Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: First time Iíve seen this - or rubbish Iíve bought  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
First time Iíve seen this - or rubbish Iíve bought
« on: November 30, 2019, 11:12:11 am »
Iíve bought 3 bikes on Wilddogs. Each one has been below expectation, but then I buy from Upington with only the photos to go on and then courier it.
Take the last one: it was a cheap YZ125, but it was sold as a non-runner. Iím now R7k into spares and about R10k into labour. I pulled the front wheel this morning, as it had a bit of a wobble. Hopefully wheel bearings and a quick straighten. Wheel is cracked through and the damage has been painted over. Not cool. Some laaitie could have been badly hurt.

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
Re: First time Iíve seen this - or rubbish Iíve bought
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 11:16:00 am »
 :'( :'(
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 11:20:28 am »
Not good.
I will not buy a bike if not checked by myself or a known WD before purchase.
Buying a non-runner is always a big risk as the previous owner might have also bought it like that and not known about all the issues.
I hope you get it sorted and that you get rewarded with years of pleasure.
At least you will know it is right when finished.
Dakar 650
SR 500

Online Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 11:26:33 am »
Iíve bought vehicles/bikes 6 times unseen.  Only once did the item meet my expectation.  The rest all cost me a small fortune to get it up to standard.  Iíve vowed to never do it again.  I like to believe that  people donít necessarily lie or intentionally hide things, more a matter of you donít know what you donít know. 
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 11:38:50 am »
Iíve bought vehicles/bikes 6 times unseen.  Only once did the item meet my expectation.  The rest all cost me a small fortune to get it up to standard.  Iíve vowed to never do it again.  I like to believe that  people donít necessarily lie or intentionally hide things, more a matter of you donít know what you donít know.
Bought a car unseen, no issues, bought a 4 x 4 went and saw it minimal issues.
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 11:56:19 am »
Wait till you buy houses through an estate agent.

A whole parallel universe vocabulary and blindness to add. :thumleft:

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 12:23:19 pm »
Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you dont.

Buying a used dirtbike is always a risky thing.

And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 12:23:48 pm »
I bought a car that I personally inspected twice (second time was with a friend to get a fresh set of eyes), and had checked out by Dekra prior to purchase.
So far it has cost me over R30k in repairs, and it still gives issues.

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 01:00:17 pm »
Sal jou leer om n Land Rover te koop.

And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2019, 01:35:02 pm »

Patching a crack in a wheel and then painting it:  I think the seller might have thought it was a wall🤣

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2019, 01:42:39 pm »
Also bought a WD dud from Upington, lots of moola to get it proper.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2019, 02:03:06 pm »
I truly believe that, considering the very low average mechanical knowledge of riders today, many of the faults on bikes were unknown to the owner.

I regularly get cars in for a service, and theowner tells me; "There's nothing wrong, it's probably just an oil change".

Then on the testdrive even I hear a very noisy wheelbearing, the brakes shudder when stopping, etc.

The masses do not know, honestly.

Bo blink, onder stink. If the bike looks good, it is good. :pot:

Online Noneking

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2019, 02:18:56 pm »
I truly believe that, considering the very low average mechanical knowledge of riders today, many of the faults on bikes were unknown to the owner.

I regularly get cars in for a service, and theowner tells me; "There's nothing wrong, it's probably just an oil change".

Then on the testdrive even I hear a very noisy wheelbearing, the brakes shudder when stopping, etc.

The masses do not know, honestly.

Bo blink, onder stink. If the bike looks good, it is good. :pot:

Very valid point!

Couple of years ago, I bought a HP2 on WD for a good price. Seller assured me the bike was in great condition. The bike arrived with several issues like perished brake line, missing bolts and screws etc. Bike stood at my house for a few weeks while I started cleaning it up. Eventually I was ready to service it and to my horror, it had inhaled the air filter and heaps of grass and dust. I had not ridden the bike at this point and immediately contacted the seller. He immediately refunded the full selling price without any arguments and arranged for the bike to be picked up from my house.

I honestly donít think seller was aware of these issues and his handling of the situation was exemplary!

2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2019, 02:33:46 pm »
OMG, but yes the mechanical aptitude level of MANY is scary, a guy bought a BMC Air filter from me, asked me to fit it, open the air box and there is a BMC that hasnít seen the light of day in years, like slightly dry, I donít think he knew where the filter was. 🙄🙄 and yes, a keyboard expert on the bikes🙄
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 02:36:08 pm by Welsh »
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline Altie7deLaan

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Choose orange. Choose Stihl.
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2019, 02:46:00 pm »
Not nice....Whether you knowingly sell a lemon, or unknowingly buying one.
On a side note:  What  really gets me nowadays, is these ads proclaiming "barn find", which usually means pay me  a ridiculous price for a piece of shit.
xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs

Kaboef:  "Ek dink BMW gooi drank in hul koffie en muffins. Want as jy dronk is, koop jy enige kak."

Offline Sabre

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2019, 02:43:49 pm »
I've bought stuff from WDs (including my 1150GS), and was very happy with all of them  :thumleft:
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Wanneer vat ons vog?
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2019, 03:12:39 pm »
OMG, but yes the mechanical aptitude level of MANY is scary...

I will be the first to admit that is me.

Honestly, some of us just don't care about the inner workings of the mystical engine. When we have drinks and the okes start talking about the dark arts that happen inside an engine I just politely nod my head knowing full well we will soon move to another subject I might know something about.

I know the very basics, and frankly I am not interested in learning. I pay guys like Julian at Superbike Solutions, a guy with vastly more knowledge than little old me to look after the mechanical side of my bike, all I do is get on it and ride the thing (...poorly I might add...) and I can't see that ever changing.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2019, 03:55:28 pm »

Honestly, some of us just don't care about the inner workings of the mystical engine. When we have drinks and the okes start talking about the dark arts that happen inside an engine I just politely nod my head knowing full well we will soon move to another subject I might know something about.

I know the very basics, and frankly I am not interested in learning. I pay guys like Julian at Superbike Solutions, a guy with vastly more knowledge than little old me to look after the mechanical side of my bike, all I do is get on it and ride the thing (...poorly I might add...) and I can't see that ever changing.

It does not have to change. Different strokes for different folks.

Online Noneking

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2019, 06:14:18 pm »

I've been the same for most of my life....... ::)

Only fairly recently started doing a few basic things myself and find it very rewarding. Having knowledgeable guys like @JesseH and @chopperpilot close by to give advice or a hand helps a great deal.
I will stick to the basics though, replacing fluids, filters and lubricating things that need lubricating.

2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2019, 09:34:15 pm »

I've been the same for most of my life....... ::)

Only fairly recently started doing a few basic things myself and find it very rewarding. Having knowledgeable guys like @JesseH and @chopperpilot close by to give advice or a hand helps a great deal.
I will stick to the basics though, replacing fluids, filters and lubricating things that need lubricating.

Actually very few people without the ability to learn about mechanical stuff, but if your interest is not there it becomes a chore too big to bother about.

But.......if you do make the effort, like in your case, you could find it very rewarding with the spin-off of saving money and getting familiar with your machine.