Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Hearts in the Desert  (Read 9418 times)

Offline Offshore

Re: Hearts in the Desert
« Reply #120 on: October 08, 2019, 08:11:06 pm »
Great RR, I admire your Appetite for Adventure and Zest for Life.  :ricky:

Offline Minxy

« Reply #121 on: October 09, 2019, 07:45:28 am »
Just want to thank everyone again for their lovely comments on this thread :)

HSK and myself are preparing our things again to go ride off the beaten track in Lesotho with @Losper and friends this weekend. Will be continuing asap when we return. Many more epic things to come :)
*              ★.`.★   "I'm in love with a strict machine"  ★.`.★               *
www.facebook.com/barbara.muszynski/ Hit follow!
Current: KTM 950SE, Husqvarna 701, KTM 500, Honda LS 125 Previous: Honda Africa Twin CRF 1000 DCT, KTM 950 SE, KTM 950 Adv, Aprilia 650 Pegaso Trail, BMW G450X, Husqvarna 350FE, KTM 690RFR
Ride Reports:
Xmas Xtreme - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=233018.0 Old Mill Drift -  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=234804.0

Offline MRK Miller

« Reply #122 on: October 15, 2019, 09:59:15 pm »
Awesome Brings back great memories. Visited their in 4x4 many moons ago. If only then i knew about adventure riding. Came into it very late so my ability to ride the sand and rocks lack extennsively, but we try. As for the negative comments. People despirate for attenttion. Unfortunately ,most of our sosiety have fallen into the trap of negativety gets you attention. You like the others like you, help people like myself and some others i suppose, who won't really ever get to ride these places,for verious reasons, live the dream in your reports and pictures, and in that way God uses you to let others live the adventure. Thank you for that, and God bless on all your adventures to come.
I still feel someone should take and combine these rr and make some movies. It would really inspire a lot of people to start living
Regards
I would rather fall a thousand times, and keep riding, than to stop riding and never fall

The following users thanked this post: Minxy

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2019, 05:35:07 am »
Per the norm, excellent RR HSK and Minxy.  I have a long ways to go to compete with yous RR's.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your adventures with us.

I have dreamt of riding Van Zyl's and or Kaokoland since I viewed an Australian couple venturing around the world on DR650's,
I can't recall their names.  Mick and Tan is ringing in my brain, but that doesn't sound correct.

"Take me down to the riverbed
Take me down to the fighting end
Wash the poison from off my skin
Show me how to be whole again" - Linkin Park

:headbang:   r.i.p. C.C.B.   :headbang:

The fold-able kettle was one of our best buys ever! Saves so much space. The fold-able cups I think you can get at major plastic shops for cheaper than outdoor warehouse. We didn't take pots/pans either. The food I made only required boiling water (oats for breakfast, couscous), tins you can heat up directly on the gas stove. I planned it all so we have pretty decent food with little effort and carrying minimum cooking utensils.

The only thing that we did kinda miss when camping was chairs haha! But most of the places we camped had a log or some surface where we could sit so all good :D

The smallest and lightest while robust enough to hold my arse is a chair by Helinox, not sure if you've access to their products.

Thanks again for another fabulous report.
Im da Yooper, eh and I like to party...

Offline Minxy

« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2019, 08:55:32 am »
Awesome Brings back great memories. Visited their in 4x4 many moons ago. If only then i knew about adventure riding. Came into it very late so my ability to ride the sand and rocks lack extennsively, but we try. As for the negative comments. People despirate for attenttion. Unfortunately ,most of our sosiety have fallen into the trap of negativety gets you attention. You like the others like you, help people like myself and some others i suppose, who won't really ever get to ride these places,for verious reasons, live the dream in your reports and pictures, and in that way God uses you to let others live the adventure. Thank you for that, and God bless on all your adventures to come.
I still feel someone should take and combine these rr and make some movies. It would really inspire a lot of people to start living
Regards

Thank  you, thank you! I am glad you agree. And about sharing the adventure. Yes it does take lots of time to sort out video's/photo's and write the story, but I feel it is worth all the time spent in the end. Especially when people enjoy "riding along" by reading and living themselves into the story, enjoy watching the videos or looking at the photos, or if people feel inspired, informed, motivated to go on their own adventure after going through the report. I myself have been inspired by many others on the forum so it is great to keep sharing :)

Per the norm, excellent RR HSK and Minxy.  I have a long ways to go to compete with yous RR's.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your adventures with us.

I have dreamt of riding Van Zyl's and or Kaokoland since I viewed an Australian couple venturing around the world on DR650's,
I can't recall their names.  Mick and Tan is ringing in my brain, but that doesn't sound correct.

The fold-able kettle was one of our best buys ever! Saves so much space. The fold-able cups I think you can get at major plastic shops for cheaper than outdoor warehouse. We didn't take pots/pans either. The food I made only required boiling water (oats for breakfast, couscous), tins you can heat up directly on the gas stove. I planned it all so we have pretty decent food with little effort and carrying minimum cooking utensils.

The only thing that we did kinda miss when camping was chairs haha! But most of the places we camped had a log or some surface where we could sit so all good :D

The smallest and lightest while robust enough to hold my arse is a chair by Helinox, not sure if you've access to their products.

Thanks again for another fabulous report.

I am curious about this other couple now. Would be great if you could find their report. I remember something very very vaguely, I think there was a blog post somewhere... Now I need to find it and read properly! I know Metaljockey them went to the Kaokoland as well some years ago. It is wonderful seeing other couple's enjoying going off the beaten track together like this, love it :D

And I saw the Helinox chairs at GPS4Africa. Though they are quite small, it is still a tad too much for a lightweight trip like this. We literally didn't take stretchers or anything, no luxury here hehe. I would consider one maybe when we do a longer trip on the 950's though.
*              ★.`.★   "I'm in love with a strict machine"  ★.`.★               *
Current: KTM 950SE, Husqvarna 701, KTM 500, Honda LS 125 Previous: Honda Africa Twin CRF 1000 DCT, KTM 950 SE, KTM 950 Adv, Aprilia 650 Pegaso Trail, BMW G450X, Husqvarna 350FE, KTM 690RFR
Ride Reports:
Xmas Xtreme - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=233018.0 Old Mill Drift -  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=234804.0

The following users thanked this post: MRK Miller

Offline Xpat

« Reply #125 on: October 17, 2019, 09:45:12 am »
Mick & Tan's report: https://advrider.com/f/threads/earths-ends-riding-dr650s-from-end-to-end.1037908/

In WC they stayed with 2SD if I remember correctly. Unfortunately they were using probably Photobucket for their SA leg of trip and those pictures are now not showing. But the latest episodes further up the Africa (they did it properly, including crossing Congo east to west) have pictures showing.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 09:48:43 am by Xpat »

The following users thanked this post: Minxy

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #126 on: October 17, 2019, 04:38:22 pm »
Yes, one of the best RRs Ive ever read, it is Tan, short for Tanya.  Tanya is studying for a degree in geology while they are navigating the globe on a couple of what appears, tired DR650s!

Captivating tales and pics of her hubby rebuilding his clutch in the DRC while swarms of tribes people swarmed him, looking over his shoulder while he repaired his mount.  As a northerner, I cannot imagine how hot and uncomfortable it mustve been for him to complete the task in that heat, without much air circulation from the droves of people around him.

Magical reading!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Im da Yooper, eh and I like to party...

Offline Minxy

« Reply #127 on: October 17, 2019, 05:08:17 pm »
Wednesday the 18th of September 2019

We don't rush too much this morning, today would be a fairly short day, with only about 112km to traverse. The catch though is that most of it is in the riverbeds :ricky:

Shortly after leaving Marble Camp, we ride through the vast Otjiha plains. Lovely, except quite corrugated. It's strange to think that so much traffic goes through a place like this.

Today's route.

We stop to visit one of the many stone men of the Kaokoland. A mysterious artist placed a number of these around the place. Supposedly there's quite a few, but some of them have already started disappearing. People taking them home as souvenirs perhaps?

We soon get into the first riverbed we'd be riding for the day, the Khumib. The photos never do the sand justice, but trust me it keeps you busy. The 4x4s have churned this place up proper and the riverbed winds and twists so you've really got to keep your wits about you. Thick sand suddenly turns to rock and shale and then back to sand again.

Flashback - On the Honda Quest back in 2017 we navigated a section of this riverbed, it was tough going back then on the big bikes. You have to ride SO much faster in the thick sand to stay afloat. And the faster you ride the big bike in sand, the scarier it is of course :o I remember falling literally right in front of the camera crew going around a sandy bend. I also remember holding my breath a few times when jumping the big bike down the sandy ledges. It was a challenging day for all the riders.

As soon as we enter the riverbeds we see Namibia come to life.

We see so much wildlife, giraffe being the most prevalent. A few of the giraffe even run out right in front of us, crossing the riverbed, when the helmet camera was off of course...

« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 08:18:06 pm by Minxy »
Ride Reports:

Offline Sheepman

« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2019, 06:43:27 pm »
I really enjoy your RR a lot - thanks for sharing  :thumleft:

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #129 on: October 19, 2019, 01:46:19 pm »
Great, great RR! Thanks for taking the trouble Minxy - we know these things take a lot of time!

We (wife, son 3.5 years old, daughter 16 months, myself) did a 3 week Nam trip in 1997 in an Isuzu KB. One week in Kaoko. No GPS yet, navigating from topo maps. At one stretch we didn't see another vehicle for 5 days. Ran out of tracks and navigated by map and sun for 3 days. Your RR made the memories alive again. Thinking that a repeat with my son, now 25, would be great. Now where would I be able to get 2 500s for decent money?!  ;D

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #130 on: October 19, 2019, 05:09:36 pm »
I am curious about this other couple now. Would be great if you could find their report.

I once saw a german couple going down Van Zyls on two 1150's. The husband rode both bikes down. I could not find a RR anywhere,
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Xpat

« Reply #131 on: October 19, 2019, 06:12:28 pm »
I am curious about this other couple now. Would be great if you could find their report.

I once saw a german couple going down Van Zyls on two 1150's. The husband rode both bikes down. I could not find a RR anywhere,

I linked it few posts above.

Offline Minxy

« Reply #132 on: October 19, 2019, 06:50:00 pm »
Great, great RR! Thanks for taking the trouble Minxy - we know these things take a lot of time!

We (wife, son 3.5 years old, daughter 16 months, myself) did a 3 week Nam trip in 1997 in an Isuzu KB. One week in Kaoko. No GPS yet, navigating from topo maps. At one stretch we didn't see another vehicle for 5 days. Ran out of tracks and navigated by map and sun for 3 days. Your RR made the memories alive again. Thinking that a repeat with my son, now 25, would be great. Now where would I be able to get 2 500s for decent money?!  ;D

Now that sounds like it was one incredible adventure! I think it will be awesome for you to revisit. I'll be waiting on your ride report that is for sure :D

Could it perhaps be this? https://www.touratech.co.th/webshop/product-detail/661-13/Video-DVD-Through-The-Wild-North-of-Namibia
Ride Reports:

Offline Minxy

« Reply #133 on: October 19, 2019, 08:19:50 pm »
Wednesday the 18th of September 2019 (continued)

We climb out of the Khumib river after what felt like ages. The sand in the Khumib reminds me a little of some of the sections in the Steelpoort riverbed which we rode earlier this year. We honestly didn't know we'd be visiting the Kaokoland again so soon, and somehow all the riding we did earlier this year helped us to be riding fit and ready for this trip. The Kaokoland is not a place for a beginner to come and pick up on skills, it is just too far away from help if anything goes wrong. You don't need to be some riding god to visit the Kaokoland, but you do NEED to be comfy on your bike, comfy in the sand and comfy in the rocks if you want to ride here and actually enjoy your experience. The right bike and setup helps a lot of course and HSK and I agreed that we would not have enjoyed this trip as much if we'd been riding here on the loaded 690RFR and 701 as planned in 2018. It made me think, maybe, just maybe, my bike's key breaking in two that year was actually a blessing in disguise? Hmmmm...

Flashback - Earlier this year and nearer to home, we rode just over 100km in the sands of the Steelpoort river.

The landscape drastically changes from sand to rock.

Riding along the red rocky roads.

As we come around the corner, a desert oasis welcomes us in the distance.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 08:18:27 pm by Minxy »
Ride Reports:

Offline Highsider

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I find your lack of faith disturbing - Darth Vadar
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #134 on: October 19, 2019, 08:34:42 pm »
Thanks for the gripping RR.  I think I read in this RR that you use a mousse front and rear.  If so, which brand and model do you use, and which tyres?

It's not what you ride, it's how you ride...
KTM 990 Adventure '08
BMW R850R '95
KTM 525 EXC '04

Offline Minxy

« Reply #135 on: October 19, 2019, 09:00:43 pm »
Thanks for the gripping RR.  I think I read in this RR that you use a mousse front and rear.  If so, which brand and model do you use, and which tyres?

Yes, we used mousses and they made things so much easier. It was great not to carry any spare tubes etc, which can add so much weight.

I am using the Mitas E13 front tyre and the Mitas E 12 rallystar rear. HSK had some enduro front tyre which the bike came out with, and a Michelin Desert Race rear. We both used Michelin BIB mousses front M15 (90/90/21) and rear (MO2 Desert) (140/80/18)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 09:07:08 pm by Minxy »
Ride Reports:

Offline Minxy

« Reply #136 on: October 19, 2019, 10:53:24 pm »

This wasnt a strange place; it was a new one - Paulo Coelho

There is something about seeing some green in the ever changing landscape that immediately ups our spirits and draws us closer. In the distance we catch glimpses of the mighty Hoarusib riverbed.

I stop frequently today to take photos. It almost feels like nobody will ever believe what we have experienced and seen here today. This place is for lack of a better word, just magical.

There are a few hills which offer amazing views over the vast riverbed. Even amidst the terrible drought there is so much beautiful lush greenery here.

I look out over the riverbed in complete amazement. This must be how the explorers of old felt like, not knowing what wonders they would come across on their travels.

And far in the distance, a Himba woman walks through the desert carrying water.

It is hard to believe that people can survive in an environment like this, and that so little has changed over the years. It's almost as if time stands still here.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 08:19:23 pm by Minxy »
Ride Reports:

Offline Minxy

« Reply #137 on: October 20, 2019, 01:08:14 am »

We enter the Hoarusib Riverbed. We didn't quite follow this route back when I was here and this was all new and exciting to me.
"I am not lost, I am exploring" - Jana Stanfield

OMG!!!

There are sooooo many tall horses!!!

We follow the beautiful riverbed and keep looking around in awe. Everything about this place is magical. Even just looking at these photos while writing the ride report immediately makes me want to pack my bike and visit this special place again. This has been such a highlight for us.

While riding along we stare into the greenery past all the palm trees hoping to see more elephant. We are not so lucky this time though.

We ride further into the unknown.

We'll never know,
We'll never know,
What stands behind the door
But I got a feeling, it's a feeling that's worth dying for.

Just close your eyes and hold your breath because it feels right
We'll keep it moving till we make it to the other side
And let's enjoy the ride
- David Guetta ft Sam Martin
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 08:19:53 pm by Minxy »
Ride Reports:

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #138 on: October 20, 2019, 08:02:29 am »
Your sense of wonder comes across so well. Thanks for taking me there too :deal:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #139 on: October 20, 2019, 09:11:31 am »
I'm loving this RR! Coz you guys get it: here it is not about the roads or the riding or whatever, it's the overwhelming "majestic-ness" of the place that talks directly with your soul.

The following users thanked this post: Appel