Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM 950SE  (Read 2264 times)

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
Re: KTM 950SE
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2019, 01:49:44 pm »
According to MCSpecs - the HP2 has more power, is lighter and has more suspension travel than the SE.....  :o

BUT Now I need an SE as well!!!!

And an HP2.......

:biggrin:
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Grunder

• "bery bery serious...
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2019, 02:23:28 pm »
Limited number available in SA. Goeie ou vraag en aanbod. EKN 101

That, and it looks befok.

The ADV looks like a businessman in n suit.

The SE looks like it's going to jump in through your bedroom window and rape your girlfriend at knifepoint.

Not sure if this is an appropriate joke...
Muscles can't buy mad dog!

Offline Noneking

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2019, 05:08:07 pm »
According to MCSpecs - the HP2 has more power, is lighter and has more suspension travel than the SE.....  :o

And an HP2.......

Iím a HP2 fanboy, BUT.......

The quality of the travel on the HP2 is nowhere near that of the WP on the KTM.

The KTM may have less HP, but the way the v-twin delivers it is more aggressive than the  boxer motor on the HP2.

Would love to own both, but given a choice between the two Iíll take the HP2 every time
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2019, 02:23:12 pm »

And an HP2.......

Iím a HP2 fanboy, BUT.......

The quality of the travel on the HP2 is nowhere near that of the WP on the KTM.

The KTM may have less HP, but the way the v-twin delivers it is more aggressive than the  boxer motor on the HP2.

Would love to own both, but given a choice between the two Iíll take the HP2 every time

There you go then!

I want a HP2.....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Rickus

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2019, 10:21:46 am »
I've had both and I enjoy the Adv S more than the SE I had....my SE had 30l Safari tank though (which makes it front heavy in sand when full)
The rake angle on the SE makes it feel "nervous" at speed compared to the Adv S
The weight difference between the 2 disappears when the SE is fitted with the safari tank.
When taking long tours the Adv beats the SE hands down and I could not get better lap times around our rally track with the SE compared to my Adv S.
It comes down to the hype that's been created around the SE and the hooligan factor.....its a bike you buy with your heart!!!!
If you try to make sense of it then it means you have not properly been bitten by the SE bug  :ricky:

OMVAL EN OPTEL.....

The following users thanked this post: Pannas

Offline Herklaas

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2019, 12:37:20 pm »

The SE looks like it's going to jump in through your bedroom window and rape your girlfriend at knifepoint.

:sip: South African mindset.  :lamer:
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.

Offline Hondsekierie

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Away we go!!! Bikes: 690RFR, 950SE, 990Adv
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2019, 06:14:59 pm »
I've had both and I enjoy the Adv S more than the SE I had....my SE had 30l Safari tank though (which makes it front heavy in sand when full)
The weight difference between the 2 disappears when the SE is fitted with the safari tank.
When taking long tours the Adv beats the SE hands down and I could not get better lap times around our rally track with the SE compared to my Adv S.
It comes down to the hype that's been created around the SE and the hooligan factor.....its a bike you buy with your heart!!!!
If you try to make sense of it then it means you have not properly been bitten by the SE bug  :ricky:

Goed opgesom, ken paar manne wat die Adv bo die SE verkies vir juis daardie rede.  Dink die beperkte hoeveelheid van SE's maak die groot verskil in prys.  Mis vandag nog my HP maar verkies egter die SE  ;)

Wat betref die oorspronklike poster se vraag - iemand so kommin en wat in elke 2de comment vir mense 'fok jou' se soek eintlik nie n antwoord, net geselskap. 
ďThere is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep Sea, and music in its roar:
I love not Man the less, but Nature more"

Offline Noneking

KTM 950SE
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2019, 06:59:22 pm »
I

Wat betref die oorspronklike poster se vraag - iemand so kommin en wat in elke 2de comment vir mense 'fok jou' se soek eintlik nie n antwoord, net geselskap.

Ja nee regtig.....
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 09:30:13 pm by Noneking »
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2019, 08:14:04 pm »

Goed opgesom, ken paar manne wat die Adv bo die SE verkies vir juis daardie rede.  Dink die beperkte hoeveelheid van SE's maak die groot verskil in prys.  Mis vandag nog my HP maar verkies egter die SE  ;)

Ek glo die man bedoel dit so bietjie "tongue-in-cheek".

Hoop so, in elk geval. :eek7:

In 1988 bring Yamaha die TDR250 uit, n 2silinder, 2slag hoeverrigting enjin in n tipe adventure bike chassis. Exciting, wheelies for nothing, wild.

