Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Would anyone be interested in a Roadbook training in CT?  (Read 147 times)

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
Would anyone be interested in a Roadbook training in CT?
« on: October 03, 2019, 11:32:57 am »
I love everything rally and even though i'm not a rally rider by any stretch of the imagination I am always fiddling with something rally related.

I have always wanted to learn how to navigate at speed with a proper roadbook and also be involved in how to make up and develop new technology around roadbook navigation.Moving from paper roadbooks to tablets etc

This is something I am going to be doing as a hobby over the next few weeks / months with hopefully the end result to achieve a good master class in how to navigate, what equipment is needed, what it does and how to use it effectively. I want to develop my own routes through Parklands to Atlantis and maybe up the West coast and then also have a few tracks in the Tankwa for a roadbook weekend

If this is something you would be interested in taking part in leave your details here and Ill revisit it in a few months when I have everything together.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
Re: Would anyone be interested in a Roadbook training in CT?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 11:37:50 am »
@Fuzzy - an idea, maybe travel up yourself and do Nicklaus Lutzelers road-book introduction training, and then become the Cape guru on it, offering training down here on it?
(also CAP training, etc...)

Just a thought.
Cheers, Chris
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S3354.712 E01828.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 02:41:49 pm »
Yeah I wish my budget allowed me to do that..  but that is the idea, to do a series of training days to get some of the Cape boys interested in Rally as a natural progression. I'm talking to Clive to do something out in the Tankwa as well.

If the interest is there ill happily go for it. I'm going to be doing it for myself anyway.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Buff

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 02:55:45 pm »
It's something I'd keen keen on if I can find myself a cheapish roadbook setup. I'm sure there's more than enough guys locally with plenty roadbook knowledge that would be willing to assist  :thumleft:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 03:06:19 pm »
It's something I'd keen keen on if I can find myself a cheapish roadbook setup. I'm sure there's more than enough guys locally with plenty roadbook knowledge that would be willing to assist  :thumleft:

Scratch around on the internet.. I picked up a roadbook, switches & ICO for R1500.

Actually , I may even have a roxfox roadbook holder for you, it just needs a perspex cover and some O rings. Let me finish my build then ill let you know

The following users thanked this post: Buff

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 03:15:27 pm »
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S3354.712 E01828.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208

The following users thanked this post: Fuzzy Muzzy

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 04:24:11 pm »
...some interesting reading HERE: https://www.facebook.com/ElectronicRallyRoadbookProject/?hc_location=ufi

Chris

For sure, we are already looking at the electronic road books for Tankwa next year , it is for sure the future.

Naturally there are problems, for example, when guys crash, a manual road book is really necessary as a tablet is not going to survive a crash at speed, also poor visibility of screens with reflections and the advantages are weight saving and easy to read in the dark.. That being said, it is going to be implemented at Dakar and the likes . I will be looking to install one on my new build and will start testing it out... maybe ill use this thread to update how it goes.

Offline KarooKid

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 08:45:16 pm »
I happen to know some people who happen to know a little about roadbooks.

I think it is a great initiative. I will be there to learn with you.

Shout and we can make it happen.

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies

Offline geopat

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 05:12:42 am »
I'm keen to learn also.but I'm looking for.a handlebar controller and trip cap displays if anyone has something lying around let me know (have F2R roadblock and holder

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 11:43:07 am »
I happen to know some people who happen to know a little about roadbooks.

I think it is a great initiative. I will be there to learn with you.

Shout and we can make it happen.

Charl, are you referring to actually making up a roadbook from a track?