Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: April Tankwa Qualifier 2020?  (Read 2124 times)

Offline Offroad2

April Tankwa Qualifier 2020?
« on: October 08, 2019, 03:16:16 pm »
Potential Tankwa Qualifier 2020 ?

Ok so I have been researching a little, it seems some potential riders are nervous to try out GPS navigation and wondering how difficult it is. Simply it is not difficult?
We are thinking of a Tankwa qualifier event using some routes around Tankwa HQ area.
   Purpose to encourage competitors to try GPS or Road book.
   Get a feel of terrain and format.
   Understand cross country events & rules.
   Tips on what you need
   Briefing & racing on Sat & Sunday (morning).
Junior Tankwa
   Have a Junior Tankwa on the Sat.
   Routes will be marked like off-road but some GPS too we need to start teaching juniors.
   Some technical riding
Provisional Date  First weekend April 2020
Would you support this weekend?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 12:23:51 pm by Offroad2 »
No Road like Off-Road

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
Re: Potential Tankwa Qualifier 2020?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 03:43:22 pm »
I would love to do an event like this, apart from the usual financial & distance challenges...!!
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 04:28:45 pm »
Does this mean you will have to qualify to enter the Tankwa?
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Monkey#13

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 05:37:03 pm »
Definitely interested. I for one would be very nervous to just enter an event like Tankwa with no racing experience.
KLR for work,
CRF for play!

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 05:56:15 pm »
Yes because you will know what you in for - not that difficult if you come prepared - it will also help you choose correct class Silver did 670km over three days (it was perfect).
No Road like Off-Road

The following users thanked this post: BlueBull2007

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 06:08:30 pm »
Definitely interested. I for one would be very nervous to just enter an event like Tankwa with no racing experience.
This is your chance to experience a piece of T + we will have some experienced guys to help out on the weekend ie coach people into what they need and show them etc....everything from technical equipment  to riding if needed. If there is enough interest it is on!  Fees will be moderate at approx. normal club race ( I don't know yet but need to cover a medical team too) We will also make sure the weekend is worthwhile.

Always welcome to call me 0829001334 (Clive)
No Road like Off-Road

The following users thanked this post: Monkey#13

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 06:11:00 pm »
Yes because you will know what you in for - not that difficult if you come prepared - it will also help you choose correct class Silver did 670km over three days (it was perfect).
meaning yes this would qualify your entry - sorry I was not clear
No Road like Off-Road

Offline Buff

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 06:14:04 pm »
Any excuse to get there again  ;D I'm more than willing to help out as well if needed Clive  :thumleft: A weekend with less serious racing will give us all time to socialize a bit more and enjoy some of that Pittekou  ;) ;D
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 06:15:08 pm by Buff »
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 06:21:36 pm »

+1.
Would also be great to put faces to some weird usernames!

Just please don't make this over a long weekend? There isnt many of them and with small children my wife won't be amused to spend one alone.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Ri

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 06:35:03 pm »
Would love to help out as well, as well as a chance to ride some of those areas. :thumleft:

My bikes are either too big or too small for this event, and I'm not really that keen to fork out for a GPS which I won't use otherwise.

Offline WNaude

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 08:41:06 pm »
Oh absolutely.

Had to pull out from this year's Tankwa at the last minute.

Staying in Gauteng even I will make the effort to attend this.

Watching the space...
I don't ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days!

1982 R100RS, 1980 XR250, 1982 XR500R,

Online Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 09:10:26 pm »
Ek trek ook maar my stoep nader.
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2019, 08:54:56 am »
Provisional date 4-5 April 2020
Format TBA but it will be a just like Tankwa main it will be a proper race just with less distance but with GPS therefore a Qualifier.

No Road like Off-Road

The following users thanked this post: m0lt3n

Offline Buff

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 09:07:45 am »
Clive, will there be other Tankwa qualifiers that count for those further North or East who cannot afford to come down to the Cape twice in the year?
I'm assuming a previous Tankwa finish will obviously qualify you and maybe a RoA finish? There's a few other rides that utilize GPS's you could possibly include like Sea2Sky or Mata2Pont etc.

You don't want to exclude riders based on budget constraints... just thinking out loud  :)

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2019, 09:12:59 am »
Provisional date 4-5 April 2020
Format TBA but it will be a just like Tankwa main it will be a proper race just with less distance but with GPS therefore a Qualifier.

awesomeness.
Its going to be a busy April, I like it
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2019, 09:17:36 am »
Hi Brett,
2020 competitors will need to convince the committee they are capable ie raced somewhere before or a suitable CV (they would not necessary need to do T qualifier). We cannot throw them completely in the deep even our marshals would need to competent and know GPS etc...
We need to consider distances, temperatures that can get extreme either way etc...
No Road like Off-Road

Offline Buff

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2019, 09:34:58 am »
Hi Brett,
2020 competitors will need to convince the committee they are capable ie raced somewhere before or a suitable CV (they would not necessary need to do T qualifier). We cannot throw them completely in the deep even our marshals would need to competent and know GPS etc...
We need to consider distances, temperatures that can get extreme either way etc...

Awesomeness  :thumleft:

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2019, 09:59:28 am »

+1.

Just please don't make this over a long weekend? There isnt many of them and with small children my wife won't be amused to spend one alone.

Its a 6 or 7 hour drive there and a 6 or 7 hour drive back from CT.. I cant anticipate many people going all that way for one afternoon riding. If its not going to be held over a long weekend then guys will most probably have to take the Fri and Monday off to create a long weekend, well im assuming that will be the case. you had better  start buttering up the wife for some time off  :pot: hope to see you there. :thumleft:

I'm always around if you need help planning the rally side Clive.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 10:03:36 am by Fuzzy Muzzy »
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2019, 11:07:22 am »

+1.

Its a 6 or 7 hour drive there and a 6 or 7 hour drive back from CT.. I cant anticipate many people going all that way for one afternoon riding. If its not going to be held over a long weekend then guys will most probably have to take the Fri and Monday off to create a long weekend, well im assuming that will be the case. you had better  start buttering up the wife for some time off  :pot: hope to see you there. :thumleft:

I'm always around if you need help planning the rally side Clive.
Arrive Friday afternoon - Evening briefing, GPS explanation / functions & need to know tips, full day Sat & half day Sun
There are not many dates available in the motorsport calendar - already requested provisional date 4-5 April.
No Road like Off-Road

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2019, 12:30:23 pm »
It seems to be a fun weekend.  I just need to get one of those magnifying things to fit over a GPS.  My arms are not long enough to hold the bars and read an eTrex10 at the same time...