Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: R200k - buy a bicycle or KTM 790R  (Read 2115 times)

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
Re: R200k - buy a bicycle or KTM 790R
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2019, 04:31:39 pm »
I am not convinced that the electric bicycles are any more good for your health than driving your bike or car. Yes sure at first you start out only using the battery power on hills and climbs and gradually it spirals into a frenzy of I need an additional battery to do this ride else the bike won't make it all the way. I have seen this personally with a family member. I asked the other day why does he not just get rid of his pedal bikes and he said NEVER he is still going to use them. I doubt it.

Have all these apps and gadgets adopted to an electric assisted bicycle else you are burning calories and setting up PB's like there is no tomorrow?

If you going to buy one then do it for the real reason because you are tired of pedaling your arse off  :biggrin:
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2019, 04:56:33 pm »
Typically, you all get manufacturers products prior to them being released here.

Have any of you demoed the new bicycle from Yamaha?
Iím da Yooper, eh and I like to party...

Offline peter stuyvesant

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2019, 05:05:03 pm »
I am not convinced that the electric bicycles are any more good for your health than driving your bike or car. Yes sure at first you start out only using the battery power on hills and climbs and gradually it spirals into a frenzy of I need an additional battery to do this ride else the bike won't make it all the way. I have seen this personally with a family member. I asked the other day why does he not just get rid of his pedal bikes and he said NEVER he is still going to use them. I doubt it.

Have all these apps and gadgets adopted to an electric assisted bicycle else you are burning calories and setting up PB's like there is no tomorrow?

If you going to buy one then do it for the real reason because you are tired of pedaling your arse off  :biggrin:

I don't agree with you at all. I'm an asthmatic smoker  :eek7: and when i bought my ebike i'd use the higher assistance modes. As i'm getting fitter/better, i find i challenge myself to go up the hills in the lowest assist mode. There is a huge difference between pedal assist and the one with the throttle. On pedal assist, you stop pedalling, you stop moving. Even in lowest assist you're still pedalling a 25kg bike up a hill. For me, i'd rather be out pedalling the trails with help from my ebike than sitting on the couch thinking about it. I might even progress to non assisted at some stage but it'll be thanks to the ebike.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 05:06:39 pm by peter stuyvesant »

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2019, 05:27:42 pm »

I don't agree with you at all. I'm an asthmatic smoker  :eek7: and when i bought my ebike i'd use the higher assistance modes. As i'm getting fitter/better, i find i challenge myself to go up the hills in the lowest assist mode. There is a huge difference between pedal assist and the one with the throttle. On pedal assist, you stop pedalling, you stop moving. Even in lowest assist you're still pedalling a 25kg bike up a hill. For me, i'd rather be out pedalling the trails with help from my ebike than sitting on the couch thinking about it. I might even progress to non assisted at some stage but it'll be thanks to the ebike.

If that's the way you're going, then it's time to get a non-assist bike. I've only used an e-bike once and found it a great help, and good fun. But when you want to use it with no assist at all, it's crap. Very crap. As in, the crappest bike there is in the world. Even worse than a 790.

I'd love to have one, though, just to extend my pedalling range (currently about 40km on a mtb track). I'd like to pedal the passes I've done on my motorbikes but can't do 100km a day.

I'd die on day 1.
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!