Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: April Tankwa Qualifier 2020?  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
Re: Potential Tankwa Qualifier 2020?
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2019, 01:03:04 pm »
Dunno what you'll get on Tankwa but I've found following a single line with non-tinted goggles fairly easy, just get rid of the garbage maps and make the line black. The danger markings, etc are a bit iffy. Gonna have to find a workaround. Adventure helmet with bicycle riders glasses works well but then you got dust issues again............

check out Tyleroptix for riding glasses.

Lemme know when you've got a tried and tested solution, Bill. I'm going blind as well ................  8)

Glad to hear a CV will work, I'm not keen on driving around looking for a qualifying race.

An unrelated question, offroad2, but you might as well let us know. All those over 53 riders (me) will need to do a new stress-ecg next year for an MSA license. Will we need to do this if we enter Tankwa on a one-off event license type thing? I doubt I'll be doing the GXCCs next year.
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2019, 01:41:15 pm »

An unrelated question, offroad2, but you might as well let us know. All those over 53 riders (me) will need to do a new stress-ecg next year for an MSA license. Will we need to do this if we enter Tankwa on a one-off event license type thing? I doubt I'll be doing the GXCCs next year.
[/quote]
MSA require a stress - ecg for ages 50 and older renewable ever three years
No Road like Off-Road

Offline Buff

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2019, 01:49:12 pm »
Interesting to hear. I took out a 1 event license for the event this year and at 52 it wasn't requested from me. I did however need to explain my chronic medication before they would issue it.
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Roverman

• Bike: BMW R850GS
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2019, 01:58:20 pm »
Count me in. I know at least 10-15 guys that would be interested.

Offline Ri

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2019, 02:12:53 pm »
Hi Brett,
2020 competitors will need to convince the committee they are capable ie raced somewhere before or a suitable CV (they would not necessary need to do T qualifier). We cannot throw them completely in the deep even our marshals would need to competent and know GPS etc...
We need to consider distances, temperatures that can get extreme either way etc...

Eish looks like I'll have to get the GPS and do the training. I would very much like to help with the routes and stuff and eventually maybe become a marshal. Do marshals need to do the ECG thing? :P

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2019, 02:20:07 pm »
Dunno what you'll get on Tankwa but I've found following a single line with non-tinted goggles fairly easy, just get rid of the garbage maps and make the line black. The danger markings, etc are a bit iffy. Gonna have to find a workaround. Adventure helmet with bicycle riders glasses works well but then you got dust issues again............

check out Tyleroptix for riding glasses.

Lemme know when you've got a tried and tested solution, Bill. I'm going blind as well ................  8)

Glad to hear a CV will work, I'm not keen on driving around looking for a qualifying race.

I ride with glasses , basically what I did was when i upgraded my glasses I changed my lenses in my old glasses to bi focal instead of the expensive all in one tri focal that i currently use.  Then you have to do a few tests on what combination works.. oddly enough my combination taht works is the Arioh helmet with Spirit goggles.. no dust issues but in tight, slow stuff then they tend to fog up
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline WNaude

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2019, 02:24:52 pm »
Definitely interested. I for one would be very nervous to just enter an event like Tankwa with no racing experience.

+1.
Would also be great to put faces to some weird usernames!

Just please don't make this over a long weekend? There isnt many of them and with small children my wife won't be amused to spend one alone.

Its a 6 or 7 hour drive there and a 6 or 7 hour drive back from CT.. I cant anticipate many people going all that way for one afternoon riding. If its not going to be held over a long weekend then guys will most probably have to take the Fri and Monday off to create a long weekend, well im assuming that will be the case. you had better  start buttering up the wife for some time off  :pot: hope to see you there. :thumleft:

I'm always around if you need help planning the rally side Clive.
Arrive Friday afternoon - Evening briefing, GPS explanation / functions & need to know tips, full day Sat & half day Sun
There are not many dates available in the motorsport calendar - already requested provisional date 4-5 April.

Coming from Pretoria I will have to leave on Thursday morning, sleeping over about halfway then try to make it in time for the briefing Friday afternoon. Same thing Sunday, leaving after we finished, sleep over then only back on Monday afternoon. Unless there is a few guys from Pretoria travelling together willing to drive through in one day. @sidetrack

Going to be quite a stretch but sure it will be worth it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 02:28:15 pm by WNaude »
I don't ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days!

1982 R100RS, 1980 XR250, 1982 XR500R,

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2019, 02:31:42 pm »
Interesting to hear. I took out a 1 event license for the event this year and at 52 it wasn't requested from me. I did however need to explain my chronic medication before they would issue it.
Admin should have picked it up - even on a one event license unless you had one from 2017 (every three years)
No Road like Off-Road

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2019, 02:32:26 pm »
Definitely interested. I for one would be very nervous to just enter an event like Tankwa with no racing experience.

+1.

Just please don't make this over a long weekend? There isnt many of them and with small children my wife won't be amused to spend one alone.

Its a 6 or 7 hour drive there and a 6 or 7 hour drive back from CT.. I cant anticipate many people going all that way for one afternoon riding. If its not going to be held over a long weekend then guys will most probably have to take the Fri and Monday off to create a long weekend, well im assuming that will be the case. you had better  start buttering up the wife for some time off  :pot: hope to see you there. :thumleft:

Arrive Friday afternoon - Evening briefing, GPS explanation / functions & need to know tips, full day Sat & half day Sun
There are not many dates available in the motorsport calendar - already requested provisional date 4-5 April.

Coming from Pretoria I will have to leave on Thursday morning, sleeping over about halfway then try to make it in time for the briefing Friday afternoon. Same thing Sunday, leaving after we finished, sleep over then only back on Monday afternoon. Unless there is a few guys from Pretoria travelling together willing to drive through in one day. @sidetrack

are you walking?
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline WNaude

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2019, 02:49:54 pm »

+1.

are you walking?

Well if my memory serves me right Tankwa hq is more than a 1000km from Pta.

To drive that and make it in time for the race briefing in one day will be nearly impossible, then doing some offroading the next day as well. Same story for Sunday.

But maybe at my age I should be able to do this... :ricky:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 02:51:23 pm by WNaude »
I don't ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days!

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2019, 02:53:01 pm »
hehe had to pull your leg WNaude. I like driving so not to concerned with that, get up at 4am and you are there at 6p, guess it also depends on what you drive, I would be making your comment if I was going in a 2.5 Isuzu!

The roads in that area is long open flat and smooth
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline WNaude

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2019, 03:07:57 pm »
hehe had to pull your leg WNaude. I like driving so not to concerned with that, get up at 4am and you are there at 6p, guess it also depends on what you drive, I would be making your comment if I was going in a 2.5 Isuzu!

The roads in that area is long open flat and smooth

Haha no worries m0lt3n. I hear you.

Suppose it is doable, but not wih my wife in the car. Hoping some fellow dogs in Pta will be keen on this.

Question for Clive, @Offroad2

Maybe a stupid question, is a one event licence necessary for this qualifier session?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 03:10:24 pm by WNaude »

Offline Buff

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2019, 03:30:37 pm »
Yes, the qualifier will require a license as well, it'll also be an MSA registered event.

Offline WNaude

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2019, 03:39:09 pm »
Yes, the qualifier will require a license as well, it'll also be an MSA registered event.

Thanks Buff...

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2019, 03:40:08 pm »

Correct - a MSA club license if riding both or one event for a single event
No Road like Off-Road

Offline WNaude

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2019, 03:52:34 pm »

Correct - a MSA club license if riding both or one event for a single event

Thanks guys

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2019, 04:33:12 pm »
Admin should have picked it up - even on a one event license unless you had one from 2017 (every three years)

Go do one, Buff, it's fun .................  :imaposer: :imaposer:

And my 3 years is up in December. I gotta do another one if I want another license.  :'(

Jokes aside, I think it's a good idea. Never mind what the doc thinks, It tells ME that I'm fit enough to do stuff. The last thing I ever want is to be rescued for a heart attack or heat stroke ............................ embarassing  :peepwall:
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Buff

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2019, 04:45:49 pm »

Go do one, Buff, it's fun .................  :imaposer: :imaposer:

Let me guess, as fun as a prostrate checkup  :o ;D

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2019, 05:22:53 pm »
haha - you guys need to train for a stress - ecg ....  or come help me set tracks it also helps. Don't worry I have to mine too its nothing @ 57
No Road like Off-Road

Offline Striggs

• Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2019, 04:08:22 pm »
I still this still happening, pulled out my year planner...
need to get my ducks in a row..
I am itching to get back on the bike...
GSA 1250, Vespa 300 6 Day, KTM 250 TPi, Vespa 946, KTM 790 Rally, BMW R9T Scrambler