Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: First time Iíve seen this - or rubbish Iíve bought  (Read 1331 times)

Offline OomD

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
Re: First time Iíve seen this - or rubbish Iíve bought
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2019, 07:15:35 am »
I agree, 2SD, that your interest needs to be there to enjoy it. I simply love taking my bike apart for whatever reason, even built myself a bike lift and all. But, no matter how many times I pull my sons in to help and teach them too (even to the point of having overhauled two car engines with them) their interest is simply elsewhere.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2019, 07:24:11 am »
I agree, 2SD, that your interest needs to be there to enjoy it. I simply love taking my bike apart for whatever reason, even built myself a bike lift and all. But, no matter how many times I pull my sons in to help and teach them too (even to the point of having overhauled two car engines with them) their interest is simply elsewhere.

It is something that cannot be forced, and of course shouldn't.

The following users thanked this post: OomD

Offline Ouman

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2019, 07:31:45 am »
I also bought a few bikes on this forum over the years. All of them very good except for two!

Bought a F800GS ADV from a Dawg in Pretoria and rode it to Worcester. I took it to Donford for a service and the next day they phoned! Long story short! R43k damage to the bike!. This Dawg refunded me my money, paid for the service and refunded me to get the bike back to Pretoria!

Another twatwaffle however sold me a DR650! Rims cracked, no brakes, leaking fork seals! Plus a long list of other things! And this for a bike in "prime" condition! I told this guy at the time exactly what I thought of him. Also promised that should he ever wants to sell something on this forum again I'll feel obliged to warm my fellow Dogs about the manner in which this guy describes a bike and to tread carefully!

Some you win and some you loose! But it should not have to be this way!
The more bugs in the  teeth....the happier I get!!!!!

Offline JesseH

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2019, 07:32:04 am »
@Noneking there are many things way beyond my comprehension but certain things can easily be learnt like the correct technique to fixing a puncture in the bush etc.

I agree though, 1: Ita huge help in having maats around that know a lot more than myself/oneself and 2: the interest needs to be there.

I for one am real interested in the inner workings, but time is never on my side to delve deeper and learn all that I can. With the time factor, I find it a lot better for my sanity to sometimes send the machine in to get professional attention. Other times, it can indeed be very rewarding to fix problems or maintain your own bike!

I have come to realize though, that I have an electrical-issue allergy. I know after some hard lessons to stay away from electric things like batteries and wiring :imaposer:
Ex Cagiva Elefant E750 1994
Ex Cagiva Gran Canyon 900IE 2000
Ex Triumph Tiger 800XC 2011
KTM 625 SXC 2007
KTM 950 S 2005

Offline fixit

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2019, 07:34:19 am »

I agree, but todays laaties mostly headed in the clean hands direction. Both my daughters are involved with puftas that won't get drop of oil on their hands.
My eldest daughter's boyfriend sat in his broken down car, with my daughter next to him outside Alexadria in the dark. I had to race down from East London to help them, When I got there, they had locked themselves in the car, panicking their asses off. Only to find a fuel pipe had come off. I just pushed it back on and cable tied it, so that they could keep going.
I think every man should at least have the basic knowledge of simple mechanical stuff. It could just save your life.

Offline Ganjora

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2019, 07:41:42 am »
My eldest daughter's boyfriend sat in his broken down car, with my daughter next to him outside Alexadria in the dark. I had to race down from East London to help them, When I got there, they had locked themselves in the car, panicking their asses off. Only to find a fuel pipe had come off. I just pushed it back on and cable tied it, so that they could keep going.

that's just pathetic.
i cannot fix anything either,  but i can always find someone close by who can.
 :thumleft:

cannot imagine anything more embarrassing than being saved my my GF's father...

