1200 clutch plate info from Cytech???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michnus

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
I saw this on ADVrider, what's the deal here, are these plates made in SA for TT and how does Cytech get hold of them so cheap, if it's the same one.

After burning out the clutch on my 2007 GSA in one year/7,500 km (www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334305) I'm having a ceramic clutch put in and I found one that's less than half the Touratech price.

It's from a company in South Africa, called Cycle Technology, part of a motorcycle tour company.

https://www.toursforafrica.co.za/old/accessories/General%20Access/A-Ceramic%20Clutch%20Plate.htm

Anyone else had experience with them?

The price is R1995 (that's South African Rand), or about $265 (Cdn.). Touratech Canada wanted more than $700 (Cdn.)

I e-mailed the supplier Thursday evening, got a prompt reply Friday morning with all my questions answered, and wired him the money the same day (He doesn't take credit cards, too much CC fraud in South Africa, he says). I must say I love this bit, what rubbish.

The total cost, with shipping and bank fees for the transfer, was $441 (Cdn.). Air shipping alone was $100 (Cdn.). Still cheaper than Touratech.

The website says it's the same one sold by Touratech, which seems likely since the Touratech model is also made in South Africa. (The photo below is the Cycle Tech plate)

The website also says it's guaranteed for life, if "driven correctly." I was told that meant: "riding respectably and not like a person trying to deliberately destroy the clutch plate or doing wheelies daily up and down the main roads. These clutches were designed for serious adventure travelers who are fully loaded to capacity and encounter serious thick sand or challenging road conditions and have to use the clutch constantly and drastically at times to get out of the sand or situation which they are in."

I'll update this thread as I progress toward a new clutch, and report on how it works.