tech is bad! I want to fix my carb next to the road!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m0lt3n

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I see this comment a lot and simply don't get it.

have anyone actually fixed a carburettor next to the road? I hate carburettors, they actually need servicing if you don't ride a lot. I don't have a petrol lawn mower as they are just issues and the same with a weedeater, dumped it. Why on earth would people make this claim, choose this for a bike?

With carbs you will get this unexplainable splutters and misses, you will start thinking your ignition coils are going or the battery or you have an earth fault, no sir, go clean your carb.
And who has actually serviced their carburettor mid trip? Lets not even talk about going up and down in altitude and those struggles...

The opposite is fuel injection. I have never had fuel injection issues. But I know of some, like the F800 is one of the worst, but just replace the fuel pump every 2 years for R800 and you will never get splutters and issues mid trip. Mind you it wont drop you, it will just make life a little difficult. You should get a fault code as well and just swop it after the trip.
On my bike, the 1190 it is also a common issue, caused by clogged fuel filters especially at very low mileage. It will also prevent WOT acceleration but otherwise not a trip ender...  or so I hear, 38k km on my bike and none of that as I keep the fuel filters clean.

Why on earth would you choose a carb?