Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DR 650 rear hub  (Read 158 times)

Offline the ruffian

DR 650 rear hub
« on: November 24, 2019, 07:14:17 pm »
While cleaning my chain, and when I grabbed the rear sprocket, I noticed that there was play between it and the hub itself. Is this normal?

Online edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
Re: DR 650 rear hub
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 07:13:21 am »
Hi Keith, that hub has what are known as cush rubbers that act as shock absorbers whilst accelerating to give the gearbox some slack so there is a bit of play but the cush rubbers can also themselves wear out so you should take the hub off to check  :thumleft:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline the ruffian

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 10:41:40 am »
I suspected as much, but thanks for confirming , Andre...

Offline the ruffian

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 12:31:50 pm »
Further on this, then:

The Cush rubbers and the Cush bearing are worn, and will need replacing, and I might as well replace the wheel bearing as well. The bike has done 28,000 ks, at least 20 of which have been on dirt, which according to other internet sources is quite good longevity for Cush rubbers on the DR 650.

I did sense a problem while riding gravel highway and experiencing a torsional vibration/tension at the lowest of the rev range that one would travel at in top gear: ie approximately 80 kph.

Any other DR owners care to share their insights on Cush wear/ failure?

And thanks to Edgy for the initial analysis in response to my query...

Offline Ri

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 09:31:02 am »
Further on this, then:

The Cush rubbers and the Cush bearing are worn, and will need replacing, and I might as well replace the wheel bearing as well. The bike has done 28,000 ks, at least 20 of which have been on dirt, which according to other internet sources is quite good longevity for Cush rubbers on the DR 650.

I did sense a problem while riding gravel highway and experiencing a torsional vibration/tension at the lowest of the rev range that one would travel at in top gear: ie approximately 80 kph.

Any other DR owners care to share their insights on Cush wear/ failure?

And thanks to Edgy for the initial analysis in response to my query...

Cush wear / failure apparently fairly rare on DR650 as it's made from a good composite. Robin Brown planned to make a mould of a DR650 so he could produce cush rubbers but seems demand is low. He can get it done for R800 for a set, I think he said. I think @Dux might have a spare set if you're looking. Could probably also provide some information.