Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Tips for passing K53  (Read 918 times)

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
Re: Tips for passing K53
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2019, 02:53:52 pm »
Although I'm licensed to drive pretty much anything on wheels I'm sure that after 59 years of being used to doing it 'my way' - all wrong, I wouldn't have a hope in hell of passing a test today.

My bike test, in 1961  :eek7:, was a joke even at the time. The tester just stood at the kerbside and first asked me to read a number plate from a distance of I think, 20 yards if I remember. Then he told me to pull away and just ride around the block taking the first right turn each time, which meant that I was out of his sight from the first turn, until I reappeared out of the final one. He warned me that as I approached after the last turn, he would step into the road and raise his hand, when I should apply the brakes and come to a controlled stop. And that was it!

I think maybe I could pass that test again if I had to take it today, but I'm not too sure.  :-\  I may not be able to read the number plate!  ;) :biggrin:

Online Edgar

• The ultimate
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2019, 03:24:55 pm »
Holy cow, reading all the above is rather disturbing. I arrived at the traffic department, the oom looked at the clip board and asked if I'm Charlie's son, I said I am. So he sent me to his house to fetch his pipes and lunch. Got back and he had written out my license. I thought it was kak difficult, at the time!

Ja well, not everyone's father is named Charlie :imaposer:

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2019, 03:32:42 pm »
Holy cow, reading all the above is rather disturbing. I arrived at the traffic department, the oom looked at the clip board and asked if I'm Charlie's son, I said I am. So he sent me to his house to fetch his pipes and lunch. Got back and he had written out my license. I thought it was kak difficult, at the time!

Ja well, not everyone's father is named Charlie :imaposer:
Be nice now
Just because your past did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline Skeltonsc

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2019, 03:43:06 pm »
Has anyone heard of Bikerbravado.co.za they seem to operate in Randburg just off Malibongwe so they are right around the corner from me

Last time I did a lesson was for my Code 10 and that was in 2005 and that cost R300 so R460 doesnt sound bad.

will book a weekday lesson in November before my Test and just learn the procedure I really dont think I will need more than one lesson

this was the reply I got from them  :deal:

Our K53 pre-Test one on one training session costs R460 prepaid by eft and lasts for 1 hour. (Training sessions are done using our training bike or your own, whichever suits you)

All Test exercises are explained and practiced on a replica test track.

At the conclusion of the K53 Lesson the instructor will assess if the candidate has the skill to pass or not. This could result in either another lesson being required or a certain exercise to be further practiced

We have slots available from 09:00 - 17:00 weekdays and 08:00 - 17:00 on weekends. (Weekends are heavily booked so to get an early slot, weekdays are preferable )

Kind regards

Ray & Malcolm

« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 03:44:17 pm by Skeltonsc »

Offline Skeltonsc

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2019, 03:52:34 pm »
as for keeping calm on the test day thats easy O0

was in Hillbrow yesterday afternoon in peak traffic with all those taxis, and still kept my cool doing emergency swerves and stops, actually felt very invisible.

Just need to get out of my bad habits of not putting feet down and observations actually stopping dead etc, keeping the front wheel down on speed bumps

Having a cigarette while riding on the highway

You know riding like an idiot >:D >:D

Online Edgar

• The ultimate
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2019, 04:58:03 pm »
as for keeping calm on the test day thats easy O0

was in Hillbrow yesterday afternoon in peak traffic with all those taxis, and still kept my cool doing emergency swerves and stops, actually felt very invisible.

Just need to get out of my bad habits of not putting feet down and observations actually stopping dead etc, keeping the front wheel down on speed bumps

Having a cigarette while riding on the highway

You know riding like an idiot >:D >:D

I hear you. My bad habit is to pour rum & coke in my kamelbak. Not a good idea during test day  :imaposer:

Offline Moridin

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2019, 10:40:04 pm »
Some advice. Make a habit when stopping to put your left foot down and right foot on foot brake. That way you will be much better at the hill start when doing the test and you will do everything automatically in sequence. I used to only put right foot on foot brake on uphill stops, which meant that I had to think about it. Off course my first test I failed because I was nervous and stuffed up the procedure.

Also, if you have a 600 or so dualie, do it on that because they allow you to stay in first on the bigger bikes. Gives you so much more time to squeeze in everything you have to do. Also, verify with the officer what he/she expects you to do. You are allowed that. And with the emergency stop and swerves, you are allowed 2 retries if you were under the required speed. If you go fast and stuff it up by going over the line, instant fail.

The following users thanked this post: Skeltonsc

Online Edgar

• The ultimate
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2019, 03:57:06 pm »
I took the course at SRA in Centurion last week (about 2 hours), and yesterday I practiced for on hour on their track. Today was my test day at Kemptonpark DLTC and I passed. The test is not difficult. My advice is stay calm and don't stress too much  ;D

Good luck!!!

The following users thanked this post: Skeltonsc

Online eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2019, 05:07:02 pm »
When I went for my license I had asked myself the question - what bike. The answer I gave myself was to go on a bike that will put the attention on the bike and not the rider. As I sort of expected / hoped for a host of traffic officials gathered around the bike where I had parked it. The official that tested me only said that I must not go too fast.
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2019, 05:20:57 pm »
I agree, go for at least two lessons to familiarize you with what to do and not to do and with the setup of the course/track that you will do your test on. Most instructors have small bikes that you can use to do the test with.

I did mine with a TW200 that the instructor "tuned"  specially not to stall so easily  for his pupils doing the test. THis made things much easier for the pupils.

I went for two lessons on his TW200 and I also practised the "yard test" on my F800GS. Lucky for me the parking where he gave the lessons was close to my home and I could gou and practise on my own after work and over weekends

Listen to this man .. I had been riding for a year before getting my licence, if i never went on those TW200's i would have failed, that simple

for example, just going from stationary , pull away, ride in a straight line, stop.. easy enough right? But, how many times do you check your blind spot .. hint, if you answered less than 8 you would be wrong, and you need to check your blind spot before a certain time after pulling away and before stopping, considering they take off a point for everytime you fail to check a blind spot, it doesnt take much to fail.

The test itself is easy, you just have to know where they look to deduct points

Save yourself the heartache of failing and get instruction 1st.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Andre E

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • McDonalds Accommodation, Queenstown
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2019, 05:24:24 pm »
I agree, go for at least two lessons to familiarize you with what to do and not to do and with the setup of the course/track that you will do your test on. Most instructors have small bikes that you can use to do the test with.

I did mine with a TW200 that the instructor "tuned"  specially not to stall so easily  for his pupils doing the test. THis made things much easier for the pupils.

I went for two lessons on his TW200 and I also practised the "yard test" on my F800GS. Lucky for me the parking where he gave the lessons was close to my home and I could gou and practise on my own after work and over weekends

Listen to this man .. I had been riding for a year before getting my licence, if i never went on those TW200's i would have failed, that simple

for example, just going from stationary , pull away, ride in a straight line, stop.. easy enough right? But, how many times do you check your blind spot .. hint, if you answered less than 8 you would be wrong, and you need to check your blind spot before a certain time after pulling away and before stopping, considering they take off a point for everytime you fail to check a blind spot, it doesnt take much to fail.

Don't know where you went, but that's not remotely accurate.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Don't be kak, be lekker.
What is this life, if full of care,
we have no time to stand and stare.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2019, 05:36:54 pm »

Don't know where you went, but that's not remotely accurate.

I went to the traffic department in Stellenbosch.. so unless I was dreaming that is exactly how it was
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Andre E

• McDonalds Accommodation, Queenstown
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2019, 06:03:08 pm »
Look, not pissing on your parade, just seems a little bit dramatic.

First, there's no "pull off, ride in a straight line, stop" in the test.

The emergency stop comes closest, but once the red light comes on you don't check mirrors or blind spot because, well it's an emergency stop.

The longest excercise is "driving in town" and there we will probably get to 8 blindspots, because there's 2 left turns and a stop.

In a car we constantly monitor mirrors and blindspots, but the test yard for bikes is compact and we do mirrors and blindspot as required for the particular excercise.

Don't be kak, be lekker.
What is this life, if full of care,
we have no time to stand and stare.

Online Edgar

• The ultimate
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2019, 07:10:22 pm »
When I went for my license I had asked myself the question - what bike. The answer I gave myself was to go on a bike that will put the attention on the bike and not the rider. As I sort of expected / hoped for a host of traffic officials gathered around the bike where I had parked it. The official that tested me only said that I must not go too fast.

I did the test today on my BMW Dakar. My reasoning was that this is the bike I actually ride everyday and that I feel comfortable with. Also, if I can't pass the test on the Dakar, I should actually not be riding it.

Online eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2019, 08:11:49 pm »

I did the test today on my BMW Dakar. My reasoning was that this is the bike I actually ride everyday and that I feel comfortable with. Also, if I can't pass the test on the Dakar, I should actually not be riding it.

I had no problem riding bikes. But knowing civil servants I did not want to leave anything to chance.  The test official may have a bad hair day, for example. Giving them something to look at over which you have absolute control, so that they do not search for something to look at.  Psychology. It works more often than not. Anyway, why not. I had a few bikes to pick from.
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

The following users thanked this post: Edgar

Online Edgar

• The ultimate
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2019, 09:19:21 pm »

I had no problem riding bikes. But knowing civil servants I did not want to leave anything to chance.  The test official may have a bad hair day, for example. Giving them something to look at over which you have absolute control, so that they do not search for something to look at.  Psychology. It works more often than not. Anyway, why not. I had a few bikes to pick from.

:spitcoffee:

Offline @offroad

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2019, 07:20:16 am »

My thoughts too - you may pass the test on a smaller bike but you are only bullsh#$% yourself.
Colin

2017 BMW R 1200 GS with a few farkles.

I'd rather be riding.

Online Edgar

• The ultimate
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2019, 07:53:48 am »

My thoughts too - you may pass the test on a smaller bike but you are only bullsh#$% yourself.

Correct. Also the Dakar has a long 1st gear, so instead of gearing up as I was supposed to do (except on the emergency swerve and stop, where I did) I just kept the bike in 1st gear. You only lose 1 point if you don't gear up.

Online Kortbroek

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2019, 08:48:59 am »
You can just go and book and do the test, however I recommend at least 1 lesson with a school just to learn all the little tricks they look out for.

I'd been riding for years (offroad only) by the time I did my test so borrowed a friends KLR, did 1 lesson to learn all the checks etc and then did the the test on the KLR. Was super easy. In fact I got reprimanded for going to fast (on a klr nogals  :lol8: ).

Oh ja the first time I went to do the test the rear brakelight bulb broke literally as I was about to start the test. Went we did the walkaround it worked, when I started it didn't so I had to leave and do the test on a different day. Even though I was able to just swop out the bulb by buying one just down the road they wouldn't let me test  :dousing:
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 08:54:37 am by Kortbroek »
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Online Edgar

• The ultimate
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2019, 09:58:22 am »
You can just go and book and do the test, however I recommend at least 1 lesson with a school just to learn all the little tricks they look out for.

I'd been riding for years (offroad only) by the time I did my test so borrowed a friends KLR, did 1 lesson to learn all the checks etc and then did the the test on the KLR. Was super easy. In fact I got reprimanded for going to fast (on a klr nogals  :lol8: ).

Oh ja the first time I went to do the test the rear brakelight bulb broke literally as I was about to start the test. Went we did the walkaround it worked, when I started it didn't so I had to leave and do the test on a different day. Even though I was able to just swop out the bulb by buying one just down the road they wouldn't let me test  :dousing:

[/b]

I think the manual states that you are allowed approximately 5 minutes to correct minor defects, but a brake light not working would render the bike unroadworthy, so I suspect that was the reason the test was cancelled.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 09:59:23 am by Edgar »