Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Oil change and replacing filter....sub 500cc bikes  (Read 806 times)

Offline Slaaiblaar

Oil change and replacing filter....sub 500cc bikes
« on: October 13, 2019, 01:53:09 pm »
If you use your sub 500cc motorbike for adventure riding do you have to replace the oil filter every time you do an oil change or can you only replace the filter every second time what's the opinion on this more to do with a WR 450 and KTM 500 or the bikes in that class

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
Re: Oil change and replacing filter....sub 500cc bikes
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 04:32:37 pm »
Once the bike has about 25 hours on it, you can go  double time on a filter. KTMs have 2 screens and a magnetic drain bolt as well, can easily do 3 times the norm in a touring scenario.

The following users thanked this post: Slaaiblaar

Offline Splash

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 09:05:09 pm »
I always change the oil filter with an oil change. Like to see clean oil in the glass window. Do not see the benefit of going through the trouble of using very very expensive oil only to skimp on a filter. Even if the  filter is still fine, I just don't like all that old oil it contains remaining in the engine.
Have bike, will ride.

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 05:46:09 am »
I always change the oil filter with an oil change. Like to see clean oil in the glass window. Do not see the benefit of going through the trouble of using very very expensive oil only to skimp on a filter. Even if the  filter is still fine, I just don't like all that old oil it contains remaining in the engine.

I hear you ... but if you are touring on a 500 it's not always practical ... not just about carrying the small oil filter with you but the added complexity of changing the filter when you are in the middle of neverbeenthere. Very easy to change the oil - one drain bolt and let it run out

The filter contains maximum 50 ml of oil ...in a total capacity of 1,5 l = 0,03% of the total volume

I have and will comfortably do maximum 2000 km on my 500 on a touring ride between oil changes - bike is really not working hard

I do and will only use a synthetic oil in my 500 because it burns mineral oil - been there tried that

and I use 20W50 or 15W40 mineral car oil in my 950 that I change every 5000 km
The older I get the faster I was

The following users thanked this post: husky

Offline Slaaiblaar

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 07:31:35 am »
Changing the oil in my WR450 is quick and easy....but changing the filter is easy but time consuming. When my WR is in 5th and in top revs in hit the 160km/h mark. Normally only ride at 115km/h so I guess motor is not stressed at all. This is long dirt stretches.

Offline shark_za

• Old Boys Club
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • KTM 300
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 07:58:09 am »
When at home near your workshop run the oil at optimum levels, change the filter every time and let the motor wear in as best it can.
When on a trip keep the oil good by changing it as often as possible, dont have to always do the filter when its not practical.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 10:24:52 am »
I have a Honda CRF250x  which I ride a lot, and a 450X i'm building into a rally bike.

Everything that is maintenance related depends on weather you follow the manual or if you go by feel. Also how hard you ride.

For example, on my 250X, under race conditions you should replace the rings every 15 hours. um.. that is R1300 for a ring & gasket kit and if you cant do it yourself throw in between R1200 - R1500 for labour. Now go and show me one guy  who does that. Certainly not me. I just changed my rings after 2 years of riding the bike, sure, not under race conditions all the time but I don't hold back on the 250, same with my 450. My point is that there is what the manual says and then there is what we actually do.

So when it comes to oil and oil filters, the manual says change it every time so that is what you should do. I change oil on a regular basis, I would say every 10 hours, max 15 hours I drop the oil. Its easy and cheap. Oil cost for my bike is about R60. The oil filter costs R70 and takes about 40 seconds to change. I change filters every 2nd or 3rd oil change,I tend to buy 3 oil filters at a time and then if I happen to run out I just leave it until I buy again.

But bottom line is follow what the service manual says and you will get the life you need out of your motor, all within reason.You know how you ride your bike, if you taking it easy then you can get away with a lot more than if you pinning it.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 10:31:53 am »
Fuzzy you contradicted yourself about 3 times in that post   :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 10:33:59 am »
Well the contradiction comes between what I actually do and what the manual asks

In the end, do what your manual says and you will be spot on.. ignore the rest unless you know what you doing with your bike and how you ride.

Did I just contradict myself again  :imaposer:

The question asked what we do and not what he should do.. I get it now.  :laughing4:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 10:34:31 am by Fuzzy Muzzy »
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 10:44:12 am »
I change the oil (and filter) on my 450 every 4000km (riding in low-power mode, Adv bike riding).

I used to change oil every 2000km, but it was not necessary.

Bike motor serviced every 8000km (since run in low-power mode).

Cheers
Chris
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S3354.712 E01828.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 10:50:51 am »
Well the contradiction comes between what I actually do and what the manual asks

In the end, do what your manual says and you will be spot on.. ignore the rest unless you know what you doing with your bike and how you ride.

The question asked what we do and not what he should do.. I get it now.  :laughing4:

Just pulling your foot buddy, I get what you are saying   :thumleft:

My manual says change oil every 10 hours, but as far as I am concerned that is for Travis Teasedale pinning his bike for hours on end, not me idling down a trail with infrequent blasts over obstacles every now and then.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 11:23:42 am »

Just pulling your foot buddy, I get what you are saying   :thumleft:

My manual says change oil every 10 hours, but as far as I am concerned that is for Travis Teasedale pinning his bike for hours on end, not me idling down a trail with infrequent blasts over obstacles every now and then.

For sure.. it also really depends on the bike. My 450x is not going to make 2000km without an oil change, like some say on their bikes.. there is a reason why my bike has an hour meter and theirs have an odo. The big give away is the amount of oil the bike holds. My 250x for example is about 750ml of oil, not very much and hence the frequent changes.

You can always tell who does frequent changes by where they buy their oil. Midas for the win  :laughing4:

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 01:39:18 pm »

So when it comes to oil and oil filters, the manual says change it every time so that is what you should do. I change oil on a regular basis, I would say every 10 hours, max 15 hours I drop the oil. Its easy and cheap. Oil cost for my bike is about R60. The oil filter costs R70 and takes about 40 seconds to change. I change filters every 2nd or 3rd oil change,I tend to buy 3 oil filters at a time and then if I happen to run out I just leave it until I buy again.

Your bike takes little oil? Or do you use inexpensive oil? Or you have an uncle in the oil business? My china bike is about R85 (900ml) to change oil.
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 02:21:08 pm »

Your bike takes little oil? Or do you use inexpensive oil? Or you have an uncle in the oil business? My china bike is about R85 (900ml) to change oil.

My bike has 2 oil sumps, one takes approx 750ml for the sump and approx 250ml for the gearbox, I use Castrol Actevo which is about R75/L at Midas , so I use about R60 in oil as I don't change the gearbox side as often.

Im open to correction but the WR450 has under 1L of oil as well, probably around 900ml, I don't own one so not sure but even my 450x is only about 700ml which is changed every 15 hours.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 02:26:31 pm »

My bike has 2 oil sumps, one takes approx 750ml for the sump and approx 250ml for the gearbox, I use Castrol Actevo which is about R75/L at Midas , so I use about R60 in oil as I don't change the gearbox side as often.

Im open to correction but the WR450 has under 1L of oil as well, probably around 900ml, I don't own one so not sure but even my 450x is only about 700ml which is changed every 15 hours.
Actevo is now almost R100
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2019, 02:32:10 pm »

Actevo is now almost R100

Prices vary depending where you go.. Bike shops sell it at R100, Ive even seen them selling for R120 at bike shops. I bought 10L from Midas 2 weeks ago @ R75 ea  :thumleft:

Doesnt matter really, R75 - R120  considering how much money we burn in fuel riding bikes. How far can you ride on R100 fuel.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 02:35:04 pm by Fuzzy Muzzy »

Online katana

• One day when I grow up, I want to be a
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2019, 03:48:44 pm »
I do half interval oil changes without changing the filter half way.  I do inspect the drained oil and the sump plugs for metal each time though.  What is going to clog a filter on an engine that has been run in?
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline Slaaiblaar

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2019, 11:15:07 am »
Thanks all, although I don't think I will every do more than 2000km on the bike I think I'll start with fresh oil and filter and change oil at 1000km and filter and oil at 2000km

Offline BuRP

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2019, 12:43:21 pm »
you are in the middle of neverbeenthere. Very easy to change the oil - one drain bolt and let it run out

I hope you catch the old oil and dispose of it properly?
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2019, 01:42:12 pm »
Mineral oil comes from the earth, right?

Earth to earth.  ;) >:D