Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BEST bike for African trip options  (Read 2511 times)

Offline Sabre

Re: BEST bike for African trip options
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2019, 09:29:22 pm »
Bruce Smart rode his GSX around the world in 2014
76000KM
That bike has a tough sub frame  :thumleft:
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2019, 07:49:45 am »
Schalk, you are a man to my liking....... :thumleft: :thumleft:

Agree 100% !
When are we getting a follow-up book ?
Hi Sabre to do a book and self publish it is very expensive. It will probably cost the same than my trip from South America to Alaska. I am still in two minds. Then again I thought of making a self made movie of the trip complete with drone footage and sell it to channel 147. The down side of that again would be that every one would know your face in South Africa and that would be a down side. Don't know yet must think about it.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 07:55:11 am by schalk vd merwe »
1/The only way to get experience is to get experience-Schalk                
2/Ride Reports>Long Tours>Africa Tour To The Equator And Back In 40 Days
3/A stranger is just a friend you have not met yet
4/Whatever you vividly imagine, ardently desire, sincerely believe in and enthusiastically act upon must come to past-Paul J Mayer
5/Use the rocks in the your way to build stepping stones-Herman Zapp

Offline Sabre

« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2019, 09:29:54 am »

Agree 100% !
Hi Sabre to do a book and self publish it is very expensive. It will probably cost the same than my trip from South America to Alaska. I am still in two minds. Then again I thought of making a self made movie of the trip complete with drone footage and sell it to channel 147. The down side of that again would be that every one would know your face in South Africa and that would be a down side. Don't know yet must think about it.

Greame & Luisa Bell e-publish their books themselves. (You should find them on Google). Apparently Amazon takes the biggest chunk of the money if you do it through them.

I think self publishing e-books is the way to go
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2019, 11:43:05 am »
Bruce Smart rode his GSX around the world in 2014
76000KM

I think if he did the trip again he would enjoy it much more on something like a VStrom 1000. Just the upright seating position is a good start.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2019, 04:04:21 pm »

Agree 100% !

Greame & Luisa Bell e-publish their books themselves. (You should find them on Google). Apparently Amazon takes the biggest chunk of the money if you do it through them.

Due to the 400 photos in my book (12 gigabyte) it is to big for e books
4/Whatever you vividly imagine, ardently desire, sincerely believe in and enthusiastically act upon must come to past-Paul J Mayer

Online dw1

« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2019, 04:26:00 pm »

Agree 100% !

Due to the 400 photos in my book (12 gigabyte) it is to big for e books

For E-Books you can reduce the size of those photos to probably 5-10%. They dont need to be that big for e-reading
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 04:26:56 pm by dw1 »
Current KTM 950 Adv, R80G/S x 2, TW200,  DR200 Djebel,, XR500R
Previous: YAM AG175, BSA Lightning 650, XT500, KAWA KZ1300, XR500R, VF750-4 BMW K100, WR45,0 DR650 x 2,  XT600 Tenere, XR200,

The following users thanked this post: Sabre

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2019, 06:03:10 pm »

Agree 100% !

Well Schalk, spend some money on a bit of a face-lift first. :pot: :peepwall:

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2019, 07:12:17 pm »

Agree 100% !

My dad self published and then hit the marketing to support sales. He made a bit of money out of it and then went the ebooks route via amazon. Its not lucrative unless you sell loads but it can be done and can fund adventures.  Books were printed in China and shipped to ZA. It was relatively cheap to do.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 07:12:51 pm by IceCreamMan »
Africa ain't for sissies hey.

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2019, 02:46:21 am »

Agree 100% !

Well Schalk, spend some money on a bit of a face-lift first. :pot: :peepwall:

Hi 2 StrokeDan yes a Face lift and Tummy tuck.