Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Africa Eco Race 2020  (Read 4867 times)

Offline Crossed-up

Re: Africa Eco Race 2020
« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2020, 01:39:43 pm »
The tracking system show quite a few vehicles took the wrong road out of town and are miles away from the route. Team R2P are all on the correct track.

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2020, 12:22:49 am »
Watch this

to see this

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline Crossed-up

« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2020, 04:43:22 pm »
At least 4 bikers seem to be very lost!

Offline Crossed-up

« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2020, 04:45:38 pm »
I'm sorry to see that Nicola Dutto (the paraplegic) is among them.

Indeed. 2 bikes didn't get away this morning and 6 are horribly astray. They'll have to be rescued, I guess.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 05:51:46 pm by Crossed-up »

Offline Crossed-up

« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2020, 05:56:14 pm »
I do hope Nicola is okay. It looks like one of his support riders is on the way out, while Nicola's bike hasn't moved for some time. (Nor Stephen McEwan, a couple of kays to the east of him.)

Offline zacapa

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • XR650L - 134.217kg lite weight special...
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2020, 09:07:51 pm »
the latest update.

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2020, 12:12:12 pm »
From facebook now. Hope Joey is riding today  :(

From para to Dakar
44 mins ·
I had a call from Joey after he finished yesterday’s stage. On the way back to the bivouac he hit a camel...I know...you literally can’t make this stuff up🙈 There were 3 riders that all hit it but Joey hit it first and I think took most of the impact. Greg was one of the other riders but was still able to ride back to the bivouac. I don’t have much info at all as there’s little to no signal with the guys at the bivouac.

Joey had an 8 hour journey in the back of an ambulance to get to a hospital in St Louis. He had no phone with him and the 2 medics from the rally that were with him couldn’t get signal on their’s, so he eventually got a nurse to lend him his phone at 1:30am this morning our time. He said nothing is broken but they were worried about internal injuries as his tummy was sore. He was getting wheeled off to have his spleen checked out and if it was all clear he would be taken back to the bivouac, if it wasn’t he would be taken to a bigger hospital in Dakar for further x-rays.

After trying to contact everyone I could think of to get some news I took a chance that he was still at the hospital in St Louis and sent a message at 6am to the nurse’s phone asking if there was anything they could tell me. I got a voice note back from him just before 7am to say he’s in the ambulance on the way back to the bivouac, no broken bones and no issues internally. He’s had to have stitches in his forehead and everything else is bruised and battered. He said he would phone me when he was back at the bivouac in 45 minutes, that should have been at 7am our time...

I presumed he wouldn’t be racing today’s stage, but I see his bike is moving, I guess this could mean that either it’s on a back-up vehicle or Joey is riding it?!? I don’t have any other news and I’m guessing at what’s happening right now. I’ll keep everyone updated as soon as I hear more. Thanks for all the continued support✊🏻💚

- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline Serf

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2020, 12:29:33 pm »
From facebook now. Hope Joey is riding today  :(

From para to Dakar
44 mins ·
I had a call from Joey after he finished yesterday’s stage. On the way back to the bivouac he hit a camel...I know...you literally can’t make this stuff up🙈 There were 3 riders that all hit it but Joey hit it first and I think took most of the impact. Greg was one of the other riders but was still able to ride back to the bivouac. I don’t have much info at all as there’s little to no signal with the guys at the bivouac.

Joey had an 8 hour journey in the back of an ambulance to get to a hospital in St Louis. He had no phone with him and the 2 medics from the rally that were with him couldn’t get signal on their’s, so he eventually got a nurse to lend him his phone at 1:30am this morning our time. He said nothing is broken but they were worried about internal injuries as his tummy was sore. He was getting wheeled off to have his spleen checked out and if it was all clear he would be taken back to the bivouac, if it wasn’t he would be taken to a bigger hospital in Dakar for further x-rays.

After trying to contact everyone I could think of to get some news I took a chance that he was still at the hospital in St Louis and sent a message at 6am to the nurse’s phone asking if there was anything they could tell me. I got a voice note back from him just before 7am to say he’s in the ambulance on the way back to the bivouac, no broken bones and no issues internally. He’s had to have stitches in his forehead and everything else is bruised and battered. He said he would phone me when he was back at the bivouac in 45 minutes, that should have been at 7am our time...

I presumed he wouldn’t be racing today’s stage, but I see his bike is moving, I guess this could mean that either it’s on a back-up vehicle or Joey is riding it?!? I don’t have any other news and I’m guessing at what’s happening right now. I’ll keep everyone updated as soon as I hear more. Thanks for all the continued support✊🏻💚

I hope he is okey and that he can finish the last stage! He won't give up without trying.  :thumleft:

Offline Crossed-up

« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2020, 01:03:08 pm »
Dammit Joey - The Cow wasn't enough, now you want the Camel Trophy too! Good luck, mate - we don't have to tell you how to vasbyt.

Offline XT JOE

« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2020, 01:31:12 pm »
Dammit Joey - The Cow wasn't enough, now you want the Camel Trophy too! Good luck, mate - we don't have to tell you how to vasbyt.

:thumleft ;D ;D

I’m taking it that he’s most likely feeling like he’s been hit by...well a camel this morning and aches everywhere but by the sound of his voice he’s ok. I was under the impression he wouldn’t be riding the last stage. But I’ve checked and his bike is moving. I’m not sure if Joey is riding it or if it’s on a service vehicle. I’ve not heard anything more than the messages I’ve sent and just holding onto “no news is good news”. Thanks for all the support💚✊🏻credit SADG
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 01:32:43 pm by XT JOE »
When life gets to hard to stand. kneel

Offline Crossed-up

« Reply #110 on: January 19, 2020, 01:41:29 pm »
He's in!!!!!

The following users thanked this post: Kortbroek

Offline Crossed-up

« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2020, 01:17:42 pm »
Unfortunately there's a bit of controversy going on about Lyndon's protests and a minor kerfuffle just after the podium. You can read about it on AdvRider. I'm just not keen for it to spill over too much here. We simply don't know the facts, nor the regs.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #112 on: January 20, 2020, 08:06:26 pm »
Unfortunately there's a bit of controversy going on about Lyndon's protests and a minor kerfuffle just after the podium. You can read about it on AdvRider. I'm just not keen for it to spill over too much here. We simply don't know the facts, nor the regs.

French Org - par for the course.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline David.H

« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2020, 07:45:08 am »
Here is a letter from Lyndon's Facebook page, explaining the controversy

In response to Gioele Meoni's open letter with regards to the Africa Eco Race 2020, please see my responses below.   

Link to Gioele's letter (google translate for English): https://www.facebook.com/gioele.meoni/posts/10221077837366435?hc_location=ufi

Dear Gioele,

First of all, I want to thank you for the congratulations. The Africa Eco Race for me was an incredible experience and credit to everyone involved, in particularly the race organisation, who made it a really challenging and rewarding experience.  I had an amazing time and rode with some fantastic racers, including the likes of Alessandro Botturi, Pal Anders Ullevalsetter and of course Paulo Lucci.  We created friendship, raced hard and fairly always. 

I am disappointed to see that you write that I did not deserve 3rd place in the rally.  In response to your points I would like to say the following.

With regards to scrutineering in Menton on the 3rd January, you are right, all bikes are checked and cleared by the race stewards of the FIM, that is their job and why they are there.  With regards to the tyres, these are changed regularly throughout the race, often each night as they wear out.  After scrutineering, it is the race team´s responsibility to ensure that the correct and compliant tyres are fitted to each machine for the coming days of racing.  For rally racing, all tyres have to be “E” marked or “DOT” approved in accordance with the FIM’s regulations.  The regulations are put in place to ensure the playing field is level.  Motocross tyres that are not E marked, typically have a taller tread height, giving an advantage to the rider. The regulation stipulates the use of E marked tyres to ensure tread height (and other aspects) are adhered to.  This is the same for most levels of motorcycle completion around the world, particularly those run under FIM rules and this situation is not without precedent in the motorcycle sport.  For example, in 2001 the winner of the ISDE was stripped of his 1st place before the podium due to the use of an incorrect tyre.  In actual fact, under the FIM rules, I believe that any use of a noncompliant tyre at an FIM event is an excludable offence.

Paulo Lucci #151 was not a surprise to me, of course he is a fast racer and hungry for victory just like anyone at the front of the field.  I did know Lucci before the event, but as the event unfolded it was great to see such a young and upcoming rider at the front. 

Up until January 14th, Paolo and I had posted respectable and quite similar times, although I had been in front of him consistently in the general classification with time differences between 9 and 36 minutes. At the end of the stage I was surprised with the big time difference with which he won, when so many people struggled with the navigation at one particular point, including myself. When Paulo asked me where I went wrong, I went to show him on his road book, and to my surprise he did not have the note in his roadbook where things started to go wrong.  A note was added by the organisation in the morning, (to leave the main track onto a +/- visible track at a new cap heading). This note was for one reason or another not in Paolo´s roadbook. Without the note he continued straight and made a huge advantage. Because so many people had that mistake in the roadbook, I simply suggested the organisation to neutralise the stage between the CP and refuelling point in that section. I want to make clear I did NOT made any claim against Paolo as you suggest. I went to talk to the organisation, suggesting the change in the roadbook had created confusion and had skewed the result for many riders in favour of those who did not add it to their roadbook. The decision was made by the organization not to do anything and I did not make any official claim, in the spirit of the race. To say I was the only one to complain, is factually incorrect. I know of more than 5 riders that went to see the organisation about the issue and even more that were talking about it in the bivouac.  To single me out here is not fair, even Botturi, Ullevalsetter and Benko agreed the roadbook was misleading and went the wrong way, as they were riding with me.

Alessandro Botturi complimented me so many time on my riding and navigation, so I asked him today what he really said and I quote, with his permission, his answer: “ I am glad you wrote to me so that you can say what I actually said. I said that he (Lyndon) put himself between me and Ullevalseter and I did not understand why. If he wanted to open piste, it was ok like that, but I did not understand why he put him in between. It was a thing I said out of tiredness at the end of the stage and it was between me and my mechanic. But it got recorded on telephone by the Italian journalist Caracciolo. I was sorry to see they have put out that video.”

On January 18th, going into the final timed stage, I see that Paulo Lucci had opted for Motocross tyres for the “all sand” stage.  Knowing these are forbidden, I asked the FIM to confirm to me if Motocross Tyres are allowed in the Africa Eco Race and to show me the supplementary regulations that allow this.  They could not provide this information and reverted to the FIM regulations which is the standard procedure if the supplementary regulations do not stipulate anything specific.  It is then the FIM official´s decision on the action to take and I have no further say in the subject.

On the shores of Lac Rose, I can confirm that many Italian competitors made me feel very unwelcome, shouting abuse alongside other gestures, something I have never experienced in all my 31 years of competing in motorcycle sport.  For sure I felt singled out but was there to finish the race I started 12 days ago. 

With regards to your question: “Does this premeditation belong to you in a race in which only physical, mental and moral qualities should count, and not bureaucracy?”
The Africa Eco Race is a professional race run under the FIM rules and regulations.  All competitors have to have an FIM licence and start permissions and have to comply by the FIM regulations, just like any other official Cross-Country Rally around the world.  There were 4 full time FIM officials / jury at the event to ensure that these FIM controls are put in place. Of course Physical, Metal and Moral qualities do count and while we are on the subject of Moral which means "concerned with the principles of right and wrong behaviour” or "holding or manifesting high principles for proper conduct”, this is responsibility of all teams at such high calliper events to ensure they comply by the rules. 

Of course, your Father Fabrizio and so many other top racers have been idols of mine for years.  I have been racing motorcycles for 31 years now and Rally Racing since 2011.  I have a massive love for the sport and a huge respect for all the people who participate and make it possible for us.  It is really a truly incredible sport and one that I am sure to be involved in for years to come.  I love to share my stories and experiences in a very open manner and of course I will share the remainder of the Africa Eco Race in a positive but honest reflection of what took place.  I hope you will enjoy seeing it.  Just last year I was fortunate enough to ride one of the genuine 950 Rally bikes that your father raced at the Akrapovic Factory, it really moved me, what your father achieved on those huge machines is really quit something, a legend always.

For me, my spirit and respect for others has always been there and was no different at the Africa Eco Race this year.  Rules are there to be respected also and the FIM simply did what they felt was right under the circumstances of the infringement.  I have nothing against Paulo Lucci or his riding and would only share positive comments about him.  I wish him all the best for his future in rally racing. 

Thank you Gioele for writing this and for giving me the opportunity to answer your questions in the public eye. 

Kind regards,

Lyndon

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2020, 08:05:32 am »
Capiche.  8)

Viva Lyndon.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline David.H

« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2020, 08:14:21 am »
Interesting to see that that the Africa Eco race is being run by the next generation of ex-Dakar racers - sons of Schlesser and Meoni.
Its in the blood.....

Offline XT JOE

« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2020, 08:58:22 am »
Our Joey  all ok and full of smiles again after headbutting a camel- these tough guys from jhb

Africa Eco Race done and dusted! Riding at night in Mauritania, high speed camel attacks and pulling an all nighter in a Senegalese hospital all became part of this crazy adventure. Flippin Awesome! 🏁🇿🇦🤘🏻 @ Dakar, Senegal
When life gets to hard to stand. kneel

Offline David.H

« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2020, 09:19:52 am »
I like the name of the mattress Joey is lying on : "camel crown". Very fitting  :)

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2020, 12:28:47 pm »
Interesting...aprox 72 bikes in total,48 of which are KTM and obviously the strongest team by some margin. Husky have 10 x bikes represented, 7 x mixed smaller brands and lo and behold Yamaha go and clean up with a grand total of 2 x bikes!! :o :imaposer:
KTM are not stepping into 2020 the way they may want to
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline Grunder

« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2020, 11:28:20 am »
Wonder why the videos have stopped coming in?

Last is still stage 8
F800gs