Tankwa Trek (16 - 30 Sept 2019): Oh I don't know where I'm going

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ri

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
The early light is breaking
The morning sun is waiting in the sky
And I think I'm gonna break away
And follow where the birds of freedom fly
I need to give, I need to live
For the world is slowly turning
And the lights of love are burning in my eyes

Caravans, oh my soul is on the run
Overland, I am flying
Caravans moving out into the sun
Oh I don't know where I'm going
But I'm going

Wish I had the wisdom
To find some simple words to make you see
The things that mean a lot to you
Don't always seem to mean a lot to me
I need to breathe, I need to leave
When the sands of time go drifting by
I may be on my own
But I'll be free

[youtube]https://youtu.be/IQXpJP0_8xQ[/youtube]

Day 1

I lie in bed late morning on Monday covered by my Cuz's animals. My bike is loaded, I have an idea of roads I want to ride, but really there is no urgency. No one is riding with me, and I haven't booked any accommodation. I haven't even filled the tank yet. The only place I need to be is Rooiputs for the Tankwa XC Rally, and that's only the next weekend.

Lethargy lies on me as heavily as the overweight daschhund.

I stir my lazy bones and WhatsApp a friend in Bettysbaai, telling him I'm stopping by for some advice. I hop on the bike and kick off. Once I get going, I know I'll keep going. And maybe he offers me a couch to sleep on for the night.

When I get there, the overloaded Panther waddles like a whale and I realise I need to rethink the weight distribution. My friend is no help on routes or the offer of a couch, but his girlfriend makes a mean braaibroodjie and bolsters my courage with some Chenin Blanc. I repack the Panther and leave a few things behind. Astonished passersby stare at the puffy windblown blonde stuffing tins into pannier bags with fierce focus.

My friend suggests Villiersdorp, where we have a mutual friend, and I head off, finally hitting gravel at Van der Stel Pass. I always forget how beautiful this valley is, and my spirit soars. I'm on the road! My vacation has begun! I'll worry about accommodation when I get there. (Any person acquainted with my controlling OCD self will probably faint on reading this, but I learnt a lot about going with the flow on my last trip in June with [member=22458]the ruffian[/member]).