Who would like to join the Dan's on a 10 day trip? – THE RIDE REPORT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winters

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT600
thumb-9-C15-CE30-1-CF5-45-F4-946-E-0-E041001-C52-A-1024.jpg

Sani Pass has been on my bucket list for a very long time. Ever since my dad did it for the first time and told me about its magnificent beauty, I just knew that I had to experience it for myself and, more importantly, it had to be on a bike.
Bikes are and have always been part of our lives. My father is without a doubt a bit of a bike fanatic, he lives and breathes motorbikes, and from a young age, I was exposed to the sport. I can clearly remember racing my Italjet on oval tracks in the old Transvaal. I even had my own mini motocross track in our backyard which my dad had built for me. Our weekends were spent riding the mine quarries. Just the two of us. It was the perfect childhood.
At the end of this year, my wife and I will be emigrating to the Netherlands. We’ve been planning this move for a while but one thing was certain: I could not leave for Europe before experiencing Sani Pass for myself. So, with a deadline lurking, we started planning for this trip of a lifetime.
View our planning here: https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=238210.0

The team

2StrokeDan – Wooden spoon holder; no further info needed.

MiniDan – Offspring of the guy with the wooden spoon.

Andy (aka “Dries”) – Andreas Lenz is an avid biker hailing from Germany. His current bike collection includes a BMW1000SS, a custom Harley, a 701, an HP2 Megamoto and a 690 that he leaves in SA. This visit to SA was his third for the year and all of them were for bike trips. 2StrokeDan met him via John from Wildwood Adventures and when he was invited to join the Lesotho expedition, Dries was quick to reply with a “yes please!”.

Andy-Harley.jpg

Andy's custom Harley

Now you may wonder how a tall German guy by the name of Andy turned into Dries…On one of our trailered sections, we were chatting and the German wanted to know what the Afrikaans equivalent would be for “Andreas”. We said it would probably be “Andries” but I mentioned that I would rather just call him “Dries”. Andy then piped up: “I like that, you can call me that.” And so “Dries” stuck.

The bikes
Andy had his 690, 2StrokeDan was on his 701 and here I would like to give a huge shoutout to Gideon Joubert aka GJ on the forum. For a small fee, he lent me his 701 for this trip. While I have full confidence in my trusty old XT, the 701 is just a lot more fun. Dankie Oom…