Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: AMPUTEE BIKERS  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
Re: AMPUTEE BIKERS
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2019, 08:48:11 am »
Very nice and informative video
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR 200R, 1982 Honda XL 600R

Offline Pilchie

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2019, 09:05:03 am »
wow -  quite emotional and inspirational video
May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2019, 09:57:51 am »
wow -  quite emotional and inspirational video

Agreed... overwhelming and uplifting
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline LouisL

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2019, 03:59:12 pm »
I was once camping in Hondeklipbaai. Late afternoon I heard the distinctive sound of 2 KTM's and  two guys pulled into the same campsite. Gave them some time to set up their tents and walked over for a chat. Talked about this and that and then the one chap said he is just going to move his bike to a better parking spot. I noticed he was handling the bike in a rather unconventional way & only then I noticed he did not have a left arm (later learned he lost his ar in an accident at his work). What an amazing guy! He rigged his clutch over to the righthand side and was travelling all those rugged backroads. Great respect to him!
Triumph Tiger 800 XC, KLR 650 & 250, Cagiva 650 Raptor, Honda XL 500, Honda XR125, Yamaha TDR 180, Honda CBX, Husky 650 Terra. Honda Africa Twin 1000, Yamaha XT 1200 Super Tenere

The following users thanked this post: Rynet

Offline Greeny

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2019, 02:20:44 pm »

Offline Chemist

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2019, 07:18:38 pm »
Spot on Eberhard.  I fit into that category. We do tend to get on with our own lives and make the best of it. 5 years now  R AKA
 Long trips I ride solo use a 1200Adv and homemade rig no passengers(my Benher chariot) and shorter trips once a year transport my faithful 1986 XT250 nearer de hell , biviaans  or cedarberg with my son and his buddies. Have to be with someone so they can pick me up when I fall .... and to kick start the bike
Once a biker always a biker. Grandchildren get frustrated with Grandpa cause he can't run.
Respect :thumleft:

Online 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2019, 07:50:49 am »
About a month ago we travelled through Steynsburg in the EC, and while stopped for a break a rider approached and stopped.

It was a guy on a sidecar outfit, and he was paralysed from the waist down, at least. He had a bungee cord strapping his legs to the bike, so these don't go dangling all over.

If anything had to happen on the way, he would have no way of remounting.

I forgot his name, but he was on a old first edition R80GS, with a small homebuilt sidecar attached.

When you love biking, you seemingly overcome big obstacles to ride.

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline Shangali

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Just Do It ....
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2019, 02:10:42 pm »
Hi Igno,

I am Shangali, the dude from next door with a right leg that is slightly shorter then the left one.
The cause of it was a collision with an Opel Kadet (of all cars there is in the world it had to be an Opel) in 1985 in Houghton on a intersection
on my way home to Vorna Valley.
Yooo, it is along time ago. I was very young at the time, born 1962, and life went on until today with lots of pleasures and Joy.
My right leg was cut back to just below the knee, i guess that makes me eligible to call it an amputation ??  :imaposer:

Yes, i am still riding my Bike, @ present time a 1200 GS in red, stock standard and the two of us enjoy the Mpumalanga area,
with the occasional off road trip. Off Road riding has been my passion since my first purchase of a GS Beemer in 2009.

Had the pleasure to ride with my fellow bikers from BMW Pretoria which introduced me to Dirt, Gravel and Dust in a manner that had me Addicted to the Dirty stuff. (Thank you, short guy from GPS Africa)

Riding all over South Africa and the occasional journey to Swazi (only 100km to Piggs Peak from my home in Marloth Park) the dirt is the same, and riding is just part of my Life like breathing or dancing on top of a table somewhere in the location on month end ....  :lol8:

I am not at all what one would call "normal" and well behaved, a bit of a nut case and do not react well, if forced to bend to Rules and social behaviour patterns. Maybe as a side effect of the Damage back then and never told, i am not so sure anymore.

Never the less, i am here to support and help in any way i can, should you need advise or inspiration. (beware of my sarcastic and never serious handling of life) All of it, at your own risk, to be infected with my Humour & nutty way of handling life.
 You might be a few years younger then me, but i have no problems with youth, my wife and my girlfriend are both 18 years younger  :lol8:
and my brain is still telling me that i am not a day older then 34.33333 of age .....  O0

Contact me on nilsevenone 484 99onetwo or Shangali88@gmail.com

You find out later if it was good or the best you did ...  :imaposer:

Regards
Shangali ..... Love, Peace & Harmony  :ricky: :ricky:

« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 02:17:11 pm by Shangali »
Shangali           Out with my Friends - Dirt, Dust & Gravel ..

The following users thanked this post: Rynet, Bundu

Offline blackbird

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2019, 03:48:29 pm »
My girl se neef Jakes was een van die ou dae se springbok superbikers. Hy het sy linkerbeen in n race verloor en dadelik gese hy sal weer ry. Sy fietse het links net n basket gehad dat die kunsbeen nie uitval nie en sy gearlever was aan die regterkant van sy fiets. Die agterrem was n tweede lever bokant sy clutch. Hy het so gerace met moerse staaltjies van afkom en die paramedici wat dink hy het nou net sy been verloor omdat hy weg is.

Toe ek hom so 5 jaar teug ontmoet het, het hy n ZX14 gery en ek die bird. Ek kon net nooit by die man bly nie, al was hy meeste van die tyd op die agterwiel. Die manne in die moot onthou dalk vir Jakes, hy het Twisters besit. RIP.

Sy beste maat Dave ry nou met Jakes se ZX, gearlewer terug links want Dave se regterbeen is AWOL. Daars altyd n weg, met die regte ondersteuning en vrinne.
Jaag en vat kanse, moenie indruk nie, die boek is klaar geskryf!

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2019, 06:44:27 pm »
Daars altyd n weg, met die regte ondersteuning en vrinne.

+100
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline reubenvn

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2019, 08:09:03 pm »
I am a below knee amputee. I was hit by a truck that lost control on the opposite side of the highway 12 years ago while I was riding a HD 1200 Sportster. I still ride motorcycles and mountain bikes.
You are welcome to call me if you would like to chat or have any questions
Reuben
082 837 8801

The following users thanked this post: Rynet, Bundu

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2019, 02:51:18 pm »
This looks relevant on the topic. Was published today.

Ampucare annual event a success
Pretoria North Rekord 17/11/2019

“We also provide a service free of charge to the patients and the families at the hospital homes and even before and after operations.”
Hundreds of people attended the first annual 3-in-1 event on Saturday.
The event was organised by Ampucare SA and held at The Willow Tree Pub and Grill in Akasia.
Deon Deon Pienaar from Ampucare SA founded in 2006 said the 3 in 1 events were also a fundraising event for amputees.
He said the Ampucare idea is to get people living with amputations support to show a new amputee that there is life after an amputation.
“The main purpose of this group was and still is, to work with the inner soul of the amputee and not the replacing the limbs lost,” said Pienaar.
Our main concern is the wellbeing of the patient and the steps that lay ahead.
“We also provide a service free of charge to the patients and the families at the hospital homes and even before and after operations.”
The 3 in 1 event:
The group offers service to amputees and their families, has a biker community and last but not least, medical support services.
He added that Ampucare SA is “Because We care” is what we strive and live for.
Ambassador of Ampucare Divan Engelbrcht said at the age of 16 he was in a motorcycle accident where someone skipped a robot and I lost my right leg under the knee
After 3 months I was fully recovered back on my way back to school.
In addition to physical recovery, people also need to be ready for other challenges, and participating in athletics has been a very big part of my recovery process. I grew a lot by participating in athletics.

Engelbrtch advised people not to be afraid to interact with them. “See what blind people do, find out about the cerebral palsy, maybe watch a wheelchair rugby match or two, become part of the community.”
“It helps a lot to understand disability (including your own) and deal with your own challenges,” he concluded.
Amputees and their families enjoyed lovely music by local artist while other amputees set up stalls for the entire family and food carts.

One of the pictures attached to the article.
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

The following users thanked this post: Shangali, Ri

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2019, 12:33:17 pm »
Dale Collett. 60'ish

T4 Paraplegic. Rides a sidecar... sleeps and lives on it too.

“I was paralysed in 1976 at the level T4, which is about level with your breastbone. I have suffered from many pressure sores over the years and I therefore drive my vehicle and motorcycle lying down.

“In September 2011 I broke my left leg very high up and decided to have it amputated.

“In January I had an operation to my left shoulder to repair torn tendons but unfortunately they are irreparable. To say that I need a complete overhaul would not be an exaggeration,” he reported dryly.

https://www.iol.co.za/motoring/bikes/1548km-for-a-good-cause-face-down-1672943

« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 12:33:41 pm by Kamanya »
I wonder where that road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. Appologies to Mr Frost

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

The following users thanked this post: Shangali

Online 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2019, 12:45:55 pm »
Very brave people.