Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TSAT (Trans South Africa Trail)  (Read 21398 times)

Offline XT JOE

Re: TSAT (Trans South Africa Trail)
« Reply #260 on: May 13, 2020, 07:17:52 am »
Thoughts on Limpopo/northwest to N/cape section
Turning left Ofcolaco over the Orrie Baragwanath pass to Zebediela and over Vaalwater to Thabazimbi, accommodation suggestions
Thabazimbi to Dwaalboom to Sesobe and Zeerust
Zeerust to Ottoshoop to Slurry, Mahikeng, Disoneng to Tosca/Vergelee/Bray any accommodation
Bray to Vanzylsrus,Askham and Molopo lodge
Molopo lodge, Augrabies, Riemvasmaak, maybe Onseepkrans and onto Pella
Pella, Pofadder, Kliprand, Niewoudtville, Wupperthal to Oasis in Cederberg
From Oasis on route joins with Lospers again.
Pleases add suggestions advice on this.
Orrie is tough since you cant get access travelling from the north as far as I know. XT Joe we should combine forces, I have a semi decent webpage and everything  :deal:

tsat.co.za

Have some tracks for LP but still have to pre ride them after Covid
Its always been the plan Jacques, its not my route but ours and ours meaning everbody who assisted in someway or another. As we go along we can change as require. Nice site you got which you created, just surprised you did not put in on here until it was found by chance. Anyway going forward i'm waiting for details on the limpopo and down west loop scratching through jeepclubs to facebook sites and then we can put the puzzle together after a few dry runs.
When life gets to hard to stand. kneel

Offline XT JOE

« Reply #261 on: May 13, 2020, 10:01:25 pm »
and just found out that Jacques sidetrack started this thread longway back in general banter, eish . Sometimes ...
Can we combine this into one thread please moderator
Thks

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #262 on: May 14, 2020, 06:45:15 pm »
I merged the topics on XT JOE's request. Should I leave it under General or movie it to planning a ride?

Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Sabre

« Reply #263 on: May 14, 2020, 08:18:27 pm »
I merged the topics on XT JOE's request. Should I leave it under General or movie it to planning a ride?
I think it will get more exposure under General
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline Mayhem

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Do it in the dirt
« Reply #264 on: May 14, 2020, 09:25:09 pm »
Did Durban to Cape town with 200 km tar and 2800 km dirt

Sent from my NEO-L29 using Tapatalk
Have you got any further details?
Draad and I are thinking of doing something like this on CRF230 s...
How long did you take, where did you overnight, etc.
We left Kloof and rode all dirt to Matatiele (day one) then to Rhodes via Ongeluksnek and Telle bridge (day two) spent an extra day in Rhodes because it was so awesome. It was winter and lots of snow and very cold. Then down to Hogsback (day three). From there to Baviaans via Steytlerville (day four). Then over Swartberg to Prince Albert (day five). Across to Tankwa (probably the longest single stretch of tar) to Oasis (day six). Last day across to Westcoast down to Cape Town. We were on HP2, 990, 660 and 650 XR. Mostly easy riding except Lesotho section and a bit of Eastern Cape. B&B all the way.

Sent from my NEO-L29 using Tapatalk

BMW 1150 Adventure (gone)
BMW HP 2 (gone)
Ducati 500 Pantah (gone)
1200 LC Trophy Edition (gone)
BMW R 1200 Rallye, Husqvarna 701 Enduro

