Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Commuting - small or big bike?  (Read 858 times)

Offline Omninorm

Re: Commuting - small or big bike?
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2019, 11:52:14 am »
NC for your commute, MAYBE trade up to ABS version as soon as/when circumstances allow?

Yeah NC750X is awesome for commuting. Enough power to be nice on the highway, nice and slim still nimble, good on fuel and has ABS. the frunk is epic. Missed that thing on every bike since. make sure you don't go for the 700. it's amazing what a difference that extra 50CC and slightly higher RPM limit makes.

Then...if you want as much fun in traffic as off road... KTM 690 :D

:laughing4: did you read his post and what he is currently riding  :peepwall:. you are right about the rev limit, it was also changed by the different gearing as the 700 hit the rev limit a bit quickly

I did but somehow missed it...though he was currently thinking of a NC700 not that he currently has one  :biggrin:
Anyway still stays...sell the 700x for the 750x ? abs.
I even did some breakfast runs that 750x and it was more than fine.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 11:52:41 am by Omninorm »
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

The following users thanked this post: Fuzzy Muzzy

Offline JourneySA

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2019, 12:24:49 pm »
all true... mostly itching I think....

I've been on the Nc700x for almost a year now, it is a near perfect commuter.

On paper it doesn't make sense to spend thousands more pm, but it's very easy to "outgrow" the 700 - maybe, like you say, the 750 is a bit more engaging, while retaining all of the NC advantages...

choices choices..

Is the NC your only bike? Do you ride for fun as well or commuting only? If you only commute and you don't ride for fun, buy what will make you smile on your commute. Otherwise keep the NC as the commuter and run it into the ground and add a second bike for recreational riding

Basically the biggest issue me thinks...I sold my Tenere for the NC - 2x toddlers at home makes long dirt rides difficult & the NC is way more suited to the commute.. I'm grateful to be able to ride everyday, but I have to get my kicks from the commute, so ja...

Online Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2019, 12:42:33 pm »

On paper it doesn't make sense to spend thousands more pm, but it's very easy to "outgrow" the 700 - maybe, like you say, the 750 is a bit more engaging, while retaining all of the NC advantages...

choices choices..

Is the NC your only bike? Do you ride for fun as well or commuting only? If you only commute and you don't ride for fun, buy what will make you smile on your commute. Otherwise keep the NC as the commuter and run it into the ground and add a second bike for recreational riding

Basically the biggest issue me thinks...I sold my Tenere for the NC - 2x toddlers at home makes long dirt rides difficult & the NC is way more suited to the commute.. I'm grateful to be able to ride everyday, but I have to get my kicks from the commute, so ja...

You want a smile on your face ? I know the afficionado's will frown on it, but I have to force myself not to use my 1200RT to commute everyday, but rather the little Honda. And that's only 12k each way.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline JourneySA

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2019, 01:09:30 pm »

choices choices..

You want a smile on your face ? I know the afficionado's will frown on it, but I have to force myself not to use my 1200RT to commute everyday, but rather the little Honda. And that's only 12k each way.

ja... a part of me knows that i'll miss a whole heap of things if I change the NC for a less nimble, more thirsty bike..

Online Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2019, 01:14:05 pm »

choices choices..

ja... a part of me knows that i'll miss a whole heap of things if I change the NC for a less nimble, more thirsty bike..

That's the thing about the RT... it may have the appearance of a couch, but it handles like a sports tourer. Light as a feather in traffic, just don't try and lane split. Its fat  :lol8:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline BullFrog

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Previously Naartjie
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2019, 01:16:24 pm »
I've had my NC750X for nearly 6 years now. 73 000 km's odd....

I commute on it every second day as my XRL and VF1000R get their turns on the alternate days.

3 different bikes, three routes...

But the NCX is the only one that is a REAL commuter..
'70 Triumph Bonneville 650 T120, '84 Honda VF 1000 RE, '01 Yamaha YZ 250 N, '12 Honda XR 650 L, '14 Honda NC 750 X

If I REALLY wanted to ride a BMW, I would join the Tshwane Metro.

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2019, 02:23:16 pm »
You need a Z1000 H2 SX.... That distance sounds VERY far and to shorten it only a weapon like the H2SX will be able to annihilate it in any respectable fashion.... ;) :lol8: Plus side is you WILL look forward to going to work EVERY DAY just to ride the damn thing.... :thumleft: ;)

Forget the GS, you are in danger of hurting yourself by falling to sleep on the way to work, then the NC just makes more sense... ;D
Long live the Underdog.........

The following users thanked this post: JourneySA

Online Ganjora

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2019, 02:41:07 pm »
690 SMC R
And that's how you spell commute.
Next question?