All over the Overberg

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloudgazer

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
All over the Overberg.
A very boring ride report.

Took a little midweek break last week.
We only had one night so couldn’t go too far, so decided to explore as much of the Overberg on dirt as possible.

It’s the usual trudge leaving Cape Town, going through somerset west and up Sir Lowry’s pass, but once that’s out of the way the riding is superb.
We turned off the N2 at Grabouw by the Peregrine Farmstall, and headed down to the Highlands road.
This was my first bit of dirt on more than a year.
We followed a whole lot of dirt roads, passing by Shaw’s Mountain, Tesselaarsdal and Akkedisberg Pass down to Baardskeedersbos – a cute little one horse town where we stopped for lunch.

From there we went via Elim down to StruisBaai and Cape Agulhas. It really amazed me how many tourists are out and about on a Tuesday morning.
After doing the touristy thing ourselves, we stocked up on some alcohol and food, and barreled up to Bredadorp, where we turned onto the dirt again for the last 35 or so kms to De Hoop Nature reserve.
As we hit the dirt, the front tyre on the Sertao deflated. My heart always sinks when something like that happens. The thought of changing a tyre did not appeal to me, especially without destination so close.
Howeve,r we were in luck it was not a puncture, just a leaky valve which we fixed pronto.

I haven’t been to De Hoop in many many years, and they’ve upgraded the whole place. It’s fairly expensive for a campsite (R400 per night) but definitely well worth the cost for the views alone.
If you plan on camping there, insist on campsites 1 or 5 – they offer the best views!
The next morning we took some dirt roads all the way to Riversonderend via Protem. From there we went to Greyton and Genadendal and onto lunch at Houwhoek farmstall.
From there is was tar all the way back home.
Certainly not a bad way to spend a Tuesday and Wednesday.
As you can see from the map I’ve covered a lot of the Overberg in the past, so it was really great to discover new roads.
The road from Greyton to Genadendal was absolutely beautiful.

Attachments

• 1-justmap.jpg
    1-justmap.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 236
  • 1-dust.jpg
    1-dust.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 236
  • 1-dust2.jpg
    1-dust2.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 227
  • 1-harbourpic.jpg
    1-harbourpic.jpg