Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TSAT (Trans South Africa Trail)  (Read 21296 times)

Offline Losper

• Tour operator specializing in Lesotho, Namakwaland and the Richtersveld
  • Vendors
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Ons vat jou waar jou ma nie weet jy is nie
    • Facebook: LosperAdventures
Re: TSAT (Trans South Africa Trail)
« Reply #220 on: April 29, 2020, 02:07:25 pm »
route difficulty and remoteness classification.
I would say one should have different levels of routes classification
For example
the main route can be RED loop
but there can be sections coming of it for the more adventurous in green or blue.
single track or very technical jeep track or sandy section the average joe won't necessary wanna do
 :pot:
That is a very good idea!
We do adventure and enduro bike tours, specializing in Lesotho, Namakaland and the Richtersveld.

Offline MildlyWild

• Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
« Reply #221 on: April 29, 2020, 02:12:16 pm »
XT JOE,  yes I agree, Sewe passe must be included.

Have a look at the blue line, I have included "Quteniqua pass" with "Sewe passe" and "Kom se pad" all the way thru Baviaans via Angie's.

Maybe rather Montague Pass instead of Outeniqua Pass? Right next to each other but Montague is beautiful gravel
As a man thinketh, so he becomes...

Offline Losper

• Tour operator specializing in Lesotho, Namakwaland and the Richtersveld
  • Vendors
  • Ons vat jou waar jou ma nie weet jy is nie
    • Facebook: LosperAdventures
« Reply #222 on: April 29, 2020, 02:19:30 pm »
Maybe rather Montague Pass instead of Outeniqua Pass? Right next to each other but Montague is beautiful gravel
Yes sorry, my mistake, I meant Montague pass.
Download the gpx file above, Montague is included there.
We do adventure and enduro bike tours, specializing in Lesotho, Namakaland and the Richtersveld.

Offline MildlyWild

• Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
« Reply #223 on: April 29, 2020, 02:45:44 pm »
Yes sorry, my mistake, I meant Montague pass.
Download the gpx file above, Montague is included there.

Cool.  Is there also gpx for the routes from De Rust onwards to check?  I might be able to help with suggestions from there all the way to Agulhas via Sutherland
Is there a specific number of days you guys would like to use from De Rust to the end?
As a man thinketh, so he becomes...

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #224 on: April 29, 2020, 07:56:18 pm »
I made jump out routes from Gauteng where you can head east towards Lydenburg and join the track coming down south of Lesotho or north west and do the northern section that goes through the Kalahari then down the west coast. The northern route is quite remote but will also be stunning.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

The following users thanked this post: Hennie

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #225 on: April 30, 2020, 11:50:28 am »
North VS South  :ricky:
J.R.R Tolkien

The following users thanked this post: Hennie

Offline steveindar

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Eish!
« Reply #226 on: April 30, 2020, 12:58:32 pm »
Thanks to all for your input's, here's hoping something concrete grows out of this. I visit SA once or twice a year and always try and get some riding done. This is great and can be split into bite size chunks of a few days at a time.

Thanks.

:thumleft: :thumleft:
COVID KILLS SADDLE TIME!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ??? VFR750 Potential off-road hooligan bike!

Offline Grunder

« Reply #227 on: April 30, 2020, 02:32:57 pm »
F800gs

Offline BuRP

« Reply #228 on: April 30, 2020, 04:48:13 pm »
North VS South

Great!
Gooi sommer al roetes in, 'nog' is beter!  :thumleft:
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Offline BuRP

« Reply #229 on: April 30, 2020, 04:49:25 pm »
Multiplechoice het mos so sy voordele ....  ;)
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

The following users thanked this post: sidetrack

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #230 on: April 30, 2020, 05:25:47 pm »
Gaan n moerse nice roete wees, Instagram groei elke dag. Die ouens soek avontuur  :ricky:
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #231 on: April 30, 2020, 05:27:35 pm »
North VS South

Great!
Gooi sommer al roetes in, 'nog' is beter!  :thumleft:
Ja kan sommer n sirkel roete maak dan join jy enige plek. Wil net Limpopo bevestig, dit is die moeilikste provinsie om te plot ! Ek het n roete maar wil dit graag eers ry.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 05:34:49 pm by sidetrack »
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline intothewild

Offline XT JOE

« Reply #233 on: April 30, 2020, 11:23:46 pm »
Working on loan pc at home so no maps to be viewed- and as i prefer to see the roads connecting the towns my initial thoughts as below.  Alternative routes to be added and maybe points of interest, and then accommodation possibilities maybe.  It s up to the individual as to how far they wish to travel so we can just lay it out and mention  difficult allow for more time in relevant sections. Km based on Google maps which which we have found not 100% so hold the whip. Below is two options- without  faffing to much which do you think is ideal- or alternative just stick to map co ords

Starting in Cape Town head out on N2
1/R44 or scenic R43 to Hermanus Stanford Gansbay ,Elim Augulas- (fromCT 225km )
Augulas to Bredasdorp right Malgas, crossing the pont to Vermaaklikheid and then Stillbay (from CT 435km)

or
2/Head north out of Stillbay on R305 for 16km turn right on Hectorskraal dirt rd 20 km later T junction N2 turn right and left into Albertinia take road north to Herbertsdale, at about 20 km follow sign turning right to Herbertsdale, 6 km out of town on the dirt road forks take right and 15 km later at t junction left and another 20km t junction with R328 tar road- take left to Oudshoorn

From Oudshoorn head south east towards George on N12 and where the roads join the N9 take a left towards Uniondale and after 9 km take a right on the historic Montague pass dirt road- travel 17 scenic km join N12 again into George. Staying on N12 through George take the Sewe Passe road to your left- for 75 km travel this scenic dirt road through little villages of Karatara ,Rheenedal finishing outside Knysna. Take N2 left to Knysna and on the eastern side of town take a left on the R339 Prins Alfreds pass. T junction with R62 right and immediate left staying on the R339

Any thoughts- will fill in the next bit onwards to Lesotho in next section :clock: :computer:

When life gets to hard to stand. kneel

Offline Slim Jim

« Reply #234 on: May 01, 2020, 08:01:04 am »
Hey Side Track, Morning from a first of May frost in the Midlands.[Like clock work every year]
I'm going to work down fron the Freestate around the lower side of Lesotu.
From Harrismith [Golden Gate ] go Sterkfontain [you can go to Kal Foet vrou,Slangspruit and come out in Winterton.[nice places to stay are Royal national park, Amphitherters back packers and tons of B'Bs.follow the old road and explore the berg to your hearts content [catherdral peak,the nest,champain sports,there are so my to talk about there]. follow on through Loskop and head towards White Mountain and head for the Kamberg.The view and the ride is amaizing .You can detour through the midland [Rosetta,Nottingham Road ] head for Loteni.A nice camp area is the Lower Loteni camp [R80 pp in the mountains] From there carry on to Sanni pass and head to Himeville,Underberg and there are awsome camps there...[ Silver streams,St Burnards peak and if you 2 up an awsome B"B in Swartberg.[find the local bottle store and its just behind it.R250 if I remember correct] from there its dirt to Mattatela and to mount fletcher,from there you can take the Naudeers neck and explore [ the 10 10 is there] stay at walk abouts and from there you can go any were for a few days.[Tiffindale,war trail,the TTT, lundeens neck, upper and lower Tenner] Its simply amaizing adventure riding.
From there you go Brackley east and join up with your map.
Just a rough route, it will take around 4 days or up to a week depending on how much you want to explore.......
Happy Days
Cheers
Jim

The following users thanked this post: sidetrack, husky

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #235 on: May 01, 2020, 12:41:30 pm »
Hey Side Track, Morning from a first of May frost in the Midlands.[Like clock work every year]
I'm going to work down fron the Freestate around the lower side of Lesotu.
From Harrismith [Golden Gate ] go Sterkfontain [you can go to Kal Foet vrou,Slangspruit and come out in Winterton.[nice places to stay are Royal national park, Amphitherters back packers and tons of B'Bs.follow the old road and explore the berg to your hearts content [catherdral peak,the nest,champain sports,there are so my to talk about there]. follow on through Loskop and head towards White Mountain and head for the Kamberg.The view and the ride is amaizing .You can detour through the midland [Rosetta,Nottingham Road ] head for Loteni.A nice camp area is the Lower Loteni camp [R80 pp in the mountains] From there carry on to Sanni pass and head to Himeville,Underberg and there are awsome camps there...[ Silver streams,St Burnards peak and if you 2 up an awsome B"B in Swartberg.[find the local bottle store and its just behind it.R250 if I remember correct] from there its dirt to Mattatela and to mount fletcher,from there you can take the Naudeers neck and explore [ the 10 10 is there] stay at walk abouts and from there you can go any were for a few days.[Tiffindale,war trail,the TTT, lundeens neck, upper and lower Tenner] Its simply amaizing adventure riding.
From there you go Brackley east and join up with your map.
Just a rough route, it will take around 4 days or up to a week depending on how much you want to explore.......
Happy Days
Cheers
Jim
What I have is coming down from Wakkerstroom through the mountains towards Utrecht you can do the Bloed River / Isandwala route then onto Van Reenen with a loop coming down Bezuidenhout Pass towards Spieonkop through Bergville, then onto Himeville and Underberg. From there lower loteni and all the passes.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 12:42:21 pm by sidetrack »
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Slim Jim

« Reply #236 on: May 01, 2020, 03:10:19 pm »
Thats a nice trip

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #237 on: May 01, 2020, 03:50:05 pm »
As Cyril nou daai deure oopmaak, ry ek sommer die TET en die TAT, heeltemal plat.

Offline SchalkL

« Reply #238 on: May 01, 2020, 04:26:40 pm »
Just a concern here.............
I have done many of the tracks mentioned in this thread and some of them are not easy achievable with big adventure bike if you not a VERY good rider.
The idea of the TAT is a route possible by 80% and the "extra" difficult options marked in red. How is this gonna work? Not the same as the TAT?
If you target is the overseas market they will 90% rent a bike and be big trouble.
OR do i misunderstand the purpose of this initiative ?
Cheers
Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans

Offline Antonie

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #239 on: May 01, 2020, 05:17:14 pm »
This is awesome! Thanks @sidetrack and all who has contributed.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk