Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Using a cellphone as a SATphone?  (Read 356 times)

Offline Gypsybaron

• My mind is like an eight lane highway - gridlocked!
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pick a direction, not a destination, and ride!
Using a cellphone as a SATphone?
« on: October 04, 2019, 07:36:42 pm »
https://www.satcase.com/

Does anyone have more information about this? Seems like a good idea, but probably VERY expensive. On the other hand, what is the price of peace of mind when you are in the middle of nowhere in Africa?
ďAll education is self-education. A teacher is only a guide, to point out the way, and no school, no matter how excellent, can give you education. What you receive is like the outlines in a childís coloring book. You must fill in the colors yourself.Ē Louis L'Amour - The lonesome gods

"It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go." Randy Travis - Three Wooden Crosses

Offline Offshore

Re: Using a cellphone as a SATphone?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 07:38:19 pm »
 :sip:

Offline Knucklhead

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • aka: Mooseknuckle/ knucky/knuckles/philistine
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 12:20:35 pm »
https://www.satcase.com/

Does anyone have more information about this? Seems like a good idea, but probably VERY expensive. On the other hand, what is the price of peace of mind when you are in the middle of nowhere in Africa?

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=237331.msg4255354#msg4255354

some reading  :deal:

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 06:42:43 pm »
Buy a garmin inreach mini. You can pair with your phone to send text messages and people can live track you via the internet. This is the future in my opinion, more affordable and versatile than satphones. I think the subscription is like R200pm for the basic plan and you can choose to activate it only for the month you need it afaik.

That said, you can't phone with the inreach mini but for emergencies I prefer text as you can easily convey exactly what you want without people hearing something else.
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 07:16:40 pm »
I have an Iridium Go satellite modem - Bluetooth connection to my iPhone and it becomes a satellite phone and I can call, sms, WhatsApp, email and browse the web

Nice toy

But you ultimately need to rely on your yourself to get yourself in and out of trouble

I donít know any people who can or would want to rescue me
The older I get the faster I was