Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Shipping from USA  (Read 1160 times)

Online BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
Re: Shipping from USA
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2019, 09:37:31 am »
just a point of clarity here, since people MAY be using 'UPS' inter-changeably...

USPS - very efficient - is  the United States Postal Service, and interface with SAPO...

UPS is also very efficient - United Parcel Services. (multi-national package delivery service, etc).

Cheers
Chris

I thought that is what I clarified  :lol8:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2019, 06:13:51 pm »
Hello!

A friend of mine found some rare bits, that needs to ship to SA.

One is a frame with swing-arm, and the other an old single cylinder 2-stroke engine.

Any leads on what would be the best (cheapest) way to get it here?

UPS is the most reliable and largest shipper in the world........by far.

The items will need to be containerized to withstand a 4 foot drop.
The engine must be dry and free from residue.
Don't forget to declare a value and write down phone numbers for the shipper and consignee.
There will be brokerage charges due on your end once the package arrives.
Marking the merchandise as a gift may save you some hassle on the ZA side.
Brokerage fees and international shipping aren't cheap  :biggrin:

Yes, USPS is great.

But the USPS will hand it over to the SAPO (SA post orifice) who WILL fuck it all up.  :deal:  :xxbah:

Hence having to use a courier service to keep the stuff out of the thieving hands of the SAPO  :deal:

It's all Zog's fault this got phucked up  :imaposer:

At no time did I recommend the United States Postal Service (USPS), for international shipping.  Shipping within the continental US is fine, anything internationally is risky, Imo, with the US Postal Service.

I would always recommend a global shipper when shipping anything from the USA to ANY other country and out of those international shippers, I would encourage you to use the largest, most efficient, and reliable shipper in the shipping business, United Parcel Service (UPS), a company that began as a bicycle courier company in Seattle, Washington, in 1907 by proprietors, Jim Casey and Claude ?, with, you won't believe this, a $100 loan. 

One hundred and thirteen years later, they are the largest private shipping company in the world, when I left years and years go, the company was then estimated to be worth in excess of 65 billion usd! 

EDIT:  As of October 2018, UPS has a market capitalization of $90.6 billion dollars.  Not bad for a company that began with a hundred dollar bill.

I have a pension coming someday, so please do your part and support a fellow WD by using UPS :pot: :imaposer:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 06:17:00 pm by big oil »
Iím da Yooper, eh and I like to party...

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2019, 03:05:56 am »
Hello!

A friend of mine found some rare bits, that needs to ship to SA.

One is a frame with swing-arm, and the other an old single cylinder 2-stroke engine.

Any leads on what would be the best (cheapest) way to get it here?

UPS is the most reliable and largest shipper in the world........by far.

The items will need to be containerized to withstand a 4 foot drop.
The engine must be dry and free from residue.
Don't forget to declare a value and write down phone numbers for the shipper and consignee.
There will be brokerage charges due on your end once the package arrives.
Marking the merchandise as a gift may save you some hassle on the ZA side.
Brokerage fees and international shipping aren't cheap  :biggrin:

Yes, USPS is great.

But the USPS will hand it over to the SAPO (SA post orifice) who WILL fuck it all up.  :deal:  :xxbah:

Hence having to use a courier service to keep the stuff out of the thieving hands of the SAPO  :deal:

It's all Zog's fault this got phucked up  :imaposer:

At no time did I recommend the United States Postal Service (USPS), for international shipping.  Shipping within the continental US is fine, anything internationally is risky, Imo, with the US Postal Service.

I would always recommend a global shipper when shipping anything from the USA to ANY other country and out of those international shippers, I would encourage you to use the largest, most efficient, and reliable shipper in the shipping business, United Parcel Service (UPS), a company that began as a bicycle courier company in Seattle, Washington, in 1907 by proprietors, Jim Casey and Claude ?, with, you won't believe this, a $100 loan. 

One hundred and thirteen years later, they are the largest private shipping company in the world, when I left years and years go, the company was then estimated to be worth in excess of 65 billion usd! 

EDIT:  As of October 2018, UPS has a market capitalization of $90.6 billion dollars.  Not bad for a company that began with a hundred dollar bill.

I have a pension coming someday, so please do your part and support a fellow WD by using UPS :pot: :imaposer:

:peepwall:  guilty as charged  :peepwall:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: big oil

Offline BuRP

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2019, 09:38:43 am »
Too much sex wax Zog, you're forgiven....  :P
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2019, 02:13:23 am »
Too much  not enough sex wax Zog, you're forgiven....  :P

fixed  :peepwall:  :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2019, 09:27:27 am »
If you want it, do not want to search/wait forever for it whilre SAPO gets involved, just spend the peace of mind and go DHL/Fedex...  ;) :thumleft:
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline DavidMorrisXp

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2019, 09:36:31 am »
Aside from which courier to use.

Anything secondhand with a value exceeding R500--00 requires an Import Permit

Secondly since freight is charged by volume versus weight, whichever is the greater, it may be advisable to pack it carefully.  I would put the frame in a box or crate then pack stuff in the empty middle part of the frame. 
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

The following users thanked this post: EttienneT

Offline BuRP

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2019, 10:55:22 am »
Too much  not enough sex wax Zog, you're forgiven....  :P

fixed

Oh dear!  :eek7:
I hope you're still friends with that guy?

:peepwall:
 :lol8:
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

Offline BuRP

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2019, 10:59:33 am »
I would put the frame in a box or crate then pack stuff in the empty middle part of the frame.

Nooit man, the dogs will sniff that stuff out, or their scanners will trigger alarms, and then he'll get visitors he didn't invite or will like!

:peepwall:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 01:50:48 pm by BuRP »

Offline shanestevens

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2019, 01:45:51 pm »
Using a courier will cost a fortune, you pay per kg or per volume, whichever is the greater, the frame will be volumetric due to the size.
All used, secondhand goods require import permits, obtainable from ITAC at a cost of R 900 per permit.
Get hold of a clearing agent in your town, local is also good as most clearing agents have overseas offices. They can arrange for collection, crating, forwarding, customs clearance and delivery.You may also have to register as an importer / exporter (comulsory if the value is over R50 000)
Be prepared, this will not be cheap. (clearing agent / forwarding agent / customs broker - maybe get a quote or two first)

Offline WNaude

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2019, 02:06:55 pm »
I recently bought a 2nd hand clutch pressure plate on Ebay from the states via USPS.

On the tracking tool it says it will be delivered 20 November.

Does that mean delivered to me or delivered to my nearest post office or delivered to South Africa?

So the 20th November is just a date to get me all excited? I won't actually receive the part on that day!!
I don't ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days!

1982 R100RS, 1980 XR250, 1982 XR500R,

Offline lukestrugnell

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2019, 02:12:57 pm »
Using a courier will cost a fortune, you pay per kg or per volume, whichever is the greater, the frame will be volumetric due to the size.
All used, secondhand goods require import permits, obtainable from ITAC at a cost of R 900 per permit.
Get hold of a clearing agent in your town, local is also good as most clearing agents have overseas offices. They can arrange for collection, crating, forwarding, customs clearance and delivery.You may also have to register as an importer / exporter (comulsory if the value is over R50 000)
Be prepared, this will not be cheap. (clearing agent / forwarding agent / customs broker - maybe get a quote or two first)

Most of the courier companies do that all for you, DHL and UPS are pretty efficient at it and I have only ever had a few mistakes with wrong tariff codes that were fairly easy to fix.

Online Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2019, 12:04:56 am »
I recently bought a 2nd hand clutch pressure plate on Ebay from the states via USPS.
Does that mean delivered to me or delivered to my nearest post office or delivered to South Africa?
So the 20th November is just a date to get me all excited? I won't actually receive the part on that day!!

USPS will deliver to SAPO by 20 November.
All mail goes into a clearing office at OR Tambo Airport.
There they work out the duty payable on behalf of SARS and then send it to your local PO.
That PO sends you a slip to collect, with duty payable.
From my experience of SAPO clearing office, add 6 - 8 weeks for anything from EU or USA.
From China it seems to go straight through...!
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Online BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2019, 05:52:36 am »

USPS will deliver to SAPO by 20 November.
All mail goes into a clearing office at OR Tambo Airport.
There they work out the duty payable on behalf of SARS and then send it to your local PO.
That PO sends you a slip to collect, with duty payable.
From my experience of SAPO clearing office, add 6 - 8 weeks for anything from EU or USA.
From China it seems to go straight through...!

SARS has had an enormous backlog that has caused the delays - mostly caused by the insane mount of Chinese shyte being imported off Wish, Aliexpress, Banggood etc. We are talking about container loads - each container with upward to 1000 post office bags each with about 1000 parcels therein ....  SARS has now made a decision to charge a standard once off duty on small parcels (I think it is R48 or thereabouts) ... that is why Chinkshyte is being processed a bit faster (the backlog mountain needed to be cleared first). All mail then goes to the central SAPO sorting facility in Gauteng where there is another mountain and lots of 'sorting hands' ... before being sent to regional sorting facilities where the process is repeated ...  ::)
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline lukestrugnell

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2019, 06:55:49 am »
Update on my bash plate via Aramex Global Shopper. Weight was 5.9lbs and cost to ship from USA to JHB was R770.

Awaiting customs clearance.

Sent from my BV5800 PRO using Tapatalk

Online 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2019, 09:03:04 am »
Interesting point by Fudmucker about Chinese imports going straight through[seemingly].

I have a friend in Stellenbosch who orders big amounts of everything from all over the globe, and his experience is the same. As he is not pressed for time and the items re often inexpensive, he imports the

SAPO way.  Invariably, anything from China gets released much sooner than from any other country.

It does seem that SA has some agreement regarding Chinese imports?

Online Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2019, 09:18:58 am »
My item was a novelty motorcycle helmet @ US$12-95 with free shipping.
Landed here in 6 weeks and I only paid VAT at SAPO.
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline lukestrugnell

« Reply #37 on: Yesterday at 12:47:35 pm »
Bash Plate delivered today.

So total was R1056 for shipping and customs VAT.

Arrived at Aramex facility on 08/11/19 and delivered today 21/11/19.

There was a few days delay as they had my importers code wrong.

So not the quickest or cheapest but I got a great bashplate for cheaper than a local one.

Offline WNaude

« Reply #38 on: Yesterday at 02:11:07 pm »

So I received my package yesterday on the 20th. Only used USPS. Right on time. Very impressed. Took only 4 weeks from ordering.
I don't ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days!

1982 R100RS, 1980 XR250, 1982 XR500R,