Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TSAT (Trans South Africa Trail)  (Read 48351 times)

Offline lukestrugnell

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Pack Dog
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
    • Ecological Logistics
Re: TSAT (Trans South Africa Trail)
« Reply #120 on: April 13, 2020, 09:13:37 pm »
Am I misunderstanding this project then? I’m sorry, I am not familiar with how the TAT and other trails work.
The TAT, TET and TSAT are just gpx routes that someone compiled, named and put online.

There are several different TAT routes by different people. One of the TAT compilers charges a small fee for the gpx file.

The TET route gpx file is free, and they ask for voluntary donations to support hosting.

Jacques is wanting to use the same idea as the TET for the TSAT - a donation model.

Hosting and domain registration are around R200/month these days, so it's not expensive to run the website.

It's the time required to compile, check maintain and support the route that costs time.

The routes use public roads and riding the routes is always free.

The voluntary donation is only for supporting the monthly expenses that the route-creator incurs.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
If it were me I would make it free and then sell advertising on the website to accommodation along route, bike rental guys, etc. Cover expenses that way

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

www.ecologicallogistics.co.za
Facebook: @EcologicalLogistics

Online Mr D

« Reply #121 on: April 13, 2020, 10:26:21 pm »
Not sure how easy it will work logistically but instead of having a page with ads why not have some tshirts made, buy a tshirt and get access to the routes?
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible. T. E. Lawrence

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
« Reply #122 on: April 14, 2020, 04:18:46 am »
I will give some alternative a bit later.   :thumleft:
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L - Sold,   Honda CRF250Rally back in the stable,   BMW K1200LT.

Offline BuRP

« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2020, 07:37:45 am »
I love this whole idea - and the logo/sticker  :thumleft:
Financing the website's upkeep should be easy enough, indeed good suggestions all over!
Putting it together is the crux of course, and I'm glad to see that some are doing it: thank you Squires!!
About time something like this is done, would be awesome to look at offroad 'connections' between locations within SA.
I for one will be using it, and see this awesome piece of land we live in in more and more remote detail!
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020, KTM 890 Adv R Rally 2021

Offline Hennie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
  • I am a Christian Zionist
« Reply #124 on: April 14, 2020, 09:10:39 am »
The routes must absolutely be free. They are, afterall, on public roads mostly.  If a route crosses private land, it will be for the landowner to decide if he wishes to charge, in which case there should be an alternative, free, route.  Of course all other services should be user pays (accommodation, guiding, roadside assistance, catering, medical. equipment and bike rental etc).

Hi Dorsland, I was referring to my willingness to pay for the effort the guys put in to create such a route, not the cost of travelling on these routes.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 09:11:50 am by Hennie »
Science finds God behind every door they open, but they open those doors long after men and women of faith have been there and gone - Wendy Wippel

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Zionism/christianzionism.html

The following users thanked this post: Dorsland

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #125 on: April 14, 2020, 10:12:00 am »
Update route V1.0 almost complete, Need a link to join Gannaga and north of Lydenburg towards Musina.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

The following users thanked this post: lukestrugnell

Offline Serfie

« Reply #126 on: April 14, 2020, 11:31:02 am »
sub  :sip:
“So much of life can never be explained…it can only be witnessed and experienced…but above all...life just goes on…no matter what!!”

Previous bikes - 1980 XL125S: 1986 IT200: 1989 XT250:  1999 Africa Twin 750XLV: 2011 XR250 Tornado: 1999 XJR900 Diversion:  1996 Varadero XL1000V: 2007 Transalp 650 : 2015 Kawasaki Versys KLZ 1000
Currently - 2008 KLR650 / 2008 DR650 / 2015 SYM CROX 125 /  2014 BMW F700GS

Offline FIXER

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Om te MEET is om te WEET.
« Reply #127 on: April 14, 2020, 06:11:08 pm »
Julle is met iets pragtigs besig. Baie dankie vir almal wat so lekker saam werk hieraan.  Ek het naby Lydenburg groot geword en later daar geboer, maar dit is meer as twintig jaar terug wat ek daar rondgery het. Ek het iemand gekontak wat nog daar woon en gereeld op die soort paaie ry waarna jy soek. Hy sal kan help en sal julle kontak.

Weereens baie geluk en groot dankie.
Honda CB50, Yamaha 175DT, Honda 125XL, Yamaha XT250, BMW R80RT, R100RT, R80 G/S,  Hp2 (Eina!)  R1200 GS, Vespa GTS, Honda AT, R100 GS PD, Lambretta 150dl   (Geskiedenis)                             
 Ural Sidecar, Moto Guzzi Stelvio, Vespa P200E.

Offline sidetrack

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #128 on: April 14, 2020, 07:01:53 pm »
Help a Vaalie out, need to get from Wellington to Caledon. The track comes down from the Cederberg (Towards CPT) and needs to join Towards Agulhas 2. Getting into plenty of farmlands and small towns now so some dirt may end up at a gate or dead end. Looking at dirt roads to link the towns but if not possible scenic tar back road will be great as well.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline sidetrack

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #129 on: April 14, 2020, 07:21:07 pm »
 8)
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Boersoeknbike

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • 2 Learn - 2 Help - 2 Xplore
« Reply #130 on: April 14, 2020, 07:23:32 pm »
Fixer put me on your post. I’ll help where i can and add to nonekings trails. I’ll pm you my email. Great idea!
2 Learn - 2 Help - 2 Xplore

Offline sidetrack

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #131 on: April 14, 2020, 07:24:44 pm »
Fixer put me on your post. I’ll help where i can and add to nonekings trails. I’ll pm you my email. Great idea!
:thumleft:
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline FIXER

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Om te MEET is om te WEET.
« Reply #132 on: April 14, 2020, 08:31:52 pm »
Ok, now maybe I can help. I now live near Wellington and one can easily do 8 very nice passes in one round trip, but on tar. Gravel only for very short stints and the beauty in this region is very much the scenery, which one tends to enjoy more on a tar section. That is what I would suggest.

