Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Oil change and replacing filter....sub 500cc bikes  (Read 807 times)

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
Re: Oil change and replacing filter....sub 500cc bikes
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2019, 08:20:17 pm »
you are in the middle of neverbeenthere. Very easy to change the oil - one drain bolt and let it run out

I hope you catch the old oil and dispose of it properly?

I hope he only travels in major centers.

Offline Sabre

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2019, 09:23:39 pm »
I do half interval oil changes without changing the filter half way.  I do inspect the drained oil and the sump plugs for metal each time though.  What is going to clog a filter on an engine that has been run in?
The reason we do oil changes, is to remove the residue of the by products of combustion, and the miniscule dust particles that slip through the air filter. The additives in the oil will hold these in suspension, and the oil filter will trap some of it
Looking at the size of oil filters (KLR in particular) they are so small, that I would not stretch them to 2 oil changes
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2019, 10:08:28 am »
I do half interval oil changes without changing the filter half way.  I do inspect the drained oil and the sump plugs for metal each time though.  What is going to clog a filter on an engine that has been run in?
The reason we do oil changes, is to remove the residue of the by products of combustion, and the miniscule dust particles that slip through the air filter. The additives in the oil will hold these in suspension, and the oil filter will trap some of it
Looking at the size of oil filters (KLR in particular) they are so small, that I would not stretch them to 2 oil changes

These miniscule dust particles that slip through the air filter:  how do they get in the oil? 

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2019, 10:31:37 am »

These miniscule dust particles that slip through the air filter:  how do they get in the oil?

Well if they not doing the correct maintenance schedule its going past those rings that haven't been changed either  :peepwall: :pot:

I think viscosity is probably more important than micro dust particles that have to make their way to oil like sperm trying to get out a condom.  :laughing4: :imaposer:
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2019, 11:28:45 am »
Those micro dust particles are slippery little fellows.

Of course, if they are that micro they would slip through the average 10 - 50 micron gaps in a paper oil filter as well.

I feel really sorry for those poor cars and bikes that did not get the benefit of an oil filter.

Online 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2019, 12:30:56 pm »

Of course, if they are that micro they would slip through the average 10 - 50 micron gaps in a paper oil filter as well.

I feel really sorry for those poor cars and bikes that did not get the benefit of an oil filter.

The old VW Beetles did quite well without any sort of oil filter, and the "rubbish" oil of 40 years ago. :pot:

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2019, 12:48:30 pm »

The old VW Beetles did quite well without any sort of oil filter, and the "rubbish" oil of 40 years ago. :pot:

Jip, ek was sarkasties, Danie

Offline Sabre

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2019, 10:24:46 am »

Many engines have their oil sump breathers connected to the air intake, down from the air filter
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2019, 10:40:13 am »

Many engines have their oil sump breathers connected to the air intake, down from the air filter

Yes, indeed.  A lot are vented to the atmosphere as well (dangling below the swing arm without a filter).  Now think carefully about the mechanisms involved:  does it suck or blow?

Offline BuRP

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2019, 02:13:18 pm »
does it suck or blow?

Bill jong, that's an entirely different question, reminiscent to the one involving hopefully a chick and hopefully no egg.
To answer you though I'd say don't take the wording too literal, trust an old fart please, and the pun is on purpose here.
 :P

But yeah, PCV's contribute to airfilter-passed fines entering the engine, either direct or indirect.
The modern systems having carbon filters in these connections are least affected whilst those total loss systems with a pipe breathing onto the ground most!
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered