Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Most Iconic Adventure Bike Ever?  (Read 2959 times)

Online sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
Re: Most Iconic Adventure Bike Ever?
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2019, 01:12:33 pm »
What is this road to Hell, The Hell ? To me it looks like you can do it on a scooter like Baviaans and Sani Pass
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Online Ganjora

« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2019, 01:14:50 pm »
sani is so easy i did it on a  bicycle.

Online Lem

« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2019, 01:18:14 pm »
What is this road to Hell, The Hell ? To me it looks like you can do it on a scooter like Baviaans and Sani Pass

Danie is referring to a 4x4 track in the Northern Cape, close to the Orange River.  :thumleft:

it is his preferred form of "adventure riding" for which one needs a very light enduro bike.
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline Dorsland

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2019, 01:38:21 pm »
I have to go with the XT500. It was a go anywhere, do anything bike.  In 1981 I bought a brand new TT500 (basically a stripped down enduro version of the XT500).  I used to commute to work with that during the week (sans instruments or road legal lighting of any sort.  Yes, I also have a reckless streak in me), take to the trails on weekends, then go visit my girlfriend on it.  I toured the Wild Coast 2-up on it, rode CT to Johannesburg twice, Johannesburg-Durban-PE twice, CT- Garden Route once.
 Later I did some suspension and a few other mods to it and raced it in the Bapsfontein 200 (iirc), the Toyota 1000 Desert Race in Botswana, the Barberspan 500 races, enduro class at Durban Deep and a few other club enduros out near Hartebeespoort dam.

Upgrading from an XL250, it opened up the world for me. (it also opened a nice gash on my heel once when I made an error in the kickstart process but that's a story for another day.) True, the fact that it was my first "big" bike, mixed with the mists of time and my youth combine to make very fond memories.  But (and a confess to not being a historical bike-fact boffin), it was the first of a breed, it was simple to operate, to maintain, reasonably cheap to buy and could do anything.

I now own its modern equivalent, the XT660Z Teneré and I love it.  The Teneré still embodies that simple design with minimal technology in a single thumper and it gives me a moerse lot of pleasure.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 01:39:46 pm by Dorsland »
Geleerdheid in die kop van 'n dwaas is soos 'n lemmetjie in die hand van 'n aap.

CJ Langenhoven

Offline Dorsland

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2019, 01:42:42 pm »
It's legend status is a fact, attested to by the hot chicks that were drawn to me because I rode one.  :imaposer: :imaposer:

Bapsfontein 1981.  Nadine admiring my well sculpted butt attributed to kick starting a steeks TT500 slippery with mud.  O0 :peepwall: :lol8:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 01:44:27 pm by Dorsland »
Geleerdheid in die kop van 'n dwaas is soos 'n lemmetjie in die hand van 'n aap.

CJ Langenhoven

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2019, 02:56:53 pm »
 :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2019, 04:03:32 pm »
Who has actually done Road to Hell on a 950?

Even an SE failed. ;)

It went down RTH no problem

And still made it up even though we had to drag it back up
The older I get the faster I was

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2019, 05:30:16 pm »
Sorry my bad - I did not properly read the thread heading - the most iconic adventure bike must be the XT500

But the best adventure bike we have seen since the segment began is definitely the 950 ADV ...and this excludes the 990 ADV (because even though they were faster and more powerful they were too full of electrickery and not nearly as reliable as a sorted carb fed 950)

I have both - my 2004 silver 950 that I recently acquired has 15 000 km thus making my 990R available for sale soon 

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2019, 07:01:07 pm »
If I owned a good 950 now, I would hold onto it.

The following users thanked this post: Tiger8

Online Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2019, 09:28:46 pm »
Justin, where on earth did you find that bike?
15000km?
 :eek7:
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

Offline billy-joe

« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2019, 10:41:54 pm »
Sorry my bad - I did not properly read the thread heading - the most iconic adventure bike must be the XT500

But the best adventure bike we have seen since the segment began is definitely the 950 ADV ...and this excludes the 990 ADV (because even though they were faster and more powerful they were too full of electrickery and not nearly as reliable as a sorted carb fed 950)

I have both - my 2004 silver 950 that I recently acquired has 15 000 km thus making my 990R available for sale soon

sheesh, that's a lovely 950.  Makes me want to hold on to mine despite me wanting the  smaller bikes.  they're a pain in the ass to maintain though!
-There is no road to happiness...Happiness is the road.
-One cannot drink beer all day long if you do not start early in the morning says Welsh!!

Online Ganjora

« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2019, 05:04:26 am »
15000km?

Runner's bike?

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2019, 05:15:38 am »
I have to go with the XT500. It was a go anywhere, do anything bike.  In 1981 I bought a brand new TT500 (basically a stripped down enduro version of the XT500).  I used to commute to work with that during the week (sans instruments or road legal lighting of any sort.  Yes, I also have a reckless streak in me), take to the trails on weekends, then go visit my girlfriend on it.  I toured the Wild Coast 2-up on it, rode CT to Johannesburg twice, Johannesburg-Durban-PE twice, CT- Garden Route once.
 Later I did some suspension and a few other mods to it and raced it in the Bapsfontein 200 (iirc), the Toyota 1000 Desert Race in Botswana, the Barberspan 500 races, enduro class at Durban Deep and a few other club enduros out near Hartebeespoort dam.

Upgrading from an XL250, it opened up the world for me. (it also opened a nice gash on my heel once when I made an error in the kickstart process but that's a story for another day.) True, the fact that it was my first "big" bike, mixed with the mists of time and my youth combine to make very fond memories.  But (and a confess to not being a historical bike-fact boffin), it was the first of a breed, it was simple to operate, to maintain, reasonably cheap to buy and could do anything.

I now own its modern equivalent, the XT660Z Teneré and I love it.  The Teneré still embodies that simple design with minimal technology in a single thumper and it gives me a moerse lot of pleasure.
[/quote
I was  using a XR 500 Rb at the same time , commute to wits tec  race weekends also 500 enduro class, durban deep , brickor, bapafontein, we must have crossed paths a few times, will a few pics, only kept mine a short while then got a 495 Pro lever, not a great choice, fast but all else was crap. the XR was a wheelie machine,  :thumleft:
twin shox, twin drum air cooled

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2019, 05:56:00 am »
15000km?

Runner's bike?

Not Runners bike - a totally stock standard one in Sandton - 2 elderly owners since new and still on its original front tyre from 2004

Offline Eendstop

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • "I ache in places I used to play"
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2019, 10:44:51 am »
Post 8 on page 1 got the answer right and you people still debate it for 4 more pages  :imaposer:

Are you people bikers or politicians?  :snorting:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 10:46:10 am by Eendstop »
There is a crack in everything
that is how the light gets in
L.Cohen: Anthem

Offline ianb

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • BMW R80GS. KTM 790R
    • BLOMEYERS
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2019, 11:02:54 am »
Definitely XT/TT 500  and BMW G/S 800  for the world traveler .

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2019, 03:23:24 pm »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m da Yooper, eh and I like to party...

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
I’m da Yooper, eh and I like to party...

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2019, 08:34:44 pm »
15000km?

Runner's bike?

Not Runners bike - a totally stock standard one in Sandton - 2 elderly owners since new and still on its original front tyre from 2004

Spent the last 15 years on the back wheel, no doubt .........................  8)
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline PHILIPKUHN

• Maak a stoffie!!
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2019, 09:03:51 am »
Groete
Philip Kuhn
tel: 0824155625
Email: philipskuhn@gmail.com