I will send you an email.
Honda CB50, Yamaha 175DT, Honda 125XL, Yamaha XT250, BMW R80RT, R100RT, R80 G/S,  Hp2 (Eina!)  R1200 GS, Vespa GTS, Honda AT, R100 GS PD, Lambretta 150dl   (Geskiedenis)                             
 Ural Sidecar, Moto Guzzi Stelvio, Vespa P200E.

Offline sidetrack

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #133 on: April 14, 2020, 09:24:08 pm »
Thanks replied to PM's
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Minxy

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • óÔÔò >^.^< óÔÔò
« Reply #134 on: April 15, 2020, 10:10:30 am »
This sounds like a nice initiative :)

Just a quick question, I am not very familiar with the TAT route, but I know the Trans Euro is quite a tough route in places (with detour available if you are not up for the challenge).

Just how technical do you want this to be? Do you want the route to be "beginner on a 1200GS" kinda friendly :P or do you want to include some actual fun stuff? ;)

Just for reference if we are talking a route similar to the TET this applies:

From their website:

"The Trans Euro Trail® is aimed at small and medium capacity trail bikes – bikes such as Yamaha’s WR250R and XT600 and XT660Z Tenere, CCM’s GP450, KTM’s 690 and Suzuki’s DRZ400. Larger bikes can tackle it but riders need to be more experienced and competent. Soft luggage, travelling light is the ethos – leave those panniers and armchairs at home. This is overlanding in its purest form."

*              ★·.·´¯`·.·★   "I'm in love with a strict machine"  ★·.·´¯`·.·★               *
www.facebook.com/barbara.muszynski/ Hit follow!
Current: KTM 950SE, Husqvarna 701, KTM 500, Honda LS 125 Previous: Honda Africa Twin CRF 1000 DCT, KTM 950 SE, KTM 950 Adv, Aprilia 650 Pegaso Trail, BMW G450X, Husqvarna 350FE, KTM 690RFR
Ride Reports:
Xmas Xtreme - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=233018.0 Hearts in the Desert -  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241236.0

Offline XT JOE

« Reply #135 on: April 15, 2020, 11:22:15 am »

This sounds like a nice initiative :)

Just a quick question, I am not very familiar with the TAT route, but I know the Trans Euro is quite a tough route in places (with detour available if you are not up for the challenge).
The TAT is for all sizes of bikes and my thoughts for this is for all sizes of bikes and a medium experience level, not some of those tight TET single tracks although ive seen the 1200 guys also climb in

Just how technical do you want this to be? Do you want the route to be "beginner on a 1200GS" kinda friendly :P or do you want to include some actual fun stuff? ;)
If you can do Baviaans that will be sufficient- can i call that medium :)

Just for reference if we are talking a route similar to the TET this applies:

From their website:

"The Trans Euro Trail® is aimed at small and medium capacity trail bikes – bikes such as Yamaha’s WR250R and XT600 and XT660Z Tenere, CCM’s GP450, KTM’s 690 and Suzuki’s DRZ400. Larger bikes can tackle it but riders need to be more experienced and competent. Soft luggage, travelling light is the ethos – leave those panniers and armchairs at home. This is overlanding in its purest form."
Very good thought to set this up as well for but i imagine making it smaller like a one week ride from CT to Baviaans and back or  a long weekend to Cederberg and across to klein karoo and  back to CT .Now we need permission from WD farmers or their cousins to set up- give it some thought. We can also ask Warren Ellwood and his team for thoughts- he is a late bloomer now in his 50's :) starting to ride plastics only- plenty of experience.

When life gets to hard to stand. kneel

Offline sidetrack

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #136 on: April 15, 2020, 11:38:30 am »
The most difficult part on the TSAT will most likely be Orrie Baragwanath pass / Baviaans so not difficult. I think a route with longer open section will be more accessible to most riders and visitors. There are plenty of more technical riding available but as someone mentioned one can maybe make this a separate route, my only concern their is some tracks may be semi private / tribal land based and arrangement with land owners will need to be made. It will be a lot more difficult to plot and keep updated whereas the TSAT stays on S and R roads mostly but always with the idea that is should be dirt as far as possible. Way to explore SA but on the back roads.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Jobe

• Puppy
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #137 on: April 15, 2020, 12:59:50 pm »
When this thread started (Long ago), me and some friends decided it might be fun, I started a MAP of an idea, turns out very similar to what you guys made.
Maybe this help.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1i0dyB1KgM0UPP_CkislED2fS7Pem8plA&usp=sharing

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #138 on: April 15, 2020, 01:12:15 pm »
The most difficult part on the TSAT will most likely be Orrie Baragwanath pass / Baviaans so not difficult. I think a route with longer open section will be more accessible to most riders and visitors. There are plenty of more technical riding available but as someone mentioned one can maybe make this a separate route, my only concern their is some tracks may be semi private / tribal land based and arrangement with land owners will need to be made. It will be a lot more difficult to plot and keep updated whereas the TSAT stays on S and R roads mostly but always with the idea that is should be dirt as far as possible. Way to explore SA but on the back roads.

I like your thinking. Perhaps establish a dirt touring route as a core, then more adventurous loops/extensions/add-ons for those who need a bit of adrenaline fix?
Ek sal laaik van n prentjie hier sit, maar is te f0kken onnosel...

Offline Dorsland

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #139 on: April 15, 2020, 01:44:29 pm »
I see there are 2 threads covering this subject, should we not merge them?
Truth is treason in the empire of lies

Tom Luongo