Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Adventure gear: Pants and jacket:  (Read 953 times)

Offline Shane.

• Bike: AJS (all models)
Adventure gear: Pants and jacket:
« on: November 16, 2019, 03:09:38 pm »
Hi everyone,

Iím not into creating or commenting to much in the forum, and still getting to know my way around. If I posted this thread in the wrong place forgive me please...

Just a quick one, looking to purchase my wife and I some good value for money Adventure pants and jackets. Looking for something with good protection, well ventilated, as we reside in hot sunny Mpumalanga / Komatipoort. Looking for something comfortable ...

Any good brands and or on-line local stores you could recommend to shop at please?

Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Grunder

• "bery bery serious...
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
Re: Adventure gear: Pants and jacket:
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 03:46:01 pm »
If you wait long enough the jackets and pants will appear in your thread at great prices
Muscles can't buy mad dog!

Online Chemist

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 07:15:51 pm »
Sizing is always a problem. If you haven't fitted buying online from a store can be a problem. Go and fit some stuff at pitlane and rudemans in Nelspruit. Just to get an idea of what is available. However, as Grunder mentioned, wait for an add on WD. Do keep in mind that proper protection will be extremely warm when wearing in Komati, but it is worth the sweat.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 07:19:09 pm by Chemist »

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 07:42:14 am »
I find that the "coolness" or ventilation of the pants is not a big issue. As long as you don't tuck them into your boots, you'll have some airflow up the legs and not be too hot. But where the jacket is concerned, good design and airflow /ventilation is critical. Both Tourmaster and Assault (and some others, I'd wager) make jackets with decent protection, but the material is mostly a kind of mesh. If your partner pillions, it is especially important, since she gets reduced airflow behind you. My wife has an Assault that is almost useless in winter, being essentially just mesh, but it is fantastic in summer.
These jackets aren't "adventure" jackets, in the sense that they don't make you look like you are on a round the world expedition, but they are cool (as opposed to looking cool).

Gooduck with the search and "cool running".  ;D

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 02:12:09 pm »
I find that the "coolness" or ventilation of the pants is not a big issue. As long as you don't tuck them into your boots, you'll have some airflow up the legs and not be too hot. But where the jacket is concerned, good design and airflow /ventilation is critical. Both Tourmaster and Assault (and some others, I'd wager) make jackets with decent protection, but the material is mostly a kind of mesh. If your partner pillions, it is especially important, since she gets reduced airflow behind you. My wife has an Assault that is almost useless in winter, being essentially just mesh, but it is fantastic in summer.
These jackets aren't "adventure" jackets, in the sense that they don't make you look like you are on a round the world expedition, but they are cool (as opposed to looking cool).

Gooduck with the search and "cool running".  ;D

I find exactly the opposite with pants. My example is not good though, so don't do as I do! I can only wear my riding pants on an exceptionally cold day. 95% of the time I ride in jeans. Better to chance losing some skin if I crash than to know for certain that I will crash, perhaps fatally, when I pass out from the heat.

But, take my advice, don't do as I do!

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 09:09:21 am »
IXS Montevideo jacket. Best jacket I've had and I've had a few. Imho better than the BMW Adventure jacket and half the price.
Pants if you can find them any adventure pants by Rica
Expensive but they will probably last as long as you are riding.
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline Half - Bac

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 09:43:37 am »
Have a look at the Acerbis Adventure Jacket and pants. Great ventilation and protection, and great value for money!

Rudamans can assist you.
Half - Bac

Yamaha PR

Offline Grunder

• "bery bery serious...
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
Muscles can't buy mad dog!

Offline Omninorm

« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 11:03:06 am by Omninorm »
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline DavidMorrisXp

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 12:12:29 pm »
IXS Montevideo jacket. Best jacket I've had and I've had a few. Imho better than the BMW Adventure jacket and half the price.
Pants if you can find them any adventure pants by Rica
Expensive but they will probably last as long as you are riding.

I bought yours and it is a great all round jacket
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

The following users thanked this post: Omninorm

Offline SuperShaka007

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2019, 04:00:14 pm »
Where in Johannesburg area is a good shop/s to buy kit like mentioned above?

I'm also just starting out, and need to get to know the honey holes.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline Zanie

• Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2019, 04:30:31 pm »
The Richa stuff is expensive, but quality - it lasts forever. I bought a jacket and pants combo back in 2014 for R10k. I commute in it daily, I've been on many off-road trips (including 3 Namibia trips), hit the deck relatively hard about 3-5 times, and had uncountable 'side-stand falls'. Yet the material hasn't torn and all the zippers and buttons are still attached and work perfectly.

I use it for summer or winter, due to the removable rain layers (makes it warmer) and the mesh. I know some say mesh is not the greatest idea in super-hot temperature (causes you to gain more heat than lose it), but I've done some difficult riding (Baviaans Kareedouw 4x4 side-entry) in temperatures in the mid-40s and survived. One thing that doesn't work well anymore is that the rainproof layer is no longer that rainproof, but that goes for any rain layers eventually.