Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 125 Scooters Choices  (Read 774 times)

Offline Meteor

125 Scooters Choices
« on: October 26, 2019, 08:03:42 pm »
Seems finding a BWS in good condition -without legend tax- is harder than I thought so I started looking at the newer scoots.

I am in Oudtshoorn so I won't be able to see them all up close and need some help. I am looking at stuff like fitting a helmet under the seat, reliability, build quality, kickstart with electric start.

The Kymco Agility 125 looks good but from all the pics and vids I've seen there isn't much space for your knees.

The Honda Elite looks like the best option but I am not convinced it is a good scooter because I think if Honda puts out a MadeInJapan scooter it would not be sold for R23K.

I am also looking for the Yamaha BWS/Zuma 125 but can't see them on the net, are they available and affordable?

I'd like to stick to 125's because I will be using the scooter every now and again but it will be passed on to me niece soon.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 10:39:26 pm by Meteor »

Offline bonowono

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: 125 Scooters Choices
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 08:47:00 pm »
I have a Kymco Agility which is about 12 years old, the new ones still looks much the same.
I would recommend it any day, excellent quality, had zero issues with it during its 15k km life so far.
Have a look at the Kymco Like also, same motor, just super cool Vespa look alike at a third of the cost.
Iím also thinking of getting one soon.

Offline Meteor

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 09:44:04 pm »
I have a Kymco Agility which is about 12 years old, the new ones still looks much the same.
I would recommend it any day, excellent quality, had zero issues with it during its 15k km life so far.
Have a look at the Kymco Like also, same motor, just super cool Vespa look alike at a third of the cost.
I’m also thinking of getting one soon.
Sherbet so this bike is a oupa already, I didn't know they made them so long.

I looked up the Like and found only one price but it was R35K.

How does the space between your knees and steering feel like? My niece is a tall girl and from the pictures I've seen I am afraid it will feel a uncomfortable trying to keep her knees together.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 10:35:50 pm by Meteor »

Offline Meteor

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 10:25:02 pm »
I found the Suzuki UB125 Bergman and it looks promising but big.

The SYM scooters also look good but I am not sure they are the same quality as the other scooters mentioned. They do have a pretty cool commercial version though, it is called the SYM X-PRO. It has almost double the fuel capacity and a stronger steel frame and suspension for heavier loads at the back...it comes in at about 10kg heavier than the other Sym 125's.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 10:37:36 pm by Meteor »

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 08:54:00 am »
If I may ask, why are you specifically looking for a scooter? Those small wheels right under you are so dangerous.. why are you not looking at the 125cc road bike like a CBR125 or GSX150F,

Have you tried an XR125 as a real alternative to a BWS? They should be cheaper and you get something with real size wheels, not to mention it has to be cheaper and easier to service.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Franky3

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 09:36:34 am »
Also look at the Suzuki Address 110. I've had mine now just over a year and I am still impressed with it.

Offline BuRP

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 09:41:06 am »
Seems finding a BWS in good condition

I have one, red, std with pipe, very good nick - plus have (all new in packaging) a liquid cooled 125cc kit & radiator for it, ditto a better rear shock.
If interested perhaps PM?
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

The following users thanked this post: Meteor

Offline Nimmo

• Let your regrets not be the things you did not do.
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 03:18:12 pm »
Seems finding a BWS in good condition -without legend tax- is harder than I thought so I started looking at the newer scoots.

I am in Oudtshoorn so I won't be able to see them all up close and need some help. I am looking at stuff like fitting a helmet under the seat, reliability, build quality, kickstart with electric start.

The Kymco Agility 125 looks good but from all the pics and vids I've seen there isn't much space for your knees.

The Honda Elite looks like the best option but I am not convinced it is a good scooter because I think if Honda puts out a MadeInJapan scooter it would not be sold for R23K.

I am also looking for the Yamaha BWS/Zuma 125 but can't see them on the net, are they available and affordable?

I'd like to stick to 125's because I will be using the scooter every now and again but it will be passed on to me niece soon.

Nothing wrong with them - you can get a good secon hand one for 12/13 K with under 2000km - good buy and reliable  :thumleft:
CT110,XT250,CX500,R100RS,ZZR400,DR650RS,XT350,K100RS,R1100RS,R1100S,K1200RS,XT350,R1100GS,F650GS,F800GS,XL200,TW200, HP2, KTM 990  :amazon:
Sunset Chalets 082 493 8814

NIMMOíS Ride Reports

Offline Meteor

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 09:47:56 pm »
Seems finding a BWS in good condition

I have one, red, std with pipe, very good nick - plus have (all new in packaging) a liquid cooled 125cc kit & radiator for it, ditto a better rear shock.
If interested perhaps PM?
PM inbound

Offline Meteor

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 09:50:58 pm »
If I may ask, why are you specifically looking for a scooter? Those small wheels right under you are so dangerous.. why are you not looking at the 125cc road bike like a CBR125 or GSX150F,

Have you tried an XR125 as a real alternative to a BWS? They should be cheaper and you get something with real size wheels, not to mention it has to be cheaper and easier to service.
Well from what I've read gears get better Km/L and obviously power but I just can't get over the ease of opening the throttle and going. It has to go to the niece too so no real choice there.
I won't be doing long distance or hauling to much weight so this is purely an exercise in petrol saving with the added bonus of giving my niece something to look forward too.

Offline Meteor

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 09:53:35 pm »
Also look at the Suzuki Address 110. I've had mine now just over a year and I am still impressed with it.
They do have a good price new. I kinda left that one aside because scooters are already slow. Can you get away from cars robot to robot?

Online Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 01:25:28 am »
If I may ask, why are you specifically looking for a scooter? Those small wheels right under you are so dangerous...
Why would the size of wheel make it dangerous?
I put it to you that the average scooter rider is less trained than a motorcycle rider,
so they are less likely to read road surface conditions well - and THAT accounts for any increased accident rate.

The main advantage of a scooter for older and shorter riders is the step-through frame and the tucked away exhaust.
Lady riders find it far easier to use when wearing a skirt or dress.
I believe that if Honda marketed the "Postie" bike here for example, it would sell very well as a scooter alternative - depending on price, of course!

The success of the agricultural type of bike here also shows that area of the market is under-serviced.
A "postie" style bike in 200-250cc as an option would be even better !

« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 01:39:23 am by Fudmucker »
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Franky3

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 09:37:40 am »
They do have a good price new. I kinda left that one aside because scooters are already slow. Can you get away from cars robot to robot?
I have no problem pulling away from cars at the traffic lights. Even uphill. I weigh 106kg.

Offline teebag

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2019, 09:57:31 am »
I want a Cross Cub

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2019, 11:56:40 am »
If I may ask, why are you specifically looking for a scooter? Those small wheels right under you are so dangerous...
Why would the size of wheel make it dangerous?
I put it to you that the average scooter rider is less trained than a motorcycle rider,
so they are less likely to read road surface conditions well - and THAT accounts for any increased accident rate.

The main advantage of a scooter for older and shorter riders is the step-through frame and the tucked away exhaust.
Lady riders find it far easier to use when wearing a skirt or dress.
I believe that if Honda marketed the "Postie" bike here for example, it would sell very well as a scooter alternative - depending on price, of course!

The success of the agricultural type of bike here also shows that area of the market is under-serviced.
A "postie" style bike in 200-250cc as an option would be even better !

Well, I suppose I make an assumption based on my experience riding scooters, its not only the wheel size, smaller wheels = less rubber = less grip., I mean, there are guys on here that debate a 19" wheel vs a 21' wheel for pages and the benefits of such, now you have this tiny wheel with a rake angle of a mine shaft, so the wheel is sitting so close to you when you taking corners.. Maybe I worded it incorrectly, I take it back, its not more dangerous if you intend on town driving at 60km/h.

The question was a legitimate one though.. why would someone buy a scooter over a motorbike? there has to be a reason from someone. Literally the only benefit I can think of is things like fuel economy or that they dont have feet to change gears.

My dad had a Honda Deputy, i'm under correction on the CC size, i think it was a 110 or a 150cc, It wasnt the worst ride of my life because it was basically a semi auto big wheeled bike, but compared to a CBR125 it was not very good.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 12:00:27 pm by Fuzzy Muzzy »
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline FJR

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2019, 02:54:22 pm »

Hi, my old SYM Jet 14 with 1700Km and Shad topbox is for sale at AMS here in PE for R21K. This is a stunning scooter for that price. Let me know if you are interestete and I will send you more info.

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2019, 03:23:37 pm »
Are you allowed to have a pillion on a 125?
Eat life!

Offline Old Bugger

• Silence is better than BULLSH*T
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2019, 04:16:07 pm »
Are you allowed to have a pillion on a 125?
From what I understand, yes.
That is if rider has FULL license, not learner's  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: TeeJay

Online Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2019, 07:33:07 pm »
I want a Cross Cub

You probably DON'T if you want to go off the tar with it...!

The front forks of the high-pipe postie machine are more suitable.
A front disc would so be nicer !
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 07:35:27 pm by Fudmucker »
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline teebag

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2019, 08:02:56 pm »

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk