "I'm in love with a strict machine"  ★.`.★               *
www.facebook.com/barbara.muszynski/ Hit follow!
Current: KTM 950SE, Husqvarna 701, KTM 500, Honda LS 125 Previous: Honda Africa Twin CRF 1000 DCT, KTM 950 SE, KTM 950 Adv, Aprilia 650 Pegaso Trail, BMW G450X, Husqvarna 350FE, KTM 690RFR
Ride Reports:
Xmas Xtreme - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=233018.0 Old Mill Drift -  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=234804.0

Online 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 07:38:01 pm »

Oh... Ri posted it...

OK, nevermind. Carry on.

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Is daar nou proeskoors in Pretoors? :eek7:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 07:57:25 pm by 2StrokeDan »

Offline Geel Kat

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2019, 07:45:17 pm »
Such lovely photos :D :D :D

Last time I saw you was in the middle of the middle of nowhere... hope you are well.

Cool ride report Ri  :thumleft:

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2019, 08:09:45 pm »
Photogenic kitties...

Dinner time:

Trying to get all the cats into one frame is impossible.

It is determined shortly after my arrival that neither Minxy nor I am particularly hungry, and we admire the bikes and the kitties while drinking coffee and chattering away like magpies. Minxy invites me to sit on her 501, which sags enough for me to get toes on the ground. Hmmm... maybe I should glance through the Encyclopaedia Brittanica "Economically adventurizing a [sic] EXC 500" thread after all. Minxy still has beer left over from her father's recent visit, and offers it to me. Now, a programmer isn't a programmer if (s)he refuses beer so of course I have one... or so.

By now HSK realises that the chatter isn't slowing down, and asks me what I'm doing that evening and the next day. I planned to have a beer with a friend sometime over the weekend, but at that moment he lets me know he is at a pirate festival. It sounds much more fun than beer with me could ever be. HSK suggests that I sleep over, and this suggestion is met with approval. He also suggests it is time for dinner, as he is very hungry, so we head out to Crawdaddy's. Since my little rental car is blocking the garage, we decide to use it.

Dinner is a lovely affair of small shared starters and well-prepared mains. HSK twists my rubber arm again to have more beers (by now I'm over my usual beer quota by about 3) and when we leave I remark on the irony of the only drinker in the group being the driver. HSK assures me that they trust me :imaposer:

During dinner Minxy reminds HSK that he still wants to do a test ride on his KTM 990 after a recent service, and that I can pillion with him and she'll join us on her KTM 950, if I was agreeable to it. Agreeable? I am thrilled :biggrin:

Back home Minxy sorts through her riding gear and presents me with two options for pants, a jacket, a helmet, gloves and even a pair of boots that fit. Amazingly, her shoes are only a size bigger than mine, despite her being a full head taller than I am. I try on the pants and choose the less loose one. The jacket is a tight fit, but then no surprise there when you look at Minxy's trim waist. We fall to chatting again, as we do at every remark, and finally call it quits at 23:30 as we decided to get up at 8 am the next morning. We call good night to each other, and then it's lights out.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 08:15:37 pm by Ri »

Offline Leo

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2019, 06:51:41 am »
Ive never owned a Hornet, current or previous model

Trust me Ri, you'll be hooked for life. Most comfortable helmet ever.  :deal:  :thumleft:

Jirre @HSK, the things man do for love. I'm not going to ask how you survive between all those pussys   :peepwall:

Great RR Ri, Yes Offroad Cycles has a way of making one feel welcome.   :ricky:

I am surprised to hear Minxy is taller than you. I was under the same impression as she was - that you're quite a tall lady  ;)
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2019, 07:29:55 am »
Ive never owned a Hornet, current or previous model

Trust me Ri, you'll be hooked for life. Most comfortable helmet ever.  :deal:  :thumleft:

Jirre @HSK, the things man do for love. I'm not going to ask how you survive between all those pussys   :peepwall:

Great RR Ri, Yes Offroad Cycles has a way of making one feel welcome.   :ricky:

I am surprised to hear Minxy is taller than you. I was under the same impression as she was - that you're quite a tall lady  ;)

:laughing4: I don't know where people get this idea: rides bike, must be tall? I've written often enough of my (lack of) height - I'm a KGB (kortgat biker), had to lower my DR650 (already lowest of the low) another 2 - 3 cm to comfortably get a leg over ... and down. I'm fortunate to be of stout Boere-stock though; if I couldn't pick up my bike by myself, I would have found something smaller/lighter.

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2019, 08:02:37 am »
Despite only getting to sleep at about 00:00, I wake up at the uncomfortable hour of 03:00 and lie listening to the creaking of the house, wondering whether I should worry.

Unexpectedly something bangs into my bedroom window on the ground floor, and light steps patter away fast. I turn around in bed just in time to see the security light over the patio go off. I lie with a pounding heart, wondering whether I should wake up my hosts, imagination in overdrive, picturing their KTMs being dragged off silently into the night, like the old horror movies. The roof creaks again and that's it! I pick up my phone, hoping Minxy's phone isn't on silent.

Minxy's voice answers sleepily, to my great relief, and I quickly explain the situation. Poor HSK is dispatched to recce and I relax and turn around to try to sleep again. Then Minxy calls to check a few things, mentioning security footage. Unthinkingly I pop out of bed and walk into the lounge to assist. I don't know why I didn't expect HSK to be there - still recce'ing maybe? - and when he glances up from his laptop, I realise I'm wearing only a Thumper Bash T-shirt and sit down very quickly, trying to cover my embarrassment and my knees, fervently wishing I'd stayed in bed. ("So you walked into their lounge almost naked", says Dwerg when I visit him later, laughing his head off at my beetroot colour). HSK though (thankfully!!) doesn't comment or look at me again.

Minxy is sitting at the desk going through the camera footage, and there is a big fat nothing to corroborate my story. I feel very foolish, but they assure me rather safe than sorry. Then everyone heads back to bed to try catch a few more z's. We decide to leave a bit later than originally planned.

I manage to sleep some more, but I'm awake when I hear movement in the kitchen, and quickly get dressed and ready. HSK makes me a large cup of strong coffee, and soon we are all ready to head out.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 08:07:35 am by Ri »

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2019, 08:30:01 am »
A RR with cats! Epic! :thumleft: