2019 Tankwa XC race report.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yami 900

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
Firstly......just don’t fall back off your chair and break your backs, for finding me to give some report. Here is a bit on the Tankwa XC 2019.

Yes, it’s been a while, but due to limited Wi-Fi here in Nigeria, my WD page just has issues and all I can do is read. So, I am trying first a word doc and the post, not sure about the pictures, but will see later.

So here goes.

Last year my son(Renier) entered the Tankwa XC 2018 in the High School class.
                                                  A quick report on that.
It was his first GPS race and he was in Matrix writing his last subject, so could not leave in time to get some training or have time to be shown how the GPS works. (As I am working away and not at home)
Time trials was a disaster. His GPS was not set correctly, locked up and just did not want to work correctly and bad luck struck him, his moose and tire came adrift on the rear. He managed to finish by securing his tire with Tie-raps and following bike tracks back.
He finished last, which meant he would depart last on the first stage of the race the next day.
Buff was sweeping the time trials, so he only came in quite late that evening, Junior(Renier) asked Buff to assist with his GPS, as everyone ells said there was something wrong with it. Buff was keeping a eye on Junior while Dad was not around……..not sure if it was a good idea? As I am sure there was some “cold drinks” involved. Buff sorted Junior’s GPS out for the next day’s race. Droomers Yamaha replaced rear tire and moose, so everything was good to go for the start of the race.
Buff has a good hart and watched Junior grow up and knows him from when he starting on an YZ85 and to where he is today…..now Junior smokes him(well, all of us ou toppies) all the way! LOL.
Next day, Junior departed last with a high spirit.
He managed to finish the first stage by coming in third. Second day, Junior came in second. I was kept informed by friends of everything, 4800km away, every day via whatsapps when available and sms. Great for technology and feeling part of this. Just wished I was there and not working.
Last day, Junior was ready, he was wanting to prove a point and make a statement. Well he did. He finished First on the last day.
Overall he managed a third place in his class for the Tankwa XC 2018. He was hooked to this kind of racing. Said to me after the event, he wants to do 2019.
Only long after the Tankwa race, did I hear of all the high speed offs. But that did not bother him at all, only me!

So here goes. (He managed to convince me he should enter)

Tankwa 2019

I was quite fortunate to make plans here at work to be off for this big event. So while being abroad, there was a lot of planning to be done. I even talked my wife (Worth-It) to enter the Ladies and to be part of this and make it an family outing.
Clive and I also chatted and discussed that I bring the Bumble Bee/Tranformer (side-by-side. Yamaha YXZ 1000cc) aka Bug, to assist and Marshal. This was a great opportunity and as well as a privilege to be part of this and to see and do what other just dream of.
Bikes needed to be collected, prepped and serviced and tires and mooses to be fitted on both bikes. Junior on a 2019 Yamaha, 250FX and Worth-It on a 2013 Honda, CRF 230. Special care was taken on tire choice and a Big thanks to Droomers Yamaha.
The 250FX managed the complete the three day Tankwa race on ONE rear tire and moose and still looked like it could do another three day race.
The Bug was also in ICU @ Droomers and needed some major TLC, as I had a gearbox issue that needed some parts from Japan. Again Droomers managed to pull some strings and the Bug was fixed before I arrived back in SA and for the Tankwa.
I could not wait to leave Nigeria and head home, to be part of this, time here went very slow.
Well, sort of, as constant whatsapps and phonecalls, back and forth, to sort out arrangements and things from this side, does take some skill and made the time fly.

When I arrived back in home in SA, I had to get two vehicles packed. The Land Cruiser was going to tow the Companion camper and the Quantum Van with bikes and towing the Bee on a trailer. Yes!! The camper was one of the conditions Worth-It said she will join, we stay in our five star camper and don’t have to worry about packing everything, as the camper is always ready and has everything in, even our own shower, kitchen and fridge.
Bikes were loaded in the Van, Bug was loaded on the trailer.
Headed lastly off to the petrol station, 5k later filling all the fuel drums for the race, I know some eyes were rolling seeing that figure…….but do you put a price on having a joll?? There were a few liters that came back.

We left a day before the race, so we could have a spot under the trees, as we all know….The Tankwa Karoo can get very hot during the day and cold at night.
We headed out on the N7 the long way round, we did not want to have any tire issues.  We opted to enter the Tankwa from the northern side, with less gravel road to travel. We took it slow and managed to meet up with the Droomers Yamaha convoy on the way. Buff was trailing as if on holiday and sightseeing.
Traveling on the N7 this time of the year is something to experience. When you open up your window, you smell the Citrus, clean and fresh. I was joking with Junior and made as if I was getting my underarms vented with the fresh toilet spray from outside.

We arrived at Rooiputs around midday and unhitched everything and started unpacking, Companion set up, solar panels out, awnings opened and offloaded the bikes and the Bug and assisted getting the Droomers Yamaha Pits up and ready. And in-between fixing a puncture on a Hilux. (Buff picked one up a nice Tankwa klippie in his rear tyre, as he drove into the camping spot)

Later that evening I met up with Clive and the other Marshalls to hear what was needed to do. I was asked to go out early morning with Crossed-up, to open up all the gates for the First stage race with the Bug. So who will say no to this? I was also going to have fun…….well, test the Bug for what it’s made for and see the Tankwa for what it is.

Next morning, before everyone ells was up and ready, son not even showing itself yet, Crossed-up and myself, left around 6am to go and open farm gates. The weather was quite nippy and fresh. Thou it was cold, the adrenalin kept us warm.
Not sure if Crossed-up was quite ready for this….he likes to ride slow and relaxed on two wheels and be in control. And now he was stuck with me and in the Bug! And if you know me….Balls to the wall all the way.
If you haven’t been in the Bug, you would never know what it is like. This yellow transformer (Bumble Bee), pure 1000cc of adrenalin machine that just does not know where the end is of the revs, Transforms your face into a big happy, smiley face. We managed to open up all the gates and return before the first stage started. We managed to get some air, dodge holes, drift sideways and did about everything one would want to…Ha ha ha.
When Crossed-up climbed out the Bug at Race Control, everyone was quite surprised on his facial expression. Not sure if it was from fear or pure fun. Sure Crossed-up will pitch in on this later……

When I met up with Junior, asked on how the time trials went. He said went great and had fun, said he is lying second (Racing Gold class on a 250FX), then I knew, he is going to show off, AGAIN!!
I watched as everyone left Race Control, even Worth-It on her 230CFR, being the last person to leave. We both decided that she was only going to do it for the fun, experience and just to be part of it.
She was more than a year last active riding on her off-road bike, as work commitment took a lot of her time and also supporting Junior with his year of Off-road and Enduro Racing. And well, she bought herself a 700GS which we do quite of outings together when I am back home.

As everyone had left, Wouter (Droomers Yamaha mechanic) and myself left for the outside DSP point with the Bug. Well to say, we both had fun getting there, all in one piece.

Junior was on the gas, lying second when we assisted with the refueling at the DSP
At the end of day one, he finished second in his class.
Worth-It was lying forth in her class. I take my hat off for this women, she managed to ride the whole day and still finish! She has never even played with a GPS, only one was in her car, which is quite different than the E-trex. And then to still follow tracks and concentrate on keeping a Honda 230 upright! And as said, hasn’t been riding as much.

If you haven’t done the Tankwa XC, one can’t explain to others what an Experience and Privilege it is to ride in the Tankwa. We not talking about the normal gravel roads, but in the vast open plains, two spoor roads, in the Mountains with awesome views and …….stones, rocks, pebbles, more stones, more rocks.
It’s an ADVENTURE!

After playing with the Bug, we decided to return back to Race Control. We managed to meet up with the front runners, one being Junior, still lying second. Personally I think it’s crazy, doing speeds of 140+ km/h in tracks like that on a 250FX? Lurkers, rocks, ruts, you name it, it’s there and to stay on your bike at those speeds? Well not sure if I have the skill for it, but then Junior has my genes, so sure it must come from somewhere?
Junior finished second for day one.
Worth-It managed to finish day one. 180km of riding. I was more than surprised she finished and with a smile. I was so proud of this lady, she is a super start, Well Worth It!

We all relaxed, chilled and hanged out under the shade and chatted about the days event. Bikes were prepped, filled and fuel cans filled and made ready for the next days race, Bug was also refueled, quite thirsty…..but then it can only be due to my heavy foot on the gas. Briefing was held and next days race was discussed. Marshals meeting was held just after briefing and the rest of the evening was, Kak praat en just enjoying the vibe Tankwa stile.

Day 2

I watched all the bikes leave Race Control as today the Bug was going to sweep and close farm gates on stage 2. I went out with Clive’s son (Kevin). He also could not believe what the Bug was capable of doing. When he got back to Race Control at the end of our day, said to Clive he is selling all his stuff and he is buying one.

On stage 2, when we arrived at the first gate to close it, we had the complete ladies group coming from the front. Wondered if we took the wrong route and missed something, we did not know what was wrong? After talking to the riders and Clive via radio to Race Control, the problem was sorted, we needed to head a little bit further down the road and then turn off the road, which we all seem to miss on our GPS routes. As soon as  everything was conveyed over, they sped of like mad men, well women…..….LOL All we were left with was dust in our faces.
We closed the gate and we thought we were going to be hang up with the ladies. Well….wasn’t I wrong. To close gates and try and keep up, was a mission and I made it part of the challenge. So this meant, pedal to the metal and drive/race to stay with them.
We were privileged to sweep one of the section of the track which would take a 4x4 about the whole day. It was tight twisties, two spoor tracks, sometimes open plains, dry river beds. With this all, we saw the other side of the Tankwa, Green grass, green trees. Quite different to what you see just other side of the mountain back at Rooiputs. We got to one rutted section where it was quite technical for a 4wheel to cross, but we managed. Lucky did not damage the Bug as there was still quite some km to do for the day. My only concern was getting a side wall cut, as the rocks sticking out from the sides were not going to be forgiving and there were lurkers around every corner.
Well, as they say, some fun does come to an end.
Quarter way through, the Bug picked up a bad slice in the side-wall on the rear wheel. We patched and pumped way too many times and the day was becoming long. Being on the side-wall makes it very difficult for the plugs to stay in, due to the amount of movement and also the tire gets pumped up to only 1.2bar. I then opted to call it quits when we met up with the other Marshals who were sweeping the last section of the track.
We limped home, with the odd speed and drifting, hell….one can only do it once, so do it properly!

At Rooiputs, I pulled the rear off and undid the bead lock, tried to put a gator patch in form the inside. Well, there wasn’t much success to that. The tire stayed inflated, but could see that it was not going to last if I was going to race around like a mad man.
I then took the Cruiser and headed to DSP points to see how everyone was doing. Managed to see Junior next to the road, again pinning it all the way. I hung around for a few minutes and headed back to Race Control to see Junior finish.
Again he came in second, smiling and feeling great after about 400km on the bike. The bike was still in one piece, everything was running 100% and he was feeling great.

I then headed off to a little room at RC, where they were track everyone out in the field. I was surprised on seeing all what Clive has done to make sure each one was safe on the Tankwa XC, as competitors marshals and support crew were scattered over a fast area. Clive had really made every effort to make this one of the best races on the calendar. Everyone should think on doing it, even if you do it just for the Adventure.

Later on the afternoon whiles hanging out in the pits, Worth-It came in. I was a bit shocked, how could it be? What’s wrong? After removing her helmet, I asked if she was OK. She said she had quite a few offs at one section on a mountain and just could not get up over it, the 230 just did not want to work with her (Thinking back, she said if she would have had a better mind she should have gone down and started from the bottom to have more momentum). The bike flipped quite a few times on her and she fell on her head as well. With spending an hour there she was hoping that I would pitch up, as I was the sweeper and could assist her getting it over. She opted to sit down and wait. With being tracked by Race Control, they dispatched a Marshall who was close by as she was stationary for quite a long period. When he arrived to assist, Worth-It said due to having a few hits to the head, she would rather not continue as she did not feel 100%.

Even thou Worth-It did not complete the race. In my books she did quite well. She has done more than what others would dream on doing and she did it on a 230 Honda.
She went to see medics and was diagnosed with mild concussion. So was a good thing she did not continue.

The evening was the same as previous, only difference was, that everyone was early to bed as the body was taking the brunt of long days on the bike.

Day 3

Everyone seem to take things in a much slower manner, nobody was in a rush. Some faces were showing the extreme of two days race in the sun and dust.
Junior on the other had was all excited. He was wanting to try and make up some time on the No1 (Team mate) and put pressure on him, maybe get a first place.
When front markers left Race Control, Worth-It and I left for the outside DSP with the Cruiser. On the way there, we saw a few bikes coming from the front next to the road, I was shocked to see Junior being one of them. They must have taken the wrong track. Now I was worried, two days of good racing can be messed up in a split second.

Arrived at DSP point and waited for the front runners, wasn’t long after Gold open class, Dave Ellis was spotted in the distance. Man this guy is a rocket on a bike!
Not long after we spotted a Yami in the distance. It was No1 full throttle coming in for fuel. A Quick chat to him, also said he made the same mistake. Now I felt a bit better, Junior should then be in soon. Well 2minute later, Junior was pinning it. Did not have much to say, he was more worried about something in his back. Eddy from Eddy2Race assisted, there was a thorn in between his shirt and skin poking him on his back. Removed thorn, tank filled and off he went. Still lying second.

We the left the DSP point and headed back to Race Control. On the way back to RC, I lost my awning off the side of the Cruiser. Made a nice dent in the rear door. Awning looked as if it went through some serious thorn trees. I was quite fortunate that some picked it up for me as I did not even hear or see it fall off.
After some time, No1 arrived and said Junior was just behind him. Yes, Junior was hot on his heels.
Smiles all the way. He came to prove a point and mark his territory.
I was so proud of him. All the time and effort, gym and riding off-road and putting it all in to accomplish what he wanted to do. Even thou not a first place. He was someone who kept his cool, rode consistent and putting pressure on No1 from day one.
He made me a very proud father, we both were having smiley faces.
In fact, I was a proud father and husband, having a family who can enjoy this with and being part of the outdoors and racing and doing it together.

We opted to stay over that night for prize giving and only leave the following day, as we were in no rush to return back home. Being fortunate that I still had a week to go before returning back to work.
At prize giving that evening when Junior received his prize for second place in Gold class, this young man gave a speech, which almost gave me tears in my eyes. This young man is quite shy and does not like to be in the lime light. He stood up there and thanked his pit team, Droomers Yamaha and also us, his parents for supporting him in his races through the year and making this possible for him. And to all that made the Tankwa event possible.
Man o MAN! Was I proud!!

Forgot to add this in. Junior came 4th in Open class overall.

Next morning we packed up slowly and headed back home. In a way, we did not want to, something about the Tankwa just wants you to stay behind.

Final.
If you like an Adventure off-road bike race, do the Tankwa XC. It’s not about what bike you have, it’s not about the money or what you have.
It’s an experience. It’s you and the Tankwa Karoo.

Clive and his Team puts a well-organized race even together. Safety come first and also the wellbeing of the farmers property. Without them, there is no such race.