Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: First time Iíve seen this - or rubbish Iíve bought  (Read 1332 times)

Offline BuRP

Re: First time Iíve seen this - or rubbish Iíve bought
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2019, 11:09:02 am »
If it slaps, it will quickly become scrap metal!

Well now Dan, perhaps it is time for you to explain - but better - to Grrrr what a slapper is?

:P
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2016 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

Offline Grahamrob

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2019, 11:44:28 am »
Ok, so it was me who 'worked' on this bike and sold it to Bill.

I appreciate not being named and shamed, but I want discuss it.

Anyway, I bought this bike years and years ago with the idea of learning some mechanical skills in terms of fiddling on the bike. I didnt actually ride it much, just the occasional spin in the veld.

I eventually stripped it down to every nut and bolt, but, quickly realized I didnt have the skill to fiddle with the motor, and so I pulled it out the frame and put it aside, there wasnt actually any need to fiddle with it anyway as the bike was running before I pulled it apart - I wont forget the last ride, a mate and me had a good jol with it in the veld that day.

The front wheel - soon after I bought it I noticed it had a wobble, and a flat spot. I bought new bearings and put those in, but it still wobbled, seemed to be a hub issue, so I left that for another day to work out how to fix/what to buy to replace.

Fast forward to the stripping project, and the project very quickly turned into a project of wanting to just make it look nice and shiny, and just something cool to have parked in the garage, as I realized my mechanical skills were terrible. So, as part of this I painted the wheels black. I did notice the crack, and to be perfectly honest I wasn't too phased about it, it was a couple mm long, maybe 3mm, right on the edge of the rim. I wasn't phased for two reasons - the one being, as I said, the idea was it would just be a cool thing parked in the garage, and, second, my obvious ignorance in terms of what a crack does on a rim.

I received a message from Bill on the weekend, which, to be honest rattled me. It came with a photo of the crack, now with the tyre off the rim, its a much bigger crack than what I could see. It looks like its run across the whole rim width!

I can honestly say, if I had seen that crack properly, with the tyre off, even with my lackadaisical nature, I wouldn't have painted that wheel, and would have chucked it out. I had no reason to try and hide things on that bike, as, as I said, my plan was to just park it.

As things go, the garage got too full, wife started chirping, and so the bike had to get out of the way, again, I had no goals of trying to make money out of it. I honestly didnt even think about the crack during the sale and was only reminded of it from the recent message. I was more concerned explaining that the thing didnt want to start or run nicely once I had put it all back together.

The following users thanked this post: Whatsupwes

Offline WildWood

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Real dual-sport adventure tours
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2019, 07:51:18 am »
What a cool reply. Both parties seem like decent chaps. Could so easily have turned into social media slugfest.

Offline WildWood

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Real dual-sport adventure tours
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2019, 08:07:34 am »
On a side note. Before buying a dirt bike one should learn  the absolute basics of bike  maintenance and servicing. I canít believe guys buy a dirt bike and donít change/clean the air filter after every dusty ride. Many have never taken it out or know where it is. Check the water and oil  levels, chain, tires etc.

And how can you go on an adventure trip without some basic mechanical knowledge.?

If youíre buying off the net get a knowledgeable mate to ask them he right now questions at least.

Perhaps chat to the dealer in the local town. They often know the history of bikes and given the vin no can shed some light.