Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: South africans in UK who have renewed a SA passport.....needing help.  (Read 491 times)

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
Re: South africans in UK who have renewed a SA passport.....needing help.
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2019, 07:38:30 pm »
My wife, SA born, got her UK citizenship about 1 month ago. She had to get the letter, which she got fro DHA. Was easy, as I recall, but she did go there in person.

This corresponds with your post for someone who is SA first, then applying for other nationality.

I, like you, was UK first, then had SA forced on me in exchange for national service......  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 07:43:40 pm by Cracker »
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Pumbaa

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • Africa Cycle Tours
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2019, 12:45:41 am »
You citizenship might be revoked without the letter, but you will always have the right to live in SA. There are different processes to follow for this. It happens to a lot of people.
I applied for the retention letter before acquiring British citizenship in 2003. Every time I renewed my passport (once in Australia and once in Netherlands) I just to produce the letter.
Our son has dual citizenship from birth and no letter is needed for this.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Africa Cycle Tours - Offering supported bicycle tours

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2019, 07:53:44 am »
Cheers @alphadog  - that is the details I was looking for, I have it somewhere as well......

And @Pumbaa is also correct, you can live here, but not as a Citizen, in my sisters case - she does not have that letter of permission as it did not exsist when she applied for her UK Citizenship & Passport, and then she let her SA passport lapse (THis is the Actual problem) and then entered SA on her UK Passport - that is illegal ito of the SA legislation...

Anyhoo - enough hijacking from me, lets hope alphadog comes right - certainly heading in the right direction!!

:thumleft:
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!