Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2017 GS - vibration on back brake  (Read 447 times)

Offline AndreSwartKat

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
2017 GS - vibration on back brake
« on: October 15, 2019, 08:59:30 pm »
I'm new to the world of BMW and was hoping to get some advice, please

I'm buying a 2017 GS with very low mileage and the bike seems to be in perfect nick at a first glance, but during a test-ride there were a few things which caught my attention, but I've been told these are all normal characteristics of this bike - I'm hoping someone can advise:

1.  When applying the back brake (at lower speeds particularly) there's a definitive vibration on the brake pedal - almost similar to the high frequency vibration that one would feel on a car brake pedal when ABS kicks in -  I've been told this is normal and only a result of the KAROO 3 tyres..? I've asked for the pads to be replaced, but it made no difference and I can't see any obvious irregularity on the discs.

2.  At low speeds (40 - 80 km/h) there's a humming sound coming from the front of the bike - I've been told this is normal and only a result of the KAROO 3 tyres in conjunction with some sort of 'dyno-genreated' sound which is common to the GS..? Sounded like a made-up story to me.  The sound seems to dissipate as you increase speed (and wind-noise increases).

3.  At low speed (2nd gear, 40km/h) when closing the throttle there's a definitive vibration (almost like a grinding vibration generated by the engine) which one can feel in the footpegs - I've been told this is perfectly normal.

I don't know if I'm imagining things or just not used to normal characteristics of a different kind of engine/bike.

Any advice or comments would be much appreciated.

Offline Sommer Ek

Re: 2017 GS - vibration on back brake
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 12:56:02 am »

My 2cent.

Ek het nie baie Karoo3 onderdervinding nie.

no 1 My 2017 se remme is glad tot die ABS sy werk begin doen.  Dieselfde soos in 'n voertuig.
No 2 If you take a close look at the Karrop 3 you will find a whistle between every block on the tread. Every time that block touch the tar the whistle is activated.  Sound like a army Bedford "Botterkop" at 70km/h.
No 3 My fiets doen dit beslis nie.

Remember this is the RSA, what is normal for the one is not always normal for the other.

Maybe go to a Dealer and take a test ride on  another  bike with Annakee 3 or Tourance next tires and see for yourself. 

The following users thanked this post: AndreSwartKat

Offline Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 06:50:06 am »
Fit road tyres to the vibrating bike.  If it still vibrates, walk away.  If the vibration is gone, then the story wasn't made up.

For some reason knobbly tyres cause the LC to vibrate much more than the AC.  Speak to Fish Eagle.  His LC also vibrates when applying the rear brake.  Put a road tyre on, vibration gone!
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Offline detour

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 08:00:57 am »

I'm buying a 2017 GS with very low mileage and the bike seems to be in perfect nick at a first glance, but during a test-ride there were a few things which caught my attention, but I've been told these are all normal characteristics of this bike - I'm hoping someone can advise:

1.  When applying the back brake (at lower speeds particularly) there's a definitive vibration on the brake pedal - almost similar to the high frequency vibration that one would feel on a car brake pedal when ABS kicks in -  I've been told this is normal and only a result of the KAROO 3 tyres..? I've asked for the pads to be replaced, but it made no difference and I can't see any obvious irregularity on the discs.

2.  At low speeds (40 - 80 km/h) there's a humming sound coming from the front of the bike - I've been told this is normal and only a result of the KAROO 3 tyres in conjunction with some sort of 'dyno-genreated' sound which is common to the GS..? Sounded like a made-up story to me.  The sound seems to dissipate as you increase speed (and wind-noise increases).

3.  At low speed (2nd gear, 40km/h) when closing the throttle there's a definitive vibration (almost like a grinding vibration generated by the engine) which one can feel in the footpegs - I've been told this is perfectly normal.

I don't know if I'm imagining things or just not used to normal characteristics of a different kind of engine/bike.

IMO too subjective to say if it is normal or not. Is this bike in CT or up North?
BMW R1200GS Rallye, Husky 501, KTM 300

Offline AndreSwartKat

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 12:47:59 pm »
Thanks for all the comments, guys.

The bike is on its way to JHB  - I'll have it checked out by a technician at Bavarian in Centurion and get an expert (BMW) opinion hopefully.

Wish me luck.

A.

Offline Duke916

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 08:39:28 am »
Even with the standard Anakees you will get tyre noise being picked up by the screen and directed towards you. When riding slow like when approaching a red robot you will get a bit of a vibration from the driveshaft as it slows down, but it will disappear as soon as you speed up. The 17 model is the first one where most of the older model niggles have been sorted out. I do not think any faults will be found except for the low kilos on the bike  :ricky:
Then : RD50  550 Four  900F   CBX  CBX Prolink XL 500 XR 500  CR 450  MTX 200  916 BIP

Now :  1100RC  R100 RT    1098  RGV 250  KTM 495  R 1200GS ADV    KLR650

Offline Antois

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 10:43:37 am »
Agree limited vibration is normal with knobblies at low speed.

Offline AndreSwartKat

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 07:46:56 pm »
So as it turns out, I was just being paranoid about all the sounds and vibrations - after a thorough check at Bavarian on Saturday, I was told the bike is in tip-top condition and I shouldn't worry about a thing - these 'minor' vibrations are common characteristics of the 1200.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed with advice for a BMW newbie  ;)

A.

Offline ruanb

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 09:17:37 am »

Picking up on an oldish thread.... Sorry
I had the same vibration as on your no 3. I realised that when I am riding solo and the suspension is set on 2 helmets, the alignment of the shaft is slightly out and causes a vibration especially when slowing down and braking. I suppose it is because the bike did not have enough weight for the setting I had it on. I set it back to 1helmet and luggage and the vibration went away.

Current: 2018 R1200 GSA, 2017 KTM 500 EXC, 2009 Yamaha XT 660R
Past: Honda XR500R, YZ 250, Yamaha XT550, Z13,11hunnit Slingshot, Honda Blackbird and Ole faithful Honda CB1100F