Offline JesseH

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2019, 08:03:48 am »

Especially if you're married, hey? :peepwall: :lol8:
Ex Cagiva Elefant E750 1994
Ex Cagiva Gran Canyon 900IE 2000
Ex Triumph Tiger 800XC 2011
KTM 625 SXC 2007
KTM 950 S 2005

Offline WNaude

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2019, 08:28:32 am »
OMG, but yes the mechanical aptitude level of MANY is scary...

I will be the first to admit that is me.

Honestly, some of us just don't care about the inner workings of the mystical engine. When we have drinks and the okes start talking about the dark arts that happen inside an engine I just politely nod my head knowing full well we will soon move to another subject I might know something about.

I know the very basics, and frankly I am not interested in learning. I pay guys like Julian at Superbike Solutions, a guy with vastly more knowledge than little old me to look after the mechanical side of my bike, all I do is get on it and ride the thing (...poorly I might add...) and I can't see that ever changing.

I've been the same for most of my life....... ::)

Only fairly recently started doing a few basic things myself and find it very rewarding. Having knowledgeable guys like @JesseH and @chopperpilot close by to give advice or a hand helps a great deal.
I will stick to the basics though, replacing fluids, filters and lubricating things that need lubricating.

Actually very few people without the ability to learn about mechanical stuff, but if your interest is not there it becomes a chore too big to bother about.

But.......if you do make the effort, like in your case, you could find it very rewarding with the spin-off of saving money and getting familiar with your machine.

Couldn't agree with you more 2SD.

Few years ago I bought my first bike after saving every penny during my school days. I was determined to buy my own bike myself, only then do you really take proper care of it. Kawasaki KX450, a real beast. Saw one for a good price, phoned the guy, "luister seun, jy gaan nie 'n bike in 'n beter kondisie kry as die nie"

Went one day during lunch time, pitched up there looking all formal with the cash ready. Took the bike for a spin around the block, donner this thing goes like a jet, paid the oke right there and took the bike home. Few weeks later I got the urge of servicing the bike myself, only the basic stuff, as that is the only thing a knew at that time, oil, filter and sprockets.

Wanted to loosen the oil drain bolt only to realize the guy must have hit a rock or something because there was no bolt, he filled the massive hole with silicone. Took the bike in, R4000 later and 2 attempts to welding it back up. Bike always leaked oil from that day.

I do think the guy should have told me about that. But I also think that if I had more experience I would have checked underneath the bike for any leaks and go through the basics.

Since then I've developed the urge to gain as much knowledge as I can to prevent similar situations in the future.

How can someone not tell you about something like that. And till today these situations occur often.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 08:32:24 am by WNaude »
I don't ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days!

1982 R100RS, 1980 XR250, 1982 XR500R,

Offline Manic

• CE
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2019, 08:41:26 am »
Ek het ook 2 spotless bikes, klim net op en ry, gekoop op WD.

Elke bike was ook R25k later gewees.

3de bike by n WD pel gekoop in die Kaap, hy was genuine klim op en ry, en was beter as spotless gewees  :biggrin:
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2019, 08:46:50 am »
Bought many things unseen off the forum and mostly very happy with the purchases, including a car from @Ouman which has served my son well over the last few years

But buying a bike unseen from a forum member is always going to be a risk and I guess you accept that risk when you transfer the funds without seeing the bike.

Burnt my fingers once with a bike that was advertised as having "8000km on the clock" When it arrived it did have 8000km on the clock, but I could quite easily see there was no ways this bike had only done 8000km. My suspicions were confirmed when a friendly WD member pm'd me and told me that the clock had been changed and this bike had been around the block more than a few times.

Anyway as it turns out the bike was awesome and never let me down.   :biggrin: :ricky:
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline fixit

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2019, 09:10:38 am »
Bought quite a few items from fellow WD's, only one lemon, which I managed to get rid of for the same price I paid for it.
Note to self, never buy a bakkie that has just been rubberized... :imaposer:
They just plak the rubber straight over all the rust and one year down the road the whole floor just goes to hell.

