Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Old bikes - do you keep them registered?  (Read 938 times)

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Old bikes - do you keep them registered?
« on: October 19, 2019, 07:11:45 am »
I would not consider myself a collector, but I have a couple of bikes I would like to keep long term.

This include 2 x Honda XL250Sís and a Honda XL125S.

I recently also acquired a Suzuki DF200, which was knowingly bought de-registered.  This got me thinking whether it is worth keeping the others registered and licensed. My intention is to use them, but totally off the general public roads.  The start of gravel is about 8km from our house and might be worth the risk getting to my gravel starting destination.

Iím trying to alleviate the annual licensing costs, but would like your opinion on how much the bike would devalue should I decide to de-register them.  They can always be re-registered, but will be a code 3 then.

Is there an age where license fees become obsolete?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline manxkipper

Re: Old bikes - do you keep them registered?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 10:04:06 pm »
Licence fees are less than 200zar per year. No point in trying to save that amount in my opinion. All my classics are licenced and comprehensively insured.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 01:24:39 am »
Keep them licensed.

As mentioned above, the cost is minimal, but you won't get them confiscated or get in kak if you do ride them to the start of the sand and the cops catch you, and their value will stay higher too. Many guys would not be interested in buying an old bike if getting it registered again would be a PITA.  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Online Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 08:11:43 am »
Keep them registered because then you can take them for a spin around the block just to keep everything working right!
When I fetch my XL250 I want a registered one. :imaposer: :pot: :peepwall:
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 10:36:22 am »
Licence fees are less than 200zar per year. No point in trying to save that amount in my opinion. All my classics are licenced and comprehensively insured.

Agree, this only becomes a problem if you have a biggish collection. What I would like to escape is the queue at the traffic department.

It helps to synchronise your licensing due dates.

Offline manxkipper

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 04:33:06 pm »
All mine are in the same month. Pay via the electronic web site snd they even post them to me. Whatís not to like?

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 04:49:16 pm »
Thanks for the responses gents.  In summary, it sounds penny wise, pound foolish to de-register them. 

Maybe I just sell the lot and then donít have to worry about anything.
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline manxkipper

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2019, 05:00:35 pm »
Now you and I both know that aint going to happen 😁

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2019, 09:14:19 pm »
Thanks for the responses gents.  In summary, it sounds penny wise, pound foolish to de-register them. 

Maybe I just sell the lot and then donít have to worry about anything.

Yes! I'll buy Ian's Z1000 from you cheaply. :pot:

Online the ruffian

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 06:28:43 am »
When last did you actually see cops checking vehicles on that 8k stretch of tar?

Offline Bikerboer1973

• Groot Suzuki aanhanger maar eindig altyd op met 'n Honda!
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Darem al weer 'n Honda XL185 plaas fiets.
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 07:50:40 am »
We have and old Harley Davidson 10/12 and it is exempt from license fees if the following conditions are met, must be the same as it came out the factory in terms off mechanics, must be part off a old club or have proof from an organization that can verify it's age and the way it was manufactured, i:e whiteout indicators etc. Last time I checked it had to be 20 or 30 years old at least, can't remember now. That said I don't know if that is still the case and if it can still be done.

Also, yes keep them registered if possible  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 07:51:06 am by Bikerboer1973 »
Tans.
Honda Xl185 plaas fiets
Vrou se NC700.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 07:59:34 am »
Why is a de-registered bike a code 3?

I have a 1981 XT500 that the license was unpaid from 1995 until 2014 or thereabouts, I enquired as to the license state and was advised that is was de-registerd, but the history was still available (pre-e-Natis), so they could verify it was still in my name.
I re-registered it as it was not on e-Natis, and a minimal fine was issued for failing to renew the license for 20 years (about R700 iirc), they issued me the license papers, etc., all told was about R2k including roadworthy, data-dot (which I discovered was not required) and the paperwork.....

Nowdays I keep my vehicles up to date - the hassle is not worth the cost, and license renewals are available from the Post Office....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Pavlovski

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • www.jamiezone.co.za FOR ALL YOUR W‹RTH PRODUCTS
    • www.jamiezone.co.za
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 08:05:42 am »
I have a 1979 Honda CX500 & I keep it registered.....gives me peace of mind. :thumleft:
Currently owns: BMW R1200R & Honda CX500

Previously owned: BMW R1150GS, BMW G650GS, BMW R1150R, Suzuki SV1000, Suzuki DL650 V-strom, Hyosung GT250, BMW F800ST, BMW K1200S, Harley XL1200 Sportster Custom, SYM 125 Scooter, BMW G650 X-Country

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 08:10:25 am »
De-registering would be a good option if it worked like in the old days, when a deregistered vehicle could be re-registered without penalties such as code3.

Is this the case nowadays, that when re-registering a bike, it becomes a code3?

Offline manxkipper

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 08:10:50 am »
A bike that is no longer registered will be re registered as a built up bike. In othrr words no record of the vehicle. Most of the old British bikes I have bought were unregistered and then itís the whole palaver of police inspection and clearance before re registration. A real pain.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 08:14:22 am »
A bike that is no longer registered will be re registered as a built up bike. In othrr words no record of the vehicle. Most of the old British bikes I have bought were unregistered and then itís the whole palaver of police inspection and clearance before re registration. A real pain.

But does the vehicle not remain on traffic records as "deregistered"? In which case it would be a simple registration process to put it back in someone's name.

I wonder why the records would be wiped clean?

Offline manxkipper

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2019, 08:37:28 am »
I think it depends on when the licence fell into arrears. Some of these old bikes haven't been licenced since the 70's or 80's. I have an idea that pre enatis data was sometimes deleted. I have had bikes that came with licence disks with number plate numbers that not even the provincial authority had archive records for.

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2019, 08:47:21 am »

But does the vehicle not remain on traffic records as "deregistered"? In which case it would be a simple registration process to put it back in someone's name.

Unfortunately once de registered, it requires police clearance and data dot.  Thereafter itís fate is a Code 3 registration.

-David Livingstone-

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2019, 08:51:12 am »

Unfortunately once de registered, it requires police clearance and data dot.  Thereafter itís fate is a Code 3 registration.
If you have the de registration certificate you can bypass SAPS and Datadot ?
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2019, 08:54:09 am »

If you have the de registration certificate you can bypass SAPS and Datadot ?

Not according to the lady at the traffic department.

-David Livingstone-