Die HP2 en die SE is selfs nog meer van dieselfde ding. :eek7:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 08:17:20 pm by 2StrokeDan »

The following users thanked this post: Pannas

Online Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2019, 09:24:18 pm »

:sip: South African mindset.  :lamer:

Sorry. I might have taken the analogy a bit too far.
Post amended
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

Offline monkeyboy

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2019, 12:08:29 pm »
Selfde met die HP2 Enduro
The conventional forks and 21" front wheel make the HP a massive departure from the GS, even before you factor in the weight saving. With a rear spring conversion and HPN tank, mine is still significantly lighter than a GS, and easier to ride in sand and serious stuff: it's more like a big plastic than a light adventure bike. I should imagine the difference between an ADV and an SE is less marked, but still significant.
"Wait, we need a plan of attack!"
"I have a plan. Attack."

Offline BuRP

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2019, 12:40:50 pm »
The conventional forks and 21" front wheel make the HP a massive departure from the GS

I agree but would go as far in saying that the normal forks take care of the biggest part of that massive, one fi-nal-ly gets some feedback as to what the front is actually doing!

It would have been logical that MBW, after having experienced all these benefits for themselves, would have changed their boxer GS range, but no, they seem not to be too logical....  ???
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

Offline Leo

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2019, 04:02:39 pm »
I had the privilege to ride both the HP2 and SE in the sand around the Bilene area.

The SE has got massive power but no (little) torque.

The HP has enough of both. Riding the HP off the wet sand and onto the dunes was a breeze - keeping the bike pinned in 3'rd it would climb those high red dunes like it was tarmac.

The SE one had to gear down to 1'st to get through the soft sand above the high water mark, maybe I should have taken a longer run up, but was following my tracks from the HP.

However, I love the look of the SE. When you start it, that engine (with the right pipes) sounds  like it's got a sense of urgency.   :ricky:

I was damn close to buying an SE now, but an HP2 Mega Moto crossed my path.  ;)

My next purchase will probably be a SE unless I can find a nice HP2 Sport   :thumleft:
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline Bram

• Bike: Beta (all models)
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2019, 10:49:22 pm »
I had the privilege to ride both the HP2 and SE in the sand around the Bilene area.

The HP has enough of both. Riding the HP off the wet sand and onto the dunes was a breeze - keeping the bike pinned in 3'rd it would climb those high red dunes like it was tarmac.

The SE one had to gear down to 1'st to get through the soft sand above the high water mark, maybe I should have taken a longer run up, but was following my tracks from the HP.

However, I love the look of the SE. When you start it, that engine (with the right pipes) sounds  like it's got a sense of urgency.   :ricky:

My next purchase will probably be a SE unless I can find a nice HP2 Sport   :thumleft:

Were there any mods done to the air box of the se. mods like the Rottweiler conversion ruins the low down torque but opens it up for speed

Offline Rickus

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2019, 09:19:53 am »

Were there any mods done to the air box of the se. mods like the Rottweiler conversion ruins the low down torque but opens it up for speed

16 x 45 sprocket change should sort any low down torque issues

OMVAL EN OPTEL.....

Offline Leo

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2019, 04:18:49 pm »

Sorry, can't say, not my bike. The owner just asked me to take it up the dunes as he couldn't get off the beach. ;)

Offline Hondsekierie

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Away we go!!! Bikes: 690RFR, 950SE, 990Adv
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2019, 08:30:16 pm »

Sorry, can't say, not my bike. The owner just asked me to take it up the dunes as he couldn't get off the beach. ;)

@Leo  Jy praat lekker tjol, daai SE's hardloop daardie duin soos niks uit.  My gf het dit eerste keer gedoen en hom met gemak uitgery  (bewys aangeheg).  Nie een SE het gesukkel, inteendeel, hulle het die kak uit al die ander bikes gery  :imaposer:

« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 08:31:58 pm by Hondsekierie »
ďThere is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep Sea, and music in its roar:
I love not Man the less, but Nature more"

Online Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2019, 09:03:22 pm »
Janee. n 950 vreet sandduine vir brekfis.

Die bike en engine is ontwerp om die Dakar te wen. Duine is sy kos.
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2019, 09:07:20 pm »
Vra maar vir Gideon Joubert, hy met vroulief agterop, ry duin 7 soos niks uit op daai SE.

Offline Leo

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2019, 06:32:00 am »
@Hondsekierie - dan moet die ryer die swak skakel wees  :thumleft: