XR's are...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kortbroek

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R
...F*cking ridiculously awesome  :hello2: :hello2:

I've been having minor niggles with my carb and other little things on the bike, including a newly discovered fuel leak. Every time I went for a quick ride I kept having this feeling the bike isn't running quite 100% and adding to that I had a minor airleak on the one carb boot I had to fix earlier this year. Also been away from home a lot, new town, not been riding all that much this year and can you believe I'd sort of made a decision to sell the bike. Fortunately I've had a few weeks at home this month, did one lekker long ride where I picked up my carb float post issue so had to fix it. Which means I also decided it was time to delve into the dark world of (minor) carb tuning.

So I fixed the float post, set the float level 1mm higher and already had a huuuuuge improvement including no more hanging idle and even easier starting. Two O-rings from BMG and some tuning on the idling jet and accelerator pump later and all I can say is HOLY SHITBALLS! Now this thing pulls like never before and it wasn't really a slouch before either. I mean, I did a quick 30min ride through some bush close to home including a few straight twin tracks next to an old railroad. It was terrifying and awesome and everything in between. Literally a case of whack it wide open and hang on for dear life. It's like a whole new bike. Then to top it off, I stop next to a ktm 690 at a stopstreet on my way back, guy took off with a blast only to find us both arriving at the next stop at the same time  :imaposer: , my poor new rear tyre  :lol8: . It's been about 45min since I got off the bike and the adrenaline shakes are only starting to wear off now.  :ricky: