Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BEST bike for African trip options  (Read 2510 times)

Offline geopat

Re: BEST bike for African trip options
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2019, 07:51:23 pm »
Lyndon positracing modified ktm 690 factory rally only problem is I dont have enough kidneys to sell

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2019, 08:44:55 pm »
Lyndon positracing modified ktm 690 factory rally only problem is I dont have enough kidneys to sell

Drastic overkill, of course Lyndon is forced to ride this bike as he also races on it.

It may not matter for some, but for me cost matters. Go price a piston kit for Lyndon's bike. :eek7:

The following users thanked this post: XRRX

Offline geopat

« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2019, 02:06:16 pm »

Drastic overkill, of course Lyndon is forced to ride this bike as he also races on it.

It may not matter for some, but for me cost matters. Go price a piston kit for Lyndon's bike. :eek7:

Yeha I liked the idea of a nova racing gearbox for the 690 till I saw the price at over 40k yikes not for me

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2019, 02:18:11 pm »
I would take anything I like. Which many have done, there is enough examples of this being done on big bikes as well as on scooters.

Okay almost anything, maybe not a ducati

I would have taken MY previous GSA as I would take my current 1190. I would actually like to enjoy the trip as well.

But it would have to be mine, as that I know what is the weak points and have addressed them.
The same technical know how the old balies have and have them hooting for a carburettor bike, can be had on more modern bikes and applied on them for longer trips as well.

Oh, and wasn't this done in 8 days already by an 1190  :ricky: :ricky:
(Not very technical I know)
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Offroadrider

« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2019, 06:40:43 am »
Make a list of what you need the bike to do

1) Reliable
2) economical
3) crash well
4)Easy to maintain
5)Access to spares
etc

Then make a decision, also look at what you are going to carry and check the net for reliability issues and issues that people have on certain EFI bikes with shitty low grade fuel.

Offline Offside

• Bike: Yamaha XT600
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2019, 08:15:19 am »
I would take anything I like. Which many have done, there is enough examples of this being done on big bikes as well as on scooters.

I would have taken MY previous GSA as I would take my current 1190. I would actually like to enjoy the trip as well.

But it would have to be mine, as that I know what is the weak points and have addressed them.
The same technical know how the old balies have and have them hooting for a carburettor bike, can be had on more modern bikes and applied on them for longer trips as well.

Greatest bike to ride that I have owned is 660 Tenere.
It developed an intermittent electrical problem with under 20k on the clock.
Only option was to trade it in. What option does an old ballie have.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2019, 08:42:49 am »

Greatest bike to ride that I have owned is 660 Tenere.
It developed an intermittent electrical problem with under 20k on the clock.
Only option was to trade it in. What option does an old ballie have.

Mmmm

You had me wondering for a moment there if I was wrong. As I remembered the shaft that went on my first GS. Instant DNF in Namibia and I see them as a timebomb. No warning.
But I think like in your case with a bike with reputation of being reliable, that there is a certain % of risk that goes with an expedition ride, no amount of bike researching or such would eliminate that 0.1 to 2% (random figures in my head) chance of a DNF.

AC GS has the shaft, I think I would rather take my 1190, more stuff with a risk with a not-as-solid reputation, but all of these things will warn you.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2019, 09:54:22 am »
I was once having my bike serviced and asked the guy doing the job what he would use to tour up Africa.
He said a VStrom 650 with a set of knobblies on.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Grunder

• "bery bery serious...
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2019, 10:13:21 am »
There is only one guy who can truly answer this question!!

@schalk vd merwe
Muscles can't buy mad dog!

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2019, 12:05:50 pm »
I was once having my bike serviced and asked the guy doing the job what he would use to tour up Africa.
He said a VStrom 650 with a set of knobblies on.

Sjoe I don't know. I had a VStrom 1000 and the suspension is more road focused.
Its reliable (mine wasn't) but there is also not that big dealer network or aftermarket support as with other options mentioned.
New shape looks great though, guess with the money saved you could do a suspension upgrade

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2019, 12:50:11 am »
The common mistake most make when planning an Africa trip is that it is wild and rough roads etc
Little do extreme Africa like the Congo.
If you plan to do Africa you will be surprised to learn that the main roads are well maintained and that you can do Captown to Cairo on a normal roadbike.
People living in Africa are using 125 and 150cc Chinese road bikes and that is taxis as well.
Take into consideration the low octane petrol and I would once again suggest something like a DR650, a KLR650, XTR or XTZ660 and GS650.
If you travel light a XRL250 or the Rally....

Keep in mind once again; fair road conditions all the way and lots of speed restrictions = 80km/h.

Although I have nothing against BMW 1200's (actually  like them  :3some: ) it will be the last bike on my list

Online dw1

« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2019, 09:24:54 pm »
Best bike to do it with is the one you have in your garage
Current KTM 950 Adv, R80G/S x 2, TW200,  DR200 Djebel,, XR500R
Previous: YAM AG175, BSA Lightning 650, XT500, KAWA KZ1300, XR500R, VF750-4 BMW K100, WR45,0 DR650 x 2,  XT600 Tenere, XR200,

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Offside

• Bike: Yamaha XT600
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2019, 07:59:29 am »
The common mistake most make when planning an Africa trip is that it is wild and rough roads etc
Little do extreme Africa like the Congo.
If you plan to do Africa you will be surprised to learn that the main roads are well maintained and that you can do Captown to Cairo on a normal roadbike.
People living in Africa are using 125 and 150cc Chinese road bikes and that is taxis as well.
Take into consideration the low octane petrol and I would once again suggest something like a DR650, a KLR650, XTR or XTZ660 and GS650.
If you travel light a XRL250 or the Rally....

Keep in mind once again; fair road conditions all the way and lots of speed restrictions = 80km/h.

Although I have nothing against BMW 1200's (actually  like them  :3some: ) it will be the last bike on my list

Also most, if not all those 125 and 150's are single cylinder, air cooled and carburetted.

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2019, 05:19:28 pm »
There is only one guy who can truly answer this question!!

@schalk vd merwe

Hi Grunder thanks for the faith in my opinion. I think all of us are a little bias and will obviously recommend the bike we are riding. I have been 3 times through Africa with my Yamaha XT 660 R and had no major problems. I would recommend a bike in the 650 range as you can forget about speeding through Africa. I think the other good options are BMW Dakar, Kawasaki KLR or the KLE, Suzuki DR or the Honda 650. Other people are scared of fuel injection but I had no problems. The reason I chose my bike is that when you go high altitude like I am going to do next year in South America then my bike automatically adjust its timing and fuel injection. Thus you don't have the high altitude problems that a lot of bikes will suffer with.
I just housed a young Swiss couple who is traveling around the world as well and they are on the same bikes than me. The one bike has already done 150 000 km trouble free. I would choose the XT 660 R over the 660 Z as the R has longer shock travel for off road conditions and is lighter as well. To travel light is the name of the game if you are going to travel off road and dirt roads. Hope this will help a bit.   
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 05:28:58 pm by schalk vd merwe »
1/The only way to get experience is to get experience-Schalk                
2/Ride Reports>Long Tours>Africa Tour To The Equator And Back In 40 Days
3/A stranger is just a friend you have not met yet
4/Whatever you vividly imagine, ardently desire, sincerely believe in and enthusiastically act upon must come to past-Paul J Mayer
5/Use the rocks in the your way to build stepping stones-Herman Zapp

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2019, 05:24:37 pm »
Schalk, you are a man to my liking....... :thumleft: :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: schalk vd merwe

Offline Sabre

« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2019, 08:47:30 pm »
Best bike to do it with is the one you have in your garage

Emilio Scotto circumnavigated the globe twice on a Honda Goldwing, covering a total of 500 000 miles (his book is titled "The longest ride"). And he went on dirt roads and through swamps with that bike.
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline Sabre

« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2019, 08:52:15 pm »
Schalk, you are a man to my liking....... :thumleft: :thumleft:

Agree 100% !
When are we getting a follow-up book ?
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Online dw1

« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2019, 09:02:30 pm »
Bruce Smart rode his GSX around the world in 2014
76000KM
Current KTM 950 Adv, R80G/S x 2, TW200,  DR200 Djebel,, XR500R
Previous: YAM AG175, BSA Lightning 650, XT500, KAWA KZ1300, XR500R, VF750-4 BMW K100, WR45,0 DR650 x 2,  XT600 Tenere, XR200,

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2019, 09:06:34 pm »
Africa not like it was in the dark ages. It has roads an any decent dual sport should have no problem.

But if it were me I would be on a 250 rally
Africa ain't for sissies hey.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2019, 09:18:21 pm »
Africa not like it was in the dark ages. It has roads an any decent dual sport should have no problem.

But if it were me I would be on a 250 rally

Given enough time, I would take Yamaha's XT250, an air-cooled and fuel-injected bike.