Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TSAT (Trans South Africa Trail)  (Read 20961 times)

Offline Ventana

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • De Colores!!
Re: TSAT (Trans South Africa Trail)
« Reply #340 on: August 28, 2020, 10:08:37 am »
Thanks for all the effort in putting the TSAT together  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

- now I just need to find the time to do it........
"Never look down on anyone, unless you're helping them up"

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #341 on: August 29, 2020, 09:26:08 pm »

Any EC sections you want ridden just shout - probably going Katberg/Hogsback direction this weekend.  :thumleft: :ricky: :ricky:
Hi I have this in and around Hogsback, how rough is section 46 and 47 ? Best route to take the 47 or 48S ? Northern one looks to be more scenic and has some extra passes ?

46 is scenic and good riding. 47 - Mitchels Pass used to be hectic but was rebuit and not rough now (will have another look this wekend) 47 - from Seymour to Katbeg Pass is fine but 47 - Katberg Pass itself is a lot more challenging and washed out to bedrock these days, with some step-ups, 48S is fine riding and very scenic (actually the whole area) and would be easier than the 47 Katberg Pass piece I thnk. But both are great adventure riding. The Rally Raid is being held at Hogsback this weekend with 150 riders so I am sure these routes will get ridden and you should have first hand current feedback.
[/quote]Yes see some good roads there
[/quote]

Ok so those maps must be an old Rally Raid but do show some routes in the area. Just an update on 47 Mitchells Pass - after they rebuilt it a few years ago it was a veritable gravel highway having been virtually impassable at one stage. Well now it is starting to return to its previous ignominious state! Still quite rideable by intermediate riders, with a few washed out areas starting to show bedrock again. Momentum is key. Avoid if possible if very wet. They should really repair it now while they can.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

The following users thanked this post: Fran

Offline charlatan

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #342 on: August 30, 2020, 12:17:13 pm »
Just came across this thread. Think it's a great idea, but where can I see the full route? The .gpx linked on the first thread is 3.5kb and contains only one waypoint (Mankele campsite).  :-\

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #343 on: August 31, 2020, 07:23:21 am »
Just came across this thread. Think it's a great idea, but where can I see the full route? The .gpx linked on the first thread is 3.5kb and contains only one waypoint (Mankele campsite).  :-\
It's fixed, correct file uploaded (16MB)
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

The following users thanked this post: charlatan

Offline charlatan

« Reply #344 on: August 31, 2020, 10:58:08 pm »
Thanks for fixing!

We actually did tracks 71, 72 & 73 (Middelpos, Gannaga, Eselbank, Ceres) about a week ago. The Doring crossing at Uitspankraal was not passable by 4x4, but they have a new & improved bike pont. Basically, you strap your bike to a makeshift frame and swim it across. Much fun. See https://www.facebook.com/Uitspankraal/posts/2503868433049513
I can vouch that it will easily carry a loaded 1290. Just keep your boots on... I slipped in the mud on the bank and removed a toe nail.

Towards Middelpos:

Gannaga pass

Getting some pussy at Gannaga lodge

Blinkvlei pan?

Uitspankraal

« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 11:14:38 pm by charlatan »

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #345 on: September 01, 2020, 07:58:14 am »
Thanks for fixing!

We actually did tracks 71, 72 & 73 (Middelpos, Gannaga, Eselbank, Ceres) about a week ago. The Doring crossing at Uitspankraal was not passable by 4x4, but they have a new & improved bike pont. Basically, you strap your bike to a makeshift frame and swim it across. Much fun. See https://www.facebook.com/Uitspankraal/posts/2503868433049513
I can vouch that it will easily carry a loaded 1290. Just keep your boots on... I slipped in the mud on the bank and removed a toe nail.

Towards Middelpos:

Gannaga pass

Blinkvlei pan?

Uitspankraal

Great thanks a lot, so the water crossing is on the TSAT route ?
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #346 on: September 01, 2020, 08:44:10 am »
Confirmed sections ridden to be marked in green
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #347 on: September 01, 2020, 09:00:03 am »
Perhaps note somewhere the (approx) date it was ridden?

@sidetrack - this is coming along big time. It will be fantastic when done (not it will ever be "done" - there will be continuous updates and add-ons, I guess).

Do you have any plans to "market" the TSAT when at operational status? Like on the US and EU adv forums? And with local service/accomm providers? (Not really necessary for me to know all these details; I'm just following this keenly simply because I'm captivated by your vision and enthusiasm!)  :thumleft:

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #348 on: September 01, 2020, 09:13:49 am »
Perhaps note somewhere the (approx) date it was ridden?

@sidetrack - this is coming along big time. It will be fantastic when done (not it will ever be "done" - there will be continuous updates and add-ons, I guess).

Do you have any plans to "market" the TSAT when at operational status? Like on the US and EU adv forums? And with local service/accomm providers? (Not really necessary for me to know all these details; I'm just following this keenly simply because I'm captivated by your vision and enthusiasm!)  :thumleft:
That would be great but it will take some doing, I'm only adding bits and bobs here and there in between my real work  ::) Progress is slow and I don't really have a mind for business as I can attest by always selling my bikes for a loss  :lol8: But one can always try. Yes not sure if it will ever be 100%, just the accommodation for example I pulled of GE as they are close or near the route. Cant say if they all still exist or will even be motorcycle friendly but as a collective I'm sure we can get this to work.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #349 on: September 01, 2020, 09:14:58 am »
Thanks for fixing!

Towards Middelpos:

Gannaga pass

Blinkvlei pan?

Uitspankraal

May I use some of the photos for the Instagram page ? If you can remember on which section it was taken ?
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline charlatan

« Reply #350 on: September 02, 2020, 09:07:19 am »
Great thanks a lot, so the water crossing is on the TSAT route ?

Yes, Track 72 where it crosses the Doringrivier
May I use some of the photos for the Instagram page ? If you can remember on which section it was taken ?

No problem with me, but I'll have to check with the other guys first.
The first pic is towards the end of Track #70, Gannaga lodge and pass is on #71, and the rest are all on #72

Offline charlatan

« Reply #351 on: September 02, 2020, 05:33:19 pm »
Keep in mind, I've been told that much of that route (track #72) crosses private land. There are a number of gates to open & close.
If you do decide to travel this route, please be considerate and respect the land owners, i.e. take it slow.

Offline mordy

« Reply #352 on: October 03, 2020, 03:17:10 pm »
@sidetrack I rode the section with the turnoff between Roosenekal and Lydenburg about 2 days ago. I think it was the Beetge turnoff. There are some technical rocky sections and amazing views. Only problem is after all that there's a locked black gate about three quarters into the route to the R37. Strange as the previous 3 gates I went through were just closed. So that option would be just go check the views and come back or find some way to get through there (maybe there's someone at Salberg river retreat that can open or has the combo or whatever).

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #353 on: October 03, 2020, 03:32:33 pm »
Big problem in SA compared to Euro TET ... farm security and gates being locked even on public roads ...  :o
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline mordy

« Reply #354 on: October 03, 2020, 03:55:18 pm »
Ja nee, bit of a kak one. In hindsight I could have used my reverse/selfie camera and checked the sign on the gate for a number or something but 20/20 and all that. It was still a lekker ride back climbing up the rocks.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #355 on: October 04, 2020, 05:57:31 pm »
@sidetrack I rode the section with the turnoff between Roosenekal and Lydenburg about 2 days ago. I think it was the Beetge turnoff. There are some technical rocky sections and amazing views. Only problem is after all that there's a locked black gate about three quarters into the route to the R37. Strange as the previous 3 gates I went through were just closed. So that option would be just go check the views and come back or find some way to get through there (maybe there's someone at Salberg river retreat that can open or has the combo or whatever).

Thanks there is another option Hazyview side. I have tried to call Salberg a number of times but the number on the internet does not work.
J.R.R Tolkien