Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TSAT (Trans South Africa Trail)  (Read 21307 times)

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
Re: TSAT (Trans South Africa Trail)
« Reply #300 on: August 07, 2020, 10:55:25 am »
I have made the 1st post the one where updates are made to the route
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 03:05:54 pm by sidetrack »
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #301 on: August 07, 2020, 10:57:13 am »
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 03:06:07 pm by sidetrack »
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #302 on: August 07, 2020, 11:07:13 am »
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 11:08:11 am by sidetrack »
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #303 on: August 07, 2020, 11:10:03 am »
Also the idea of the TSAT is to have the most scenic enjoyable riding on roads open to the general public. We can have a look at a more technical challenging one at a later stage but I think as per above will appeal to most people and visitors.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #304 on: August 11, 2020, 10:52:40 am »
Input please, two options for the Eastern Cape section. Red option quite remote and a longer ride, no options yet for a sleepover. Approaches Hogsback from the South and offers more scenic and technical riding. Blue to the left will run through Queenstown and Cathcart, you will enter Hogsback from the north. Thoughts ?

@Vis Arend if you don't mind looking at these two options ? I know option 1 is the route you submitted, the other one allows for more towns to be visited but not sure what the riding is like. Option 1 is tough to find accommodation and is quite a stretch from Rhodes to Hogsback. Tracks attached below
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 02:00:48 pm by sidetrack »
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Gee S

• Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #305 on: August 11, 2020, 03:19:14 pm »
Very good suggestion @Bloggs, and not detracting in the least from the TSAT. You make good points in terms of tourism being the lifeblood of many small towns. I would like to add guest farms to that as many farmers also rely heavily on tourism to boost revenues. They can also offer a unique experience and input for especially foreign tourists.

I would also like to see a possible alternative route around the north western and/or central part of the country that typically is neglected to a large extent. Towns that could be included (some not that small) are Vanzylsrus, Kuruman, Upington, Keimoes, Pofadder, Pella, Carnarvon, Vanrhynsdorp, Ceres etc. Maybe an interlinking route between your suggestion and my proposed route could be included.

Just a few things to think about.
Great Idea Dorsland. I would add Bray to this route
All that wander are not lost

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #306 on: August 11, 2020, 05:07:25 pm »
Input please, two options for the Eastern Cape section. Red option quite remote and a longer ride, no options yet for a sleepover. Approaches Hogsback from the South and offers more scenic and technical riding. Blue to the left will run through Queenstown and Cathcart, you will enter Hogsback from the north. Thoughts ?

@Vis Arend if you don't mind looking at these two options ? I know option 1 is the route you submitted, the other one allows for more towns to be visited but not sure what the riding is like. Option 1 is tough to find accommodation and is quite a stretch from Rhodes to Hogsback. Tracks attached below

I did Hogsback to Rhodes in one day, quite easily with heavy loaded bike and pillion (i.e. not going very fast!  ;D). So not a must to take two days. Just remember that there is no petrol station in Rhodes! So the TSAT must draw attention to this, otherwise overseas visitors may easily get stuck. Rhodeans have helped out bikers in the past, but may feel a bit taken for granted if a whole bunch of bikers start arriving without fuel. (Of course, it could open a business opportunity for a quick-witted resident...)

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #307 on: August 11, 2020, 05:26:28 pm »

I did Hogsback to Rhodes in one day, quite easily with heavy loaded bike and pillion (i.e. not going very fast!  ;D). So not a must to take two days. Just remember that there is no petrol station in Rhodes! So the TSAT must draw attention to this, otherwise overseas visitors may easily get stuck. Rhodeans have helped out bikers in the past, but may feel a bit taken for granted if a whole bunch of bikers start arriving without fuel. (Of course, it could open a business opportunity for a quick-witted resident...)
Hi did you follow the same route ? I think the pass south of Hogsback alone is going to keep one busy quite some time. It’s over 700km all dirt. See the planning a ride post, two options there

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=250295.msg4503236#msg4503236
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 04:21:04 pm by sidetrack »
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #308 on: August 11, 2020, 05:31:37 pm »

Petrol is available in Rhodes.

Not a formal fuel station, but a local resident has a sideline business supplying fuel at a small mark-up. he seems to keep quite a bit of fuel in stock, so no need to pre-order.

How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #309 on: August 11, 2020, 05:33:07 pm »

Petrol is available in Rhodes.

Not a formal fuel station, but a local resident has a sideline business supplying fuel at a small mark-up. he seems to keep quite a bit of fuel in stock, so no need to pre-order.
Good to know  :thumleft:
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #310 on: August 11, 2020, 05:33:41 pm »
Things are coming together nicely
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline bud500

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #311 on: August 12, 2020, 10:38:32 am »
Topics merged
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #312 on: August 12, 2020, 11:17:43 am »
Thanks
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #313 on: August 12, 2020, 02:09:40 pm »

It's 724km from Rhodes to Hogback on the TSAT, shorter if one cuts out entering Hogsback from the south on the rough pass but I think it needs to be part of the adventure. Need a place in between to camp / stay over.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #314 on: August 12, 2020, 02:13:51 pm »
Anyone know the small town of Ida Eastern Cape ? Would be the right place on the route to stay over but cant find any info on it.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #315 on: August 12, 2020, 02:47:51 pm »
The other option is Elliot
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #316 on: August 12, 2020, 03:06:36 pm »
1st post is where all the updates will be made to the route
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline SchalkL

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #317 on: August 12, 2020, 03:34:24 pm »
Ek is nie seker wat die intensie van die pad behoort te wees nie maar daai stukkie van Patensie na Steytler is frikken hairy. Kanse vir omval op klippe met 1000+ Adv bike is 90%  (of ek ry net kak  :xxbah: )
Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #318 on: August 12, 2020, 04:18:35 pm »
Ek is nie seker wat die intensie van die pad behoort te wees nie maar daai stukkie van Patensie na Steytler is frikken hairy. Kanse vir omval op klippe met 1000+ Adv bike is 90%  (of ek ry net kak  :xxbah: )
Schalk last time I did that route was many years ago on a DRZ400 and my friends were on 650 singles. It was not tough on those bikes at least but things may also have changed. Make an alternative suggestion and we keep that one as a technical option ? It was quite scenic from what I remember  :thumleft:
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline SchalkL

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #319 on: August 12, 2020, 08:34:49 pm »
Schalk last time I did that route was many years ago on a DRZ400 and my friends were on 650 singles. It was not tough on those bikes at least but things may also have changed. Make an alternative suggestion and we keep that one as a technical option ? It was quite scenic from what I remember  :thumleft:
IT is very scenic yes, did it about 3 months ago in a 4x4 and its ok for a 650 but bigger you will have to know your stuff. Problem for me is not the falling over but if solo and break a leg or something you in big shit. Definitely better fm Patensie to Sville though, going down the rocky side instead of up. 
Alternative is 40km further but very nice fast flat gravel for a big bike.
Attached.
Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans