Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Tips for passing K53  (Read 935 times)

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
Re: Tips for passing K53
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2019, 10:55:12 am »
I did the test today on my BMW Dakar. My reasoning was that this is the bike I actually ride everyday and that I feel comfortable with. Also, if I can't pass the test on the Dakar, I should actually not be riding it.

My thoughts too - you may pass the test on a smaller bike but you are only bullsh#$% yourself.

Another perspective on your comment could be that if you think you are a biker that is ready for the 'real world' after passing that test, you are also bullshitting yourself
 :biggrin:

There is NOTHING in that test that has any real life application (even the emergency stop part of it is controlled)

In my mind the test as it currently is should be to get your learners (to establish if you can handle the bike you are on).
The real test should be in real traffic.
I also have strong opinions and questions regarding why a guy who's had his car license for years should go for a theory test when he wants to get a bike learners, hence why I think the 'yard test' could be the thing that give you the learners.

I realise I am starting to sound like that ou toppie, but 'back in the day' when I got my license (1993) they just split the sizes, so I had to get a code 15 (!)
They had 50cc (code 1), then they 'capped' code 2 to between >50cc and 200cc (or 250), so for a very brief period you had a 'code 15' that was above 250cc

It does not make sense for an 18 year old to get his license on a TW200 and then go and buy a 15 year old R1 and go barreling 260km/h down the road

« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 10:57:14 am by Eisbein »
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Edgar

• The ultimate
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2019, 12:00:26 pm »
I did the test today on my BMW Dakar. My reasoning was that this is the bike I actually ride everyday and that I feel comfortable with. Also, if I can't pass the test on the Dakar, I should actually not be riding it.

My thoughts too - you may pass the test on a smaller bike but you are only bullsh#$% yourself.

Another perspective on your comment could be that if you think you are a biker that is ready for the 'real world' after passing that test, you are also bullshitting yourself

There is NOTHING in that test that has any real life application (even the emergency stop part of it is controlled)

In my mind the test as it currently is should be to get your learners (to establish if you can handle the bike you are on).
The real test should be in real traffic.
I also have strong opinions and questions regarding why a guy who's had his car license for years should go for a theory test when he wants to get a bike learners, hence why I think the 'yard test' could be the thing that give you the learners.

I realise I am starting to sound like that ou toppie, but 'back in the day' when I got my license (1993) they just split the sizes, so I had to get a code 15 (!)
They had 50cc (code 1), then they 'capped' code 2 to between >50cc and 200cc (or 250), so for a very brief period you had a 'code 15' that was above 250cc

It does not make sense for an 18 year old to get his license on a TW200 and then go and buy a 15 year old R1 and go barreling 260km/h down the road

So you are suggesting that the bike license should work more like the system they have in the UK. Here in sunny SA it will upset a lot of guys. Yes the K53 test is perhaps not a real test of your skills as a biker being able to handle the bike in real traffic conditions, but the same goes for the vehicle test. The test is there only to evaluate the minimum skills you should have to ride a bike on a public road.

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2019, 12:20:08 pm »
So you are suggesting that the bike license should work more like the system they have in the UK. Here in sunny SA it will upset a lot of guys. Yes the K53 test is perhaps not a real test of your skills as a biker being able to handle the bike in real traffic conditions, but the same goes for the vehicle test. The test is there only to evaluate the minimum skills you should have to ride a bike on a public road.

Dunno how the UK works, but at least with the car test here you actually drive in traffic with the officer with you
You can easily get a feel if a guy is 'traffic savvy' or not by riding along with him
If the car drivers test was only on a track then I would have had the same comment about that.

Being able to zig zag through cones, go around a corner, stopping and pullaway, incline pullaway and an emergency stop all in an enclosed yard doesn't really show you much about how traffic savvy a guy is.

Having said that - just the fact that you arrived at the testing grounds in one piece might also be enough for the officer

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline BuRP

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2019, 12:54:43 pm »
Eons ago I had to get a local license because my foreign one had expired, and this was at the time that the queues became horrendously long (... still are?).

Went to Rustenburg on my KDX200F (on-road version, licensed etc) where the super-sympathetic examiner was amused that a guy my age came for a test, on a 'crosser' nogals, and we had some fun about this.
He started to inspect the bike - all good but for the license disk missing, a crucial showstopper!
I had one but it was at home, too far & too little time...
The examiner suggested I go quickly rent something in town, so off I went, wheelying & haastig.... to return empty handed, nothing I could find at the various bikeshops.
Then the examiner phoned a friend of him, asking if I could borrow his bike for the test.
I was flabbergasted by this exceptionally friendly & helpful attitude, stunned is actually more correct.
The answer was Yes and next rocks up a Speedcop on his private bike, some oldish 400cc 4-cylinder, fully faired.
'Stunned' took on a new meaning right there, and after thanking both I handed my KDX-key to the man with the remark "Lekker speel, gaan mal, let it rip!" .... as Rtb's Testing Ground is in the middle of a large offroad terrain.
"Nooit" was the reply, "I hate those things and I cannot ride them" ... so I fell off my chair on which I wasn't sitting, we were standing outside.
Anyway, I was taken for the test - which went well but for the fact that I didn't fit on the small thing, I'm a bit lanky.
Somewhere halfway the test I had to do an emergency stop after a hump i.e downhill, and the paving had a white line here.
The examiner warned me to ride just next to the line because otherwise I may lock up the front and that would make me fail obviously.
So I tried but cut it too close, and it locked up twice - but I just caught it and made it exactly to the barrier line, and only here my feet came off the pegs.
He laughed and said 'test over', and waved me to the exit.
There us three had some fun chatting, then I asked the policeman "What do I owe you for your bike?"
"Niks nie", he also found the whole situation funny, but this made me uncomfortable: both guys had gone out of their way to accommodate me because I did not have a license disk on my bike, just fuggen stupid of me!
So I gave them all I had, a few hundred, and thanked them - but they had the audacity to refuse this.
This is where I started to explain my side of all this: this license saved an already booked riding holiday abroad for me, representing quite a lot of money, so I would seriously be insulted if they did not take the money as a big Thank You from me... it was all I could do!
They did - so I left with a loooong wheelie which they asked for  :P ;D

True story!
Some fantastic people in this country  :thumleft:
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2019, 01:13:09 pm »

Indeed !

Offline @offroad

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2019, 01:39:20 pm »

I didn't say that - what I said was that if a person feels they can't pass the test on the bike they normally ride and make use of a smaller bike to do so, then they are misleading themselves into believing they have the skills to manage to the bigger bike.

These skills are the self same one's that a person will need in real world traffic situations you refer to. They are the simply the basic skills of bike management and by using a smaller bike these skills have not been validated for the bike in use.
Colin

2017 BMW R 1200 GS with a few farkles.

I'd rather be riding.

Offline spyker

• Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • Meet the twins!
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2019, 02:30:52 pm »
Eons ago I had to get a local license because my foreign one had expired, and this was at the time that the queues became horrendously long (... still are?).

Went to Rustenburg on my KDX200F (on-road version, licensed etc) where the super-sympathetic examiner was amused that a guy my age came for a test, on a 'crosser' nogals, and we had some fun about this.
He started to inspect the bike - all good but for the license disk missing, a crucial showstopper!
I had one but it was at home, too far & too little time...
The examiner suggested I go quickly rent something in town, so off I went, wheelying & haastig.... to return empty handed, nothing I could find at the various bikeshops.
Then the examiner phoned a friend of him, asking if I could borrow his bike for the test.
I was flabbergasted by this exceptionally friendly & helpful attitude, stunned is actually more correct.
The answer was Yes and next rocks up a Speedcop on his private bike, some oldish 400cc 4-cylinder, fully faired.
'Stunned' took on a new meaning right there, and after thanking both I handed my KDX-key to the man with the remark "Lekker speel, gaan mal, let it rip!" .... as Rtb's Testing Ground is in the middle of a large offroad terrain.
"Nooit" was the reply, "I hate those things and I cannot ride them" ... so I fell off my chair on which I wasn't sitting, we were standing outside.
Anyway, I was taken for the test - which went well but for the fact that I didn't fit on the small thing, I'm a bit lanky.
Somewhere halfway the test I had to do an emergency stop after a hump i.e downhill, and the paving had a white line here.
The examiner warned me to ride just next to the line because otherwise I may lock up the front and that would make me fail obviously.
So I tried but cut it too close, and it locked up twice - but I just caught it and made it exactly to the barrier line, and only here my feet came off the pegs.
He laughed and said 'test over', and waved me to the exit.
There us three had some fun chatting, then I asked the policeman "What do I owe you for your bike?"
"Niks nie", he also found the whole situation funny, but this made me uncomfortable: both guys had gone out of their way to accommodate me because I did not have a license disk on my bike, just fuggen stupid of me!
So I gave them all I had, a few hundred, and thanked them - but they had the audacity to refuse this.
This is where I started to explain my side of all this: this license saved an already booked riding holiday abroad for me, representing quite a lot of money, so I would seriously be insulted if they did not take the money as a big Thank You from me... it was all I could do!
They did - so I left with a loooong wheelie which they asked for  :P ;D

True story!

So you was already bribing cops eons ago?  :imaposer: :imaposer:
Agter osse kom ook in die kraal

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2019, 02:37:12 pm »

I didn't say that - what I said was that if a person feels they can't pass the test on the bike they normally ride and make use of a smaller bike to do so, then they are misleading themselves into believing they have the skills to manage to the bigger bike.

These skills are the self same one's that a person will need in real world traffic situations you refer to. They are the simply the basic skills of bike management and by using a smaller bike these skills have not been validated for the bike in use.

Didn't disagree with you

Just made another comment that yours make me think of

Offline @offroad

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2019, 02:52:53 pm »
Gotcha  :salut:
Colin

2017 BMW R 1200 GS with a few farkles.

I'd rather be riding.

Offline BuRP

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2019, 04:13:09 pm »
So you was already bribing cops eons ago?

Nope, never done & never will - but have pressed corruption charges twice due to being asked for a bribe. Surprisingly effective follow up on this, please note!

But thanking or rewarding someone after the fact is never a bribe - and yeah I know, you're kidding, just to make my point clear.
Hell, if that would be the case then I've bribed a ~6 year old girl who found my lost puppy with R1K... but I gave that to her mom, otherwise I foresaw a sugar rush of epic proportions coming there!  :lol8:
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 04:13:37 pm by BuRP »
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered