Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Tips for passing K53  (Read 934 times)

Offline Skeltonsc

Tips for passing K53
« on: October 23, 2019, 10:04:46 am »
I have been riding my bikes daily since around 2010 and have picked up lots of bad habits :deal: :deal: :deal: :deal:

and because I finally decided I need insurance on my stuff I should go out and get my proper license.

I'm also a little worried if I do come pipe that my life insurance would not pay out if I was riding illegally.

my last learners expired in 2014 and I've gotten really good at ducking road blocks   >:D >:D

I did my learners again 2 weeks ago and that's piss easy.

But the test what can I expect?

Offline Grunder

• "bery bery serious...
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
Re: Tips for passing K53
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 10:09:10 am »
If I'm not mistaken you can't just go and do the test anymore.

You have to go via a riding school/instructor.

Anyway, the bike licence is not difficult but if you don't exactly know what  to do you will probably fail.

Best advice I can give is to have someone show you the routine. 

I also went with the guys bike, a small 200cc vs heavy 800gs
Muscles can't buy mad dog!

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 10:11:17 am »
I'm 100% sure you can just go do the test, but I'm pretty sure most of us will fail trying to just do it.

Go to a riding school and let them run you through the test a couple times, then it's fairly easy.  Biker Bravado are very good at this.  You can also rent a little chines bike from them to do the test.

I did it on my 990 but it wouldve been much easier on something smaller.

Offline Dirt Junkie

• I talk less and ride more than a
  • Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 10:15:15 am »
I would recommend 1 or 2 lessons it will go far with helping you, knowing exactly what observations and how the whole test needs to be done. When you go do the riding test relax and take it slow, taking it slow help with buying you time to do the observations and respond timeously to the instructions. Way easier getting than cars and trucks
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 10:16:02 am by Dirt Junkie »
Something to think about...
When you complain, you make yourself a victim. Leave the situation, change the situation, or accept your it. All else is madness.

KTM 640 adv,  Aprilia RS 250, Yamaha YZ450F, 2014 KTM 690, 2010 KTM 690R, 2011 BMW F800GS, Yamaha XT600E , 2012 KTM 250 SX-F , KTM 400 EXC, Kawasaki  KLR650, Honda 125 estorm, 2012 KTM 300 XCW, 2008 KTM 690

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 10:19:03 am »
Dunno up in Jozie, but I've seen a lot of people here at work go through the same process and you need a small bike to pass, so the best way of doing it is through a school on their bike.
(Down here we have 'Billie de Beer' and his gaggle of TeeDubs)

/Edit Billie also knows about the discrepancies between testing centers down here, so he teaches you slight variances in how you must do things depending on where you are going /edit

The problem is that some of the 'tasks' in the test requires you to ride it out in 1st and 2nd before you do something, but by the time you hook 2nd you are way too fast already (one of the other things is that you need to pull away, shift to 2nd, do you observations, indicate a turn and then turn - all in a VERY short space, so having a longer 1st and 2nd gear of the bigger bikes is really to your disadvantage).

The technicalities of the maneuvers isn't the issue - the issue is that the tests are designed in such a way to make it much more difficult with anything other than a TeeDub

Also for the 'how and what', I would recommend a couple of lessons at least.
Friend of mine down here failed because he put both feet down when stopped and the testing orrificer said that that means he doesn't have balance (the officer have clearly not stood at a robot in Paarden Island when moerse windy)
Point is - there's things that you need to know to pass (that has nothing to do with your ability to ride) that you plainly will not know unless someone takes you through the motions
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 10:24:56 am by Eisbein »
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 10:21:01 am »
I agree, go for at least two lessons to familiarize you with what to do and not to do and with the setup of the course/track that you will do your test on. Most instructors have small bikes that you can use to do the test with.

I did mine with a TW200 that the instructor "tuned"  specially not to stall so easily  for his pupils doing the test. THis made things much easier for the pupils.

I went for two lessons on his TW200 and I also practised the "yard test" on my F800GS. Lucky for me the parking where he gave the lessons was close to my home and I could gou and practise on my own after work and over weekends
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR 200R, 1982 Honda XL 600R

Offline TrailBlazer

• www.a-cut-above.co.za (Laser cutting & Engraving Services)
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • A-Cut-Above
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 10:27:20 am »
My wife failed her first test because she was 2km/h too slow through the "speed check corner". When the second test came along, she had to use my 650 Alp, and failed because she locked up the back wheel in the emergency stop. (The Alp's brakes are just better than the KLE's, and she was not accustomed to it.)

The third test she did at Heidelberg, and passed with flying colours.

Tips:

1. On the hill-start, hold the bike on the back brakes. If you hold on front brakes, sometimes the shocks will extend, and the examiner may think you rolled back. Instant fail (This info from BMW Training)
2. Make sure you're doing the prescribed speed (or more) through the curved section. As above, my wife failed for a 2km/h difference.
3. Make sure you do all your "bobble-head" moves. Exagerate the movement of your head so the examiner can SEE that you were observing all points before moving off.
4. Do NOT lock up your wheels in an emergency-stop - instant fail.
5. Make sure all lights / hooter etc are working. No oil / fluid leaks. If not - instant fail
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old, bold riders.

Do not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Take only pictures. leave only footprints

Offline Ganjora

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 10:42:39 am »
do the BMW course before you go.
when i went i started the yard test and the examiner said he could see i'd done the BMW course,  and we could move on.
the actual riding test was very easy.
the actual test only ends once you have left their testing yard and parked your bike again - be careful.   when they say the test is over you can park your bike,  they are still watching,  and can fail you.   do it by the book until you actually get the physical license.
then buy a 6 pack and ride up to the top of  a min dump and celebrate.

Offline Mpandla

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 10:58:33 am »
I did it slightly the opposite and used my own bike. I decided its better to ride the bike I know and am familiar with.
Didnt go for lessons either, watched one or two Youtube videos and just went. Had a really nice officer testing me on the day as well.
They do explain what you have to do etc as well

Just dont be silly. Listen to what they say and try to stay calm.
KTM 690
Mpandla - The bald one

Offline Skeltonsc

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2019, 11:07:38 am »
Thank you for the all the prompt replies,

I will certainly be using my own bike as I have no issues with regards to control and balance and have perfect clutch control. plus she is light and very manageable. will just have to disconnect the spots and fit a number plate  :deal:

I am a little worried about locking the back wheel  :P that E07 is not the greatest on any tar or paving. but then again the speed is around 25km/h so should not be a problem.

Also doing the test in Heidelburg on the 26 November so still have a little time.

but will look around to do at least one lesson

not the BMW one LOL I ride a KLE so dont need oil tanker training >:D

Offline Edgar

• The ultimate
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2019, 11:13:14 am »
I booked my K53 yard test on the e-natis website. Then went to the Kempton Park DLTC to pay and do the eye test.

Booked a 2 hour lesson with Synergy Bike Academy.

Fingers crossed for my test date in November  :deal:

Offline Andre E

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • McDonalds Accommodation, Queenstown
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2019, 11:15:24 am »
If you go with a big bike, they will understand the problem with trying to hook second. At least, our examiners here do.

Go for one lesson, then just practice. It really is piss easy.

Do emergency braking with front brake only, just one thing to concentrate on.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Don't be kak, be lekker.
What is this life, if full of care,
we have no time to stand and stare.

Offline Ganjora

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2019, 11:19:47 am »
not the BMW one LOL I ride a KLE so dont need oil tanker training >:D

and i rode a KLR in those days.
the lesson is not bike specific or anything like that.
it is exactly what you want - all the tricks to pass your licence, the 1st time.

The following users thanked this post: Skeltonsc

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2019, 11:36:20 am »
I did a couple of hours on the morning of my test with a training academy that runs out of the testing grounds at Langlaagte - they tell you exactly what you need to do, sequence, timing, speed, alles - use a reputable company and get the instruction - its worth it.

I also used my own bike - the theory is that you know your own bike better than anyone elses, you know its clutch take point, brake bite poin etc., - i used a R1200GS Adventure - passed first time.

You have been riding for ages, you will pass as long as you know what they expect.
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Edgar

• The ultimate
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2019, 11:40:42 am »
I did a couple of hours on the morning of my test with a training academy that runs out of the testing grounds at Langlaagte - they tell you exactly what you need to do, sequence, timing, speed, alles - use a reputable company and get the instruction - its worth it.

I also used my own bike - the theory is that you know your own bike better than anyone elses, you know its clutch take point, brake bite poin etc., - i used a R1200GS Adventure - passed first time.

You have been riding for ages, you will pass as long as you know what they expect.

My thinking as well  :thumleft:

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2019, 11:49:43 am »
The guys down here (at least Billie) let you use the exact same bike in all the practice and passing out sessions.

The issue with your own bike (especially like the KLE's long suspension travel) is that you have to be seriously careful that they don't see the shocks compressing and decompressing as a 'roll back' on a hillstart pullaway.

To be honest - I am glad I did mine in 1993. Back then you had the testing cop riding behind you through the traffic towards the testing grounds.
You had to see when his indicator is on and then do the moves, but at least he could check you out in normal traffic and assess if you are comfortable or not.
The yard test was an old school 'through the cones/figure of 8, tight left and right circles' and a 'swerve and emergency stop' in both directions affair.

Did it as a (then still) small 19 year old on a friend's Honda 550 four

:biggrin:
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Edgar

• The ultimate
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2019, 12:19:15 pm »
The guys down here (at least Billie) let you use the exact same bike in all the practice and passing out sessions.

The issue with your own bike (especially like the KLE's long suspension travel) is that you have to be seriously careful that they don't see the shocks compressing and decompressing as a 'roll back' on a hillstart pullaway.

To be honest - I am glad I did mine in 1993. Back then you had the testing cop riding behind you through the traffic towards the testing grounds.
You had to see when his indicator is on and then do the moves, but at least he could check you out in normal traffic and assess if you are comfortable or not.
The yard test was an old school 'through the cones/figure of 8, tight left and right circles' and a 'swerve and emergency stop' in both directions affair.

Did it as a (then still) small 19 year old on a friend's Honda 550 four

:biggrin:

Not many guys will pass if they still do the test that way  :imaposer:

Offline @offroad

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2019, 01:38:51 pm »
Booked a 2 hour lesson with Synergy Bike Academy.

Yip also went through SRA - did the training and booked the track a week or so later just to brush up.

Passed on my GS first time - I figured that if I couldn't pass the test using the bike I actually ride then I wasn't ready for the test and needed to practice more.
Colin

2017 BMW R 1200 GS with a few farkles.

I'd rather be riding.

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2019, 01:47:03 pm »
Holy cow, reading all the above is rather disturbing. I arrived at the traffic department, the oom looked at the clip board and asked if I'm Charlie's son, I said I am. So he sent me to his house to fetch his pipes and lunch. Got back and he had written out my license. I thought it was kak difficult, at the time!
Just because your past did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2019, 01:53:01 pm »
Tip on passing:
Give tip. (That is what I heard!)
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!