Maraisburg yesterday on Beemers new G 450 X

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikedabike

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I apologise in advance for the lack of foto's but hopefully this thread wont be useless without them.  ;)

After neither of us being able to go to the Rhino Rally my good mate Shmorty suggested Maraisburg on Sunday morning on the tupperware bikes as way of making up for not getting to jawl with our maats. I said it sounded like a good plan and we arranged to meet at 8.00 am at the Caltex garage.

I took the newly run in G 450 X ,Shmorty was on his trusty KTM 250 and his 16year old son Brandon "No Fear" was on his GAS GAS 250.
I dont think I have ever seen so many bikes and quads at the garage as I saw yesterday morning.

As I rode around the car park I saw many guys look and then re-look as they realized and recognised what they were seeing in the flesh,many for the 1st time, BMW'S 'VANILLA THRILLA" offroad 450.

We took off and I quickly started to feel confident, the heavy rains from the night before had turned the usually slippery dusty trail into super sticky paths that offered great traction and gratefully no dust.

The front end is very very good and even without a damper does wonders for one's confidence over the gnarly rocky outcrops and when one catches the odd occasional lurker which in my case seems to be more than just occasional...(note to self...must test this machine at DeWild on proper rocks soon)

The rear suspension setting had the compression dialled up too much so I backed it off and the ride became a lot plusher.

It likes to climb and makes excellent traction, it rev's willingly and rewards the brave that are prepared to weight the outside footpeg and twist the throttle wide open...

We did our usual loop and we all took turns on the new machine....all agreed that it felt good out of the box and after one particular climb with a step and change of direction in it Shmorty did it first on his Katie and then on the Beemer and I am almost sure I heard him say that it felt easier on the Beemer...lofty praise indeed...

One eagle eyed fellow rider spotted the new baby and came over to chat....imagine his surprise when he asked for a short spin and I said with pleasure. He came back with a huge silly grin on his face....

Hurry up the weekend I wanna go play again  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin: