Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Tips for passing K53  (Read 1344 times)

Offline Edgar

• The ultimate
  • Local Mods
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Re: Tips for passing K53
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2019, 09:38:57 am »
Many moons ago when I did my K53 I was told i passed by the intructor and to meet him down at the licensing office so he can issue the license. On my way there in my excitement I blasted straight through a stop sign. Dude then told me I failed..  :eek7:

When back 2 weeks later and made sure I stopped and did a "volle observasie" before proceeding.

Jip, never forget that you have to obey all the rules of the road at all times within the DLTC.

There is even a specific section on the score sheet just for that.

Offline Edgar

• The ultimate
  • Local Mods
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2019, 09:40:14 am »
Immediate fail. The test is only over once you have your license in your hand  :imaposer:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2019, 09:45:17 am »
Work on your neck muscles to get them relaxed and extremely supple.

Daai testees moet kwaai heen en weer kan kyk die heeltyd.

Offline MonkeyNot

« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2019, 09:50:24 pm »
Did mine about 6 weeks ago.
Went for 1 lesson and I'm glad that I did.

Yes it's easy but you can also easily fail by making a dumb mistake.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Current: KTM 950 Super Enduro R,  KTM 500 XCW-F
Previous: KTM 990 Adventure, BMW G650 X-Challenge x3,  Yamaha XT 660R,  Honda XR650L, BMW R1200GS

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2019, 06:42:34 am »
I did the test today on my BMW Dakar. My reasoning was that this is the bike I actually ride everyday and that I feel comfortable with. Also, if I can't pass the test on the Dakar, I should actually not be riding it.

My thoughts too - you may pass the test on a smaller bike but you are only bullsh#$% yourself.

Another perspective on your comment could be that if you think you are a biker that is ready for the 'real world' after passing that test, you are also bullshitting yourself
 :biggrin:

There is NOTHING in that test that has any real life application (even the emergency stop part of it is controlled)

In my mind the test as it currently is should be to get your learners (to establish if you can handle the bike you are on).
The real test should be in real traffic.
I also have strong opinions and questions regarding why a guy who's had his car license for years should go for a theory test when he wants to get a bike learners, hence why I think the 'yard test' could be the thing that give you the learners.

I realise I am starting to sound like that ou toppie, but 'back in the day' when I got my license (1993) they just split the sizes, so I had to get a code 15 (!)
They had 50cc (code 1), then they 'capped' code 2 to between >50cc and 200cc (or 250), so for a very brief period you had a 'code 15' that was above 250cc

It does not make sense for an 18 year old to get his license on a TW200 and then go and buy a 15 year old R1 and go barreling 260km/h down the road

So you are suggesting that the bike license should work more like the system they have in the UK. Here in sunny SA it will upset a lot of guys. Yes the K53 test is perhaps not a real test of your skills as a biker being able to handle the bike in real traffic conditions, but the same goes for the vehicle test. The test is there only to evaluate the minimum skills you should have to ride a bike on a public road.

For a 18 year old this makes all the sense in the world! :ricky: :ricky:, and that is why you cannot do it this way in most European countries.

Offline Skeltonsc

« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2019, 09:53:17 am »
One of the Software developers that worked with us did a similar thing he got his learners bought a 600 baby ninja, a few months later he traded it in for a Ducati, then wrote it off on Redstar.

then last month his wife bought him a CBR1000RR, I'm still trying to find out if his wife loves him  >:D >:D >:D >:D I did ask if his life insurance is up to date :deal:

but the lightie can actually ride coming from dirt bikes