Motorcycle travel in Namibia

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildWood

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
Are our days of unlimited access over in Namibia?

The past couple of years has seen a huge increase in adventure biking and 4x4 touring in Namibia, both in Kaokoland and the wide open southern regions. The wilderness areas have largely been unregulated other than the coastal concessions but I get the feeling that's all about to change.

Too often I've heard stories of bikers speeding down river beds, scant regard for staying on tracks and scaring the shit out of the elephants and other animals. I've been approached by conservation officials in the past and quizzed about my attitude to riding amongst the animals and told stories of biking groups scaring the wildlife and having no regard for other users, photographers etc. If you see a 4x4 or tour truck stopped somewhere there is a 90% chance they are viewing something. Use your brain and stop and wait until they've moved on because sure as shit the noise of your bike(s) is going to scare off what they were enjoying.

Riding off the tracks especially in sandy areas is a no no. If your bike is to big then choose routes you and it can handle as this is really pissing off the conservation guys. And it's no mean feat to ride a big twin on a sandy two-track at 40kph. And that's the speed limit in the river beds. Only two weeks ago three German blokes came speeding down the Hoanib River through a wildlife documentary film shoot and completely ruining the shot of an elephant troupe. Word has gotten around and there is a fresh impetus to ban bikes from all river beds. On two occasions (both in coffee shops with my bike parked outside) I was approached by angry guides venting about bike tourers. At the gas station in Usakos (had 8 x 690's on a trailer) a tour operator quizzed me about where we ride and went off about bikes having no regard for and damaging there beautiful country. Remember tourism is the lifeblood of Namibia and bikes are a tiny insignificant portion of this.

In November I rented my fleet of bikes to an Italian tour company with their own guides and support crew. I went along to keep an eye on my bikes and it all ended badly when I, after endless warnings for riding off the tracks, speeding and generally being arseholes pulled the bikes from the tour and had my back-up guys fetch the bikes. I was just about lynched by the group for withdrawing the bikes short of the contract and ultimately charge at the police station for nor honouring my contract but I couldn't let them continue. Two days later with bikes on the trailer heading back to Windhoek I was questioned by a tour operator and asked if I was part of the Italian group who intimated they had caused a stir with their bad behaviour. It's a small population and news, especially bad travels fast.

So guys think about how and where you ride. Tour operators stay with and monitor your groups 100% of the time and let us preserve the right to visit these amazing places. And remember we're guests in a foreign country.

I recently rented my bikes to an Italian tour company and went along to keep an eye on my fleet of 690's.