Offline XT JOE

« Reply #265 on: May 15, 2020, 02:48:34 pm »
Just some general suggestions by good man Chris Wilkinson from PTA whos happy to share. Sean trolling routes on FB adventure bike sites-jislaaik.  I have attached some of the route clips and think we have a round trip covered with plenty options.
1.   I recommend starting at Groot Brak police station –  Eight bells, Herbertsdale, Cloetes pass, Van wyklsdorp, Rooibergpass, Calitzdorp, Groen vlei road pass Nelsdam , kruisrivier, swartberg pass, Prins albert. Stay at railway calitzdorp(nice pub) or Prins albert. This is my most scenic road in the country. Check in at photographer in Kruisrivier  -rodger young.
2.   Then come back over pass and go via Kango Caves, agricultural roads pass De Rust (iow  south of Swartberg mountain range) to Willowmore, baviaans, patensie, Hankey.
3.   This part I don’t know so well. You can go to East Londen either along coast or inland and then go via Transkei dirt roads to Kokstad. From Kokstad I there is a lovely dirt road wrapping the Lesotho border all the way up to Winterton and Bergville amazing scenery and no cars. You can shoot in to Nottingham roadl in midlands nice breweries.
4.   I will then aim for Normandien pass – must do -  (steep but doable on 1200 – steeper sections cemented ), to Meumel, and Wakkerstroom, all dirt roads. Wakkerstroom the place to stay but Meumel hotel also very nce
5.   Wakker stroom to Dullstroom maybe over Machado dorp. Dull stroom very scenic.
6.   At Dullstroom area you HAVE to stay with Joe Holmes (Bush boys – 0825791861) just outside Tonteldoos – these is not a larger adventure bike personality on the planet! Or Peter in Tonteldoos, they are buddies. They will assist with routes in area.
7.   If you want to do lowveld, contact Mark Taylor he knows that area well. But Joe will also know.
8.   Limpopo I do not know that well – Rankins pass near Thabazimbie a must – stay at Thaba Nkwe 5KM ouside Thabazimbie. Nice pub and restaurant. 0829262693
9.   If you can find your way to Zeerust and Mafeking -  I know there is a route that runs along the Botswana border that starts near a natural spring outside Mafekeng, and goes all the way to Vanzyls Rus – I have done part of it, it is in the Molopo river. It is not too sandy. I did part of it on a KDX 200, a friend did it on a Dakar 650 recently. The route was in a recent Go Magazine about 6 months ago.
10.   Aim for Upington  (you may want to pass through my home town Upington to stock up/ do bike repairs as it is last chance before Springbok really – my old home town)
11.   From Upington   - don’t take tar to Keimoes too busy trucks etc. Dirt road via Louisvale, Kanon Eiland (go over beautiful bridge – just to see river but stick to dirt road) – Neilers drift, Neus, Kakamas (still dirt).
12.   Kakamans – Augrabies, Blouputz, over bridge over Orange river, to Riemvasmaak. Sleep there- chalets and hot water springs / a beautiful canyon-  Vredesvallei road also one of most scenic  routes ever. On my GPX there is a loop through mountains but it is technical although amazing. Take faster dirt back to Kakamas or same vredesvallei road to Blouputz and dirt to Pofadder – tar to pella.
13.   From Augrabies there is a dirt road to town of pella  - visit roman catholic catherdral.
14.   Sleep at Klein Pella Guest farm  - best place -  great camping/ chalets and pool. go down to river to look at date plantations. One of biggest farms in SA.
15.   From there you can join the Namaqua eco route of which I have done only a portion. From Klein Pella farm you take a dirt road west and turn off down to river at Witbank sign.
16.   This road will lead to a road all on the banks of the Orange river all the way to Goodhouse – goes further but from there I don’t know it – do research as there may be sand bit amazing 4x4 route  -did it more than 10 years ago.
17.   Then you can go all the way up to sendelings drift via the Eksteen, kubus,  - then to Alexander Bay , it is a conservancy and amazing routes  -some mountains and sand – cant go into park with bike.
18.   Then to port nolloth (I did work there) – lovely town.
19.   I would not go to hondekilp bay with bigger bikers lots of and. I will aim for springbok then south along dirt road along escarpment  (west of N7) to Garies.
20.   Aim for Clanwillaim  -do the longest dirt road south to Tankwa and do old postal route via Biedouw valley to Wuppertal and 4x4 route to Ceres. If in winder Doring river may be full -then via botterkloof pass.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 02:50:42 pm by XT JOE »

Offline SchalkL

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #266 on: May 16, 2020, 09:25:30 pm »
So, am i right if i say we have the underneath tracks now and still need the bit from Limpopo to Northern cape?
Its fairly easy to use basecamp with T4A and just plot the gravel closest to the SA border to meet up with Track1 again but what the road really looks like is another story?? I assume the aim is still for the average big adv bike rider to do this?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 09:37:43 pm by SchalkL »
Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #267 on: May 18, 2020, 04:52:21 pm »
I think it will get more exposure under General

:thumleft:
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Kleebs

« Reply #268 on: May 18, 2020, 09:32:14 pm »
2017 I rode around SA and visited every border post. Rode as close to oceans and borders as possible. 8500km anyone is welcome to contact me for info on routes etc

The following users thanked this post: XT JOE

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #269 on: May 19, 2020, 12:22:40 pm »
TSAT North and South as I have it now

Both will have breakout rides from GP to join the track (TSAT south breakout not shown here)

Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #270 on: May 20, 2020, 12:57:50 pm »
OK here is my contribution after being asked by XT Joe to assist with the KZN section of the route.

My route runs from Amersfoort in the North to the start of Sani Pass.

It is a 2 day route, with a highly recommended overnight stop at Zingela, which is about half way through the route.

The route is 681km in length, it is probably 90% on dirt roads, it is all on public roads and should be fine for an average rider on a 1200.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline bud500

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #271 on: May 20, 2020, 03:25:27 pm »
Really like this idea. Great work to all involved.  :thumleft:

Some suggestions:
1. You need a banner on the beta site's landing page "shouting" out the trail's name. Although the logo is awesome, it's a bit hidden.
2. Considering foreigners, one would have to be very clear around visa requirements if the route goes out of SA and into Lesotho or Swazi.
3. In terms of funding, maybe consider a certificate of completion, for a small fee. Such as the Ironbutt Association does, or the Aussie Hard Arse Rider Challenge.

Keep up the good work.  :ricky:
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #272 on: May 21, 2020, 09:09:26 am »
OK here is my contribution after being asked by XT Joe to assist with the KZN section of the route.

It is a 2 day route, with a highly recommended overnight stop at Zingela, which is about half way through the route.

The route is 681km in length, it is probably 90% on dirt roads, it is all on public roads and should be fine for an average rider on a 1200.
@JonW , the route I have runs more to the west (Bezuidenhouts, Spioenkop, Bergville, Underberg etc) . Have you ridden this section and which one would you prefer ?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 10:59:12 am by sidetrack »
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #273 on: May 21, 2020, 09:17:53 am »
Damn so many dirt roads the most tricky bit is deciding on which one is the most scenic !
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline SchalkL

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #274 on: May 21, 2020, 09:52:29 am »
Little bit of point but i just looked at ioverlander website or app and its amazing. Camping spots all over the world including everywhere on the TSAT.
Cheers.
Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #275 on: May 21, 2020, 10:14:38 am »
Little bit of point but i just looked at ioverlander website or app and its amazing. Camping spots all over the world including everywhere on the TSAT.
Cheers.
Great now to merge the two  :thumleft:
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #276 on: May 23, 2020, 10:58:15 am »

@JonW , the route I have runs more to the west (Bezuidenhouts, Spioenkop, Bergville, Underberg etc) . Have you ridden this section and which one would you prefer ?

Sidetrack I am sure your route is cool, I think I have done most of those roads.

I prefer the route that I came up with because it takes you through the real KZN, past historic sites such as Rorkes Drift and through the bush of the Tugela Valley.

I can't see exactly where some of your route goes as you didn't post the gpx file, but I think a lot of it is on straight roads that go past miles of mielie fields, great if your objective is to get through as quickly as possible.

I wouldn't include Bezuidenhout's in the route, can get gnarly and may be too much for an average rider on a 1200.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #277 on: May 23, 2020, 12:04:46 pm »

Sidetrack I am sure your route is cool, I think I have done most of those roads.

I prefer the route that I came up with because it takes you through the real KZN, past historic sites such as Rorkes Drift and through the bush of the Tugela Valley.

I can't see exactly where some of your route goes as you didn't post the gpx file, but I think a lot of it is on straight roads that go past miles of mielie fields, great if your objective is to get through as quickly as possible.

I wouldn't include Bezuidenhout's in the route, can get gnarly and may be too much for an average rider on a 1200.
Great thanks, real KZN sounds good  :thumleft:
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline 73 Peanut

« Reply #278 on: May 24, 2020, 08:19:36 pm »
You need to ask Tommy transalp and Draad to go for a ride up bezuidenhouts and give you there opinion because I to agree that it is to rough for heavier adventure bikes doing a long trip . It could put a person off the route .

Offline bud500

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #279 on: May 25, 2020, 09:58:49 am »
Conceptually I also like how these guys manage this iconic hiking trail.

https://appalachiantrail.org/explore/

« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 10:01:34 am by bud500 »
May the bridges I burn light the way...