Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Old bikes - do you keep them registered?  (Read 937 times)

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
Re: Old bikes - do you keep them registered?
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2019, 09:13:18 am »
A bike that is no longer registered will be re registered as a built up bike. In othrr words no record of the vehicle. Most of the old British bikes I have bought were unregistered and then itís the whole palaver of police inspection and clearance before re registration. A real pain.

But does the vehicle not remain on traffic records as "deregistered"? In which case it would be a simple registration process to put it back in someone's name.

I wonder why the records would be wiped clean?

Unfortunately once de registered, it requires police clearance and data dot.  Thereafter itís fate is a Code 3 registration.
If you have the de registration certificate you can bypass SAPS and Datadot ?

Not according to the lady at the traffic department.
Damn not good news for the old XR I bought then  :-\
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2019, 12:42:57 pm »
I was enquiring just last week just here in NWest to catch up my school 50 registration which I de-registered in 1991. All I have to do is a RWC and pay ALL licence fees backdated to 1991 which will cost me around R5k.... decided against it so rather just keep your bike registered... adds value in long run :thumleft:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 08:36:25 am by Roxtar »
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2019, 12:44:44 pm »
A bike that is no longer registered will be re registered as a built up bike. In othrr words no record of the vehicle. Most of the old British bikes I have bought were unregistered and then itís the whole palaver of police inspection and clearance before re registration. A real pain.

But does the vehicle not remain on traffic records as "deregistered"? In which case it would be a simple registration process to put it back in someone's name.

I wonder why the records would be wiped clean?

Correct Dan, I think people are confusing "de-registered" with "Scapped" here, different process altogether...

Offline manxkipper

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2019, 05:21:32 pm »
Unregistered isn't deregistered or scrapped. It will be a bike that has no presence on the enatis system any longer. No data requires the reintroduction of the vehicle to the system (RPI, RPC and datadot; then registration and licencing/roadworthy). None of the old bikes I have bought over the years have been scrapped. I think the scrapping certificate vehicle might be easier to reintroduce.

Online Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2019, 06:05:51 pm »
One of mine is deregistered and I have the papers stating that.  The answer I got today was what I mentioned earlier.  Iíll take the de registration papers there later this week and try and get some clarity from them, since all of this is very confusing and contradictory.  :thumleft:
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2019, 08:37:57 am »
One of mine is deregistered and I have the papers stating that.  The answer I got today was what I mentioned earlier.  Iíll take the de registration papers there later this week and try and get some clarity from them, since all of this is very confusing and contradictory.  :thumleft:

Let us know the outcome of dealings thanks Kobus... I have a suspicion it varies from province to province, and even from office to office.... ???

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2019, 09:20:26 am »

Let us know the outcome of dealings thanks Kobus... I have a suspicion it varies from province to province, and even from office to office.... ???

I have the same suspicion  :-\

Following this thread to see what the outcome will be
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR 200R, 1982 Honda XL 600R

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2019, 09:09:36 am »
I was enquiring just last week just here in NWest to catch up my school 50 registration which I de-registered in 1991. All I have to do is a RWC and pay ALL licence fees backdated to 1991 which will cost me around R5k.... decided against it so rather just keep your bike registered... adds value in long run :thumleft:

I thought the whole reason to de-register a vehicle is to keep it off the road and therefor no longer need to pay any licence fees. If I understand the above correct......

I bought a F250 truck which was de-registered in 2008 and parked up until now never used by the previous owner again. I bought it and fixing it up to get it roadworthy/police clearance/data dot to register it in my name etc. So Why would I be liable for licence fees over the past 11 years if it was not on the road?
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline JonS

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2019, 10:01:41 am »
https://www.gov.za/services/transport/apply-motor-trade-number-and-permit

Around R250 annually for a motorcycle trade plate in the Cape, makes things a lot easier.

Signed up for one years ago, took about 2 weeks to be registered as a "motor dealer"

Online Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2019, 01:27:45 pm »
Ek dink ek is nou agter die kap van die byl.  Sal in my beste Engels probeer verduidelik.

There is two forms of deregistration:

Deregistration by request:

This is done on the ADV(9)(2012/03) form.  There is 3 respective reasons for deregistration:

- Motor vehicle stolen (Regulation 54)
- Motor vehicle permanently unfit for use (scrap)
- Motor vehicle exempted from registration

A vehicle is only exempt from registration if itís a vintage and you belong to a club.  The vehicle may only be used for club events.  In any ordinary/general use it will attract a fine as for an unlicensed or deregistered vehicle.

In the instance of a stolen vehicle, I think it gets registered as a code 2 subsequent to all police clearance, data dot etc.

For reason no. 2, you need police clearance and data dot, after which it gets registered as a code 3.

If you reregister due to reason no. 3, they actually donít know how it works.  I guess itís quite uncommon.

Deregistration by default:

This happens when you simply donít pay your license fees.  Normally after a period of 3 to 4 years, which varies in the different provinces it seems.

You will not necessarily be in possession of said deregistration certificate, but will show as such on the system.  When application is made to reregister the vehicle, it gets pulled from the archives and, providing you pay all license fees in arrears since date of defect, it gets registered again.  The lady was a little bit unsure, but believe in this instance it would probably not be a code 3.  If itís a subsequent change of ownership, police clearance and data dot might be required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2019, 04:01:43 pm »
Buy a donkey @Kobus Myburgh  :biggrin: Die ou by wie ek die bakkie gekoop het, homself die de-registration in persoon gaan doen en moes betaal vir dit. Ek sit met die de-registration vorm gedoen 2008-12-17 en 'n bedrag van R378.40 was betaal. vir dit. Hy lyk dieselfde as 'n gewone lisensie of registrasie dokument behalwe dat daar indie boonste hoekie staan "Certificate of Deregistration in respect of motor vehicle" Ek sal more bietjie mensepaaliteit toe gaan en kyk of hulle my meer inligting kan gee oor die proses om hom weer terug op die pad te kry. Prince Albert werk gewoonlik heeltemal anders as die res van die land  :peepwall:
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Online Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2019, 06:22:46 pm »
Buy a donkey @Kobus Myburgh  :biggrin: Die ou by wie ek die bakkie gekoop het, homself die de-registration in persoon gaan doen en moes betaal vir dit. Ek sit met die de-registration vorm gedoen 2008-12-17 en 'n bedrag van R378.40 was betaal. vir dit. Hy lyk dieselfde as 'n gewone lisensie of registrasie dokument behalwe dat daar indie boonste hoekie staan "Certificate of Deregistration in respect of motor vehicle" Ek sal more bietjie mensepaaliteit toe gaan en kyk of hulle my meer inligting kan gee oor die proses om hom weer terug op die pad te kry. Prince Albert werk gewoonlik heeltemal anders as die res van die land  :peepwall:

Plesier.  :thumleft:  Ek het versuim om te sÍ dat daar is ook vrywaring van lisensie gelde as jy jou voertuig slegs iets soos 1km op Ďn publieke grondpad gebruik. 

-David Livingstone-