The problem with buying nowdays is that the number of members has increased so dramatically with a coule of pawn brokers joing the ranks, so you have to be careful.

Offline Fario

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2019, 09:50:04 am »
I have a rule which i seldom break. Buy a runner and ride it yourself before buying (or get someone you trust to do that for you). A ride will usually tell you the condition of the bike.

My hobby is restoring old bikes and occasionally one is forced to take a chance. Sometimes one is lucky, mostly big bucks have to spent.
Current: KTM 950, Honda Elsinore MT 250, MTX50R,Yamaha RD 350A, Yamaha RD 50, Yamaha RD400C, Yamaha RD400D,DT50LC, RZ50, TZR50R track bike
BMW F800GS (ex)...boring bike
BMW Dakar 07 (ex)....boring bike
KDX200 1991 (ex) Yamaha YZ's 125 (3) Suzuki RM 125 1989(ex) Yamaha IT 175 1980 Bultaco Pursang Mk 9 (70's) Honda MT250 Elsinore (70's) Yamaha Mini-Enduro 50 (70's) Bridgestone 50 Suzuki B120, Suzuki TS185, Montesa Cappra 250, KTM 250 XCF-W 2008, Yamaha IT250H, Yamaha IT175K

Online Gťrrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2019, 09:58:18 am »

Its called having the 'knack' .I treied roping my son into the  workshop when he was younger, not much interested. When he wanted to ride my Airheads I said only if you spend time with me and get some mechanical knowledge. He tried but it did not work.

This weekend my youngest wanted to make to plant holders. Showed her the tools and how the machines worked and under my supervision she made it herself. She wants too and understands.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 10:03:25 am by Gťrrard »
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Wanneer vat ons vog?
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2019, 10:05:00 am »

Good grief... if my skoonpa had to come help me out with something mechanical I will commit harakiri...

I am useless but that dude. Yo...

Maybe it is time I learned what a piston does...

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2019, 10:08:51 am »

Good grief... if my skoonpa had to come help me out with something mechanical I will commit harakiri...

Well, the wipers wipe and the tappets tap. Figuring out a piston should not be too hard.  :lol8:

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Wanneer vat ons vog?
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2019, 10:09:39 am »

Well, the wipers wipe and the tappets tap. Figuring out a piston should not be too hard.  :lol8:

So a piston pisses?

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2019, 10:14:04 am »

So a piston pisses?
If it slaps, it will quickly become scrap metal! :imaposer:
My youngest did everything with me in the workshop when on the farm, but since leaving there he lost interest.
My one fosterchild was like a sponge, he just absorbed everything and wanted to do everything. :thumleft:
Some have the interest and others not.
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2019, 10:25:32 am »
Very seldom do you buy something 2nd hand anywhere that doesn't need some attention.
If I take my current XR for instance, bought it in great condition but it still had a few niggles to sort out. I don't mind though, it was 2nd hand after all and I'd been given enough info on the bikes history. I'm using it quite hard and when I eventually sell it on the new owner will know he's buying something that is working 100% even though it might be showing wear and tear so will need some maintenance.

What pisses me off big time though is like with the example of the painted rims above, when people try to hide issues from you. I'm fortunate that I've only had this happen to me twice and both times I've actually got only myself to blame for not picking it up.
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Online Gťrrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2019, 10:56:42 am »
You win some, you loose some, especially if you buy and sell bikes more often than necessary  :lol8: I've bought some duds off the forum (which were not supposed to be) and then I've bought some beauts (which were supposed to be) like my KLR650 and V-Strom.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline fixit

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2019, 11:07:39 am »

Yip, drove 300km to push a pipe back on.  >:(

He is a musician. Today he makes more money than me, so he can now afford to have BMW and AA on call.  :biggrin:
Moral of the story, if you can't help yourself with basic stuff,  you need to make good money not to be a inconvenience to friends and family... :